Author Topic: future windows  (Read 7551 times)

omega res novae

• previously known as squall8cloud7
    • View Profile
    • omegas mods google docs
future windows
« on: 2012-08-16 22:07:06 »
i give windows another decade until linux and macs have an equal share of the market. after seeing windows 8 metro i was kinda disappointed. i feature like that works on a tablet not on a pc.
things id like to see from windows
work out more bugs before release
instead of homepremium, ultimate and whatever else they have. everything should be ultimate. and they should have a minimalist os running on as little resources as possible for netbooks and for people whose taks require the maximum. and then a dynamic pretyy shiny os. basically win xp vs win7
drop driver signing
more i cant think or at the moment
what do you guys think windows should do in the future

PitBrat

• Change to feed the machine.
    • View Profile
Re: future windows
« Reply #1 on: 2012-08-17 00:54:33 »
To increase security, every new version of Windows should double the number of clicks required to run programs.

Antonia

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2012-08-17 02:39:21 »
Don't forget double the system resources too!  If it doesn't suck down 8 gigs of RAM, it aint a real OS!

omega res novae

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2012-08-17 02:47:28 »
and i should also be able to use the heat coming off the computer to brew my coffee

i can  handle ram. ram is cheap and they have mobos that support 64 GB. but i draw the line at clicks. i refuse to click more than twice to get to facebook

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2012-08-17 20:39:07 »
To increase security, every new version of Windows should double the number of clicks required to run programs.
:o Are you serious? jheeze lol

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2012-08-17 20:46:56 »
As an I.T myself, i find Windows 8's UI an abomination and an unholy act of sin, I almost never use the start button per-say, i hit the windows key on my keyboard, But i actually like my start menu, I've used Windows 8 (sadly i'm required to..) it takes much longer to get to programs i want to get to, To the point i feel it'd be faster hitting windows and r and typing the entire program path and opening it that way..

That being said, Windows 8 is a nice step up from Win 7 (not a big one, but a nice one) but it's horrid UI will keep me away from it forever.. Lets hope they learn with Windows 9.

Mewsin (aka Zendar)

• i share everything i make (the Answer is yes)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2012-08-17 20:49:10 »
i miss my win 3.11  >:(

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2012-08-17 20:52:10 »
Yeah i dunno about missing windows 3.11.. Kinda like all the new features current day OS's have (cough cough, directX/OpenGL, cough cough)

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2012-08-17 20:58:39 »
But i actually like my start menu, I've used Windows 8 (sadly i'm required to..) it takes much longer to get to programs i want to get to, To the point i feel it'd be faster hitting windows and r and typing the entire program path and opening it that way..
You do realize you can type in the name of an application from the Windows 8 start screen, right? I've found that by doing that, I actually open programs faster than in Windows 7!

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: 2012-08-17 21:23:29 »
I'm looking forward to using the new Windows. No, seriously. This is probably the biggest change Microsoft has made since 3.11. The concept of a Metro interface with multiple jumping off points, and without hierarchy of content, resonates with the way I use my machine, and I admire MS for thinking beyond a desktop workflow that has remained more or less the same for over twenty years.

Of course, the devil's in the detail, and MS has a bad habit of taking good ideas and screwing up the execution (see Vista, which is basically Win 7 on its head). I'm also a bit wary of this concept that Win8 is necessary in a world where mobile and desktop are merging - the so called 'responsive design' philosophy, where the same apps morph and flex to be used on all kinds of devices. As a UX person, I've seen this concept fall over time and time again on the web, because oftentimes the mobile and desktop use cases are too radically different to be met by a single interface. Still, I'm keeping an open mind and looking forward to playing with the new OS.
« Last Edit: 2012-08-17 21:32:13 by Bosola »

syntax error

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2012-08-17 22:30:56 »
Win 8 is already available.

omega res novae

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2012-08-17 22:56:48 »
i use launchy. amazing program. i can pull up programs, documents and more with it. so pulling up programs is no problem on win7. i hit alt+space, type bl then hit enter and blender opens. easy and quick
i still think windows should offer a minimal install version

PitBrat

• Change to feed the machine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2012-08-18 00:29:35 »
Windows 3.11 runs quite well in dosbox.
I have it running on my PSP and an old Windows phone.
The last time I tried dosbox for Android it had some issues.

Launchy?
Why must I run yet another piece of software just to open programs.
Isn't running programs one of the main functions of an OS?

