Author Topic: FFXI benchmark program  (Read 32486 times)

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
FFXI benchmark program
« Reply #25 on: 2002-11-03 16:50:27 »
I can testify that the only thing the V3 was good at was glide, which no one uses anymore. I have a V3 in naru here and even in Linux, the hacker's OS, it simply blows.  The people who made the DRI (Direct Rendering Interface) for Linux were able to hack in the ability render OpenGL in a window using off-screen rendering and filling in the blanks with software. I get 5 FPS running Doom Legacy.

The Voodoo3 is actully a Banchee, they changed the name in the devopment cycle as 3DFX was already going doun the poop chute. They took Brand Reconition over a good product.

Heck I can't even to 32 bit color in 1280x1024. I *So* need a new graphics card....

tekwiz99

• View Profile
do it right!
« Reply #26 on: 2002-11-03 17:07:20 »
why they can't follow the examples done in "Nature" scene of 3DMark 2001SE? My R8500 showed a quite playble framerate but NOT in FF XI bench.
bah! all the elements showed in FF XI is outdated,  :evil:
er, speaking of evil... it brings up for another upgrade strategy...uuah!

halkun

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
FFXI benchmark program
« Reply #27 on: 2002-11-03 17:11:14 »
They do, It's called "Evolution" and "Survival of the fittest"

I bet the Tyrannasaur was a really cool animal, but being cool doen't garentee you'l be around forever.

chowderhead

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocites.com/bigchowderhead
FFXI benchmark program
« Reply #28 on: 2002-11-03 17:39:52 »
Goku7:  Hey, I kinda know how you feel.  I held onto a viper2 card for waaaaay to long.  Hell, the thing couldn't display textures correctly to save it's own butt until driver release 9.51.13 (which was well after the card's release).  It was okay for it's time (note I said okay, not great) but quickly became outdated.  S3 drivers have always been crap.  It would be wonderful for companies to continue to write/develop/release drivers for cards that have passed their prime, but it's just not profitable.  We all know what drives companies.  It'd be nice to see continued development for our favorite 3d chipsets, but it's just not going to happen.  I *finally* upgraded to a GF2ti, which was the best thing I could've done.  I can enjoy games at decent framerates and have them display correctly.  And get driver updates.  

Halkun:  Have you tried running the demo with wine/winex?  I've had very little luck with wine or that transgaming crap, although my mandrake box isn't exactly what you'd call ready for prime time with gaming.

Lord Kane

• View Profile
    • http://lordkane.co.uk
FFXI benchmark program
« Reply #29 on: 2002-11-03 17:54:44 »
The Voodoo 3 was a nice card. Yes it's damned fast in glide, but it is missing features that are needed in todays' games. I think the real reason nVidia hold back the code is so that people buy new cards, so that the industry can move forward, rather than being rooted in it's past.
Don't get me wrong, 3DFX was a great company, I still have a Voodoo 5 sitting in my machine. Was is the operative word here though.

halkun

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
FFXI benchmark program
« Reply #30 on: 2002-11-03 19:53:01 »
Wine....

I used to help develop for wine and and the system is not as mature as you think.

First, My openGL does not allow the use of threads. So the DirectX layer will not work on my box.

Second, there are many kernel fuctions that are missing in wine. Wine will never ever be able to use Kernel32.dll and gdi.dll even though it has a DLL loader. They run in ring0 and the linux kenel will never allow that. These systems are only partially implemented.

Funny story:
I  once tried to get bleem to run under linux. It would smash as soon as I tried to start it. After a little research, I found out how bleem worked. To run as fast as it does, It kicks out the Windows9x kernel and replaces it with itself. In ring 0 it can do whatever it wants. When bleem tried to do that with the Linux kernel, not only did the linux kernel shut down the Bleem process, but also killed the winesever for being such an idiot for allowing that kind of operation to even be reconized.

Sephiroth 3D

• View Profile
    • ModCitizen 42
FFXI benchmark program
« Reply #31 on: 2002-11-03 20:01:07 »
Goku: Quite frankly, I think they aren't supporting it because 3DFX is a dead technology. Yeah, people still use it, but in all realities, it's a dead technology, and I think Square simply doesn't want to spend time supporting a dead technology.

BTW: My GF2 sucks, but I got a decent score. 2603 first run, 23xx second run.

Time to get a new Vid Card...

Jedimark

• View Profile
FFXI benchmark program
« Reply #32 on: 2002-11-03 20:12:14 »
I got 3892..... I quite enjoyed that little fly around the scenery... was light relief from a day of maths :weep:

chowderhead

• View Profile
FFXI benchmark program
« Reply #33 on: 2002-11-03 23:50:46 »
Hal:  No misconceptions about the limitations of wine here.  That's why there's a windoze box in the other room.  I've played with it enought to know it's not worth messing around with (not yet, anyway).  I'm not really a heavy gamer, so it's not like it's a big hassle.  I use vmware at work, so I can run our billing software when I have to.  It's really a shame there aren't more games/ports developed for linux, though.

Goku7

• View Profile
FFXI benchmark program
« Reply #34 on: 2002-11-04 02:19:02 »
Quote from: ficedula

Unless, of course, the games actually NEED

-32-bit colour
-Textures larger than 256x256 (technically known as 'postage stamp' size in the industry...
-More than 2 texturing units
-More than 2 projection matrices (this is *really* silly, it costs nothing in terms of memory to support more matrices, the card just wasn't built to do it; even old Rage cards had 10 matrices...)
-Texture combining (needed to really make USE of more than one texture)

in which case the hardware CAN'T physically handle the games.

I should mention that I haven't picked out any features there which are 'new' and have only been around for a few years. My old Savage 4 - which, I might add, was around at the same time as the V3; had nearly the same performance; and cost far less - does most of those and *more*, such as texture compression. And yes, it was also compatible with old games such as FF7. So the V3 really isn't a good card in any sense of the word...

Ok, yes, those are all very valid points.  However, 3Dfx tech isn't exactly dead.  IIRC, nVidia is incorporating some stuff from the original 3Dfx Rampage design, so not ALL of their stuff is bad.

The main cause of their downfall was the change of management that happened somewhere after the Voodoo2 was released, and unfortunately the new management wasn't to smart when it came to financial matters.  The tech people were definitely top notch, if not ambitious, for if you remember, Rampage (which was supposed to have hardware capabilities similar to the GF3), was originally scheduled to be the next released card after the Voodoo2.

Also, yes, you are correct in that compared to hardware standards of today, the V3 is not exactly the best of cards.  Personally, the only reasons (other than a lack of money) that I'm staying with the V3 is that currently the performance it's giving (framerate-wise) is still enough to where I can enjoy the games I play, and because I'm having a little contest with how long the card can last (speed-wise) in the games that come out (in order to really get a fair "trial", you'd have to assume that it does have drivers that support for DX8.1, and I'm still hearing reports on the X-3Dfx.com forums that the 3DHQ team is still working on it), and because I haven't found a Voodoo5 to use (Ok, so driver-wise I'd still be in the same boat, but I would at least have support for some stuff, like texture size and 32bit color), if only to see its reputed FSAA quality in action.

Yes, I know I'm stubborn, and may even be acting like an idiot by not upgrading, but if (and when) I do decide to get a newer card that's actually made by a still-existing company, I'd probably go for ATi, if only because they're not nVidia. :P

Oh, and besides, if I didn't keep carrying the 3Dfx fanboy torch around here, there'd be nobody to argue with about things like this! :roll:

halkun

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
FFXI benchmark program
« Reply #35 on: 2002-11-04 03:12:56 »
On a slightly related note.

I was thinking of buying an ATI card, but I have decided to boycott the company because of poor business pratices. (Actully, I boycott other companies too. The other two are Disney and Microsoft)

ATI is on my sh*tlist cause they have a baltent disreguard for non-disclosure agreements.

A few days ago a leaked alpha of Doom3 was released. ATI was the ones who leaked it, but it doen't stop there...
Afew weeks ago ID software revieved a development laptop from ATI where they forgot to erase an alpha of the next unreal that's coming out. The guys at ID erased the disk, but that's not something you should be giving away. Espically to rival software houses

As a programmer, this is a very nasty thing to do. It's Nvidia for me.

Goku7

• View Profile
FFXI benchmark program
« Reply #36 on: 2002-11-04 04:00:54 »
Well, what can I say?  They're Canadian.  Go figure. :P

tekwiz99

• View Profile
FFXI benchmark program
« Reply #37 on: 2002-11-04 04:43:20 »
heh, i've got 803 with the bench  :love:

Jedimark

• View Profile
FFXI benchmark program
« Reply #38 on: 2002-11-04 08:11:51 »
Why is disney on your boycott list then?

dgp9999

• View Profile
    • http://molexroots.com
FFXI benchmark program
« Reply #39 on: 2002-11-04 08:22:40 »
Well, at 11mb I can't be arsed to download it unless I'm willing to stay online for more than an hour. What can I expect from my system:
Athlon XP 1700+
512mb DRR
GeForce 2 Pro @ 250mhz core & 490mhz 64mb DDR

Suddenly I realise how many people have better computers than me and think to myself "Oh shit, I need more money."

EDIT: ::Prays to the 3dfx Interactive gods:: Please, just one more...

halkun

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
FFXI benchmark program
« Reply #40 on: 2002-11-04 12:17:31 »
Disney is on my list for the floowing reasons.

1) They have paied off the U.S. Congress to create a copyright law that is unconstitutional, granting them a de facto unlimited copyright term, when in Article 8 of the constitution copyrights can only be held for a limited time. This has ben challanged in Eldred Vs Ashcroft. A supreme court ruling is due in march.

2) The have used thier power to stife growth of animation as a art from in the U.S.

3) As not to have compitition from Japan, they have bought the world wide distobution rights to Studio Ghibli (Been often called "the disney of Japan") with the promose of doing theatrical releases, only to sit on the works and not making a wide release. This one gets me the most.