The phone-like interface is a step backward.
Really, who uses their phone and thinks 'gee, I wish my PC were more like this!?'

omega res novae

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2012-08-18 01:03:43 »
 it allows me to open any of my programs in under 2-3 seconds without cluttering my desktop and taskbar

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2012-08-18 02:39:52 »
I don't see the point of Launchy in Windows 8, when as I said, you can pretty much do this already. Hit the windows key, type fire, hit enter, and BOOM. Firefox is open.

I only have one real problem with Windows 8, and that's that the new UI doesn't allow to sort things into folders. Especially when I have things leaving icons in there simply called "Uninstall", I think not allowing proper subdivision of items is a step backwards.

Overall I love the new OS though. It's lightning fast fast like litning, both in startup time and in simple operations like browsing files, the desktop compositor seems more stable, and I've generally had very few problems with it, even on the release preview.

omega res novae

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2012-08-18 10:57:52 »
my startup speed isnt bad now i keep the ammount of stuff on my actual pc harddrive to a minimum and use my external for alot and defrag once or twice a week. in a month or 2 on my laptop im going to replace my cd drive with my current harddrive then use a 120 GB ssd as my boot drive. thatll speed things up.

http://www.newmodeus.com/shop/index.php?main_page=page&id=7

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2012-08-20 13:26:26 »
Windows 8 should be an amazing version of Windows under the hood, But that doesn't fix the fact their interface is designed with tablets and touchscreens in mind, Not Desktops.

With the RTM out i'll see if i can't get a hold of it through my work and putter with it more.

omega res novae

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2012-08-20 13:34:39 »
i think the consumer preview is out now

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2012-08-20 14:24:50 »
i think the consumer preview is out now

Not only that, but the release preview is out. Not only that, but the RTM version (release to manufacturing, aka finished) is out for certain people, as well as has been leaked. Consumer preview was released back in March, and is old news.

omega res novae

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2012-08-20 14:30:23 »
so consumer preview is outdated? have big changes been made to it recently? i heard metro is no longer metro but some other name idk what. maybe its time for me to boot it up in a vm again

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2012-08-20 14:36:07 »
Since the consumer preview, they have fixed bugs, added a bunch of stuff to the store, renamed Metro to "Modern UI", pretty much killed transparency in the UI, improved speed (and consumer preview was already fast), as well as countless other minor tweaks that I either haven't noticed or don't remember. It's still the same Windows 8 at its core, but more complete.

omega res novae

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2012-08-20 15:07:50 »
thats good. when i tried it before i gave it 1gb ram in vmware and it ran ok. idk min specs but its probably 2gb. compared to 7 how would you rate the UI, speed and boot up times?

people are holding on to computers. a desktop with 1.7ghz and 512mb ram doesnt cut it with these new windows releases. as theyre dropping support for winxp i think its going to lead to an increase in linux use. puppy linux and xubuntu run great on my crappy desktop. i think its important for microsoft to release an OS that uses minimal resources to keep that market alive as well as stay competitive

surprisingly i liked the new ubuntu12.04 precise pangolin. it was a bigstep as far as compatibility with my laptop i had to do 0 work to get stuff going. before i had to google alot to get my scrolling to work with my touchpad and also to change the brightness of my screen. i think it still needs some work with its unity desktop environment so ill probably stick with kubuntu whenever i feel the need to mess with it. i stick with linux mint and tails

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2012-08-20 17:31:36 »
By design, Windows requirements haven't increased a bit since Vista in 2007. What makes Win8 interesting IMO is that, while it has higher requirements than XP, it generally runs smoother if you have the specs to handle it (which really aren't all that high anymore). A midrange PC from 2007 can keep up pretty well on Windows 8.

I've never measured exact startup time, but with Windows 8 and a UEFI-capable motherboard, I've found that I can be playing Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, quit, restart my computer, and be playing again in a little under a minute. I never could've done that on Windows 7, and DEFINITELY not on Vista or XP. If that's not blazing fast, I don't know what is.

omega res novae

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2012-08-20 17:38:29 »
chromebook is fast supposed to boot in 8 seconds. lightweight os mixed with an ssd by standard. although i like the idea of the chromebook i hear it has some things to work out. i cant wait to build a computer of my own. i plan on getting one intels extreme series motherboards that can support 32gb ram or more, raid 0 on 2 ssd's, strong processor, and nvidia 4gb video card. ssds make anything fast