For example. "Sen to Chiro no Kamukaushi" (Spirited Away)  broke all kinds of records in Japan and Hong Kong. Disney has the release rights for this work workd wide (execpt in asia) and here in the US, they released in only *26* movie theaters......  That's it.  Even though it has had *rave* reviews. They did the same thing to "Princess Monoke"

Even Japan has noticed that there is something shifty going on.

Miyazaki (The directer/producer of studio Ghimbli works) Is getting old and will probably be retireing soon. DIsney is waiting for this to happen so they can knock him out as a threat to thier animation monopoly.

Funny story:
When disney bought the rights to Ghibli, they decided to hold ANime Expo at the disneyland hotel. They didn't realize they woulh have peopl dressing up on half nude costumes ot that the dealer's room would be selling adult material.. They had secuity tell anyon selling "objectional martrial" to leave and kicked out some lajitimate vendors..

AX will not be an disnel land anymore...

chowderhead

• View Profile
FFXI benchmark program
« Reply #41 on: 2002-11-04 14:10:10 »
dgp9999:  I scored a 2375 with the following setup:

Athlon XP1800
512mb SDRAM
GF2ti  (200mhz)

Not exactly like yours, but with the DDR and faster card I expect you wouldn't do any worse.  BTW, that's on a Windoze 2000 box.

dgp9999

• View Profile
FFXI benchmark program
« Reply #42 on: 2002-11-04 18:35:02 »
I never thought I'd see the WinNT kernel performing better at games. <sigh> Goodbye Win9x, you lasted a long time. Still, my computer can't handle anything more than Creative WaveEditor and Cubase so I'm not trying to install any NT based OS, again. Whenever I open most MIDIs in Cubase VST/24 my system freezes, what is this?

Caddberry

• View Profile
    • http://animenfo.com/
FFXI benchmark program
« Reply #43 on: 2002-11-05 04:50:09 »
I am the other Voodoo 3 owner on this board.. probably only what 2 of us.. I dont plan on staying this way for long either.. oh btw.. it wont run on mine either.. black screen gets all confused.. i thought i heard some birds chirping.. could have been my video card imploding..  -_-  

I have hated being stuck without 32 bit color.. god when i get a new card.. i am gonna play all my damn games over in 32 bit color.. even if it makes no difference.. and emulation in 32 bit color..

I was a proud Voodoo 3 owner.. but now it is time to let it RIP.. i will probably wait until i get a new motherboard b 4 i decide on whether to go with ATI or Nvidia..

atzn

• View Profile
FFXI benchmark program
« Reply #44 on: 2002-11-05 09:57:34 »
Quote from: Caddberry

I have hated being stuck without 32 bit color.. god when i get a new card.. i am gonna play all my damn games over in 32 bit color.. even if it makes no difference.. and emulation in 32 bit color..

Believe me, once you start gaming in 32-bit colour you'd never want to see 16-bit colour again.

Locutus

• View Profile
FFXI benchmark program
« Reply #45 on: 2002-11-05 10:59:34 »
About ff11 Pc benchmark.
This benchmark is terrible. Graphics look like it is in 320x200 resolution.
The most shimering textures and aliased poligons i have ever seen.
I do not know if this benchmark is even using 3d hardware aceleration.
And this folder called "Rom" .Is this some kind of the piece of playstation 2 software emulated on Pc?. I think that this game was not programed for Pc from ground, but was ported in some way from Playstation 2.So maybe there are files similar to Ps2 version. I think that if this game would be programed specialy for Pc by native Pc experienced programers
it would run faster. Seeing ff7,8 for Pc and now this demo i think that Square has no Pc programing exerience.
I have not seen full ff11 for Pc so i may be wrong about that game. We shall see in time.

The SaiNt

• View Profile
FFXI benchmark program
« Reply #46 on: 2002-11-05 17:27:05 »
I scored 2315 on the test.
I'm using a 1.2Ghz Athlon XP(Underclocked due to m/b limit).
512MB's of SDRAM.
32MB Geforce 2 GTS

I think the benchmark score depends on the amount of free raw cpu cycles.
Therefore, I think the score is
raw cpu power - cpu power used by video card.

KojiroTakenashi

• View Profile
FFXI benchmark program
« Reply #47 on: 2002-11-05 17:50:19 »
You scored much higher than me, so that's got to be the case.
256 megs of SDRAM
731 Mhz Duron (Mobo doesn't offer good overclock...)
64 meg DDR Geforce 2 Pro with a custom hacked BIOS

...and I make about 1K. Sucks to be me. I think this is a mostly CPU-dependant thing, myself. It would make sense considering the blurryness

dgp9999

• View Profile
FFXI benchmark program
« Reply #48 on: 2002-11-05 18:46:38 »
Wow, another GeForce2 Pro user. That's a rarity. I've only seen one GeForce2 Pro in my life time.

atzn

• View Profile
FFXI benchmark program
« Reply #49 on: 2002-11-05 18:59:04 »
Quote from: dgp9999
Wow, another GeForce2 Pro user. That's a rarity. I've only seen one GeForce2 Pro in my life time.

I'm also using a GeForce2 Pro....  :P