Author Topic: FF7 menu-problem  (Read 14039 times)

KayDawg

• View Profile
FF7 menu-problem
« Reply #25 on: 2003-03-01 20:38:59 »
all right, w/lewpies everything works except the flickering thingie...it's like: the screen flickers and auto"Pans" itself to only see a small area at a time
w/the other one(petes), I got everything working, except to load a battle it takes ages...I can't wait like 1 minute for a battle to begin! :{

edit: ok never mind..I reinstalled the plugins and fixed it somehow..

thansk for all your help everybody :}
I think i'm 100% done now

Goku7

• View Profile
FF7 menu-problem
« Reply #26 on: 2003-03-02 01:17:05 »
Quote from: KayDawg
w/the other one(petes), I got everything working, except to load a battle it takes ages...I can't wait like 1 minute for a battle to begin! :{

Welcome to the world of relatively slow Framebuffer effects and how they are hard to do on PC hardware, due to the way the architecture itself is designed.

How it got fixed, is that it probably defaulted to a software-based option for framebuffer effects, which is faster to pull off than doing it via strictly hardware.

KayDawg

• View Profile
FF7 menu-problem
« Reply #27 on: 2003-03-02 02:48:33 »
Well, I'm using the 3dfx plugin, and it doesn't even do that swirly thing. It just blacks the screen and goes straight into the fight :}
No biggie, but it works nice. I'm sure if I had a half decent video card the swirls wouldn't be THAT slow :}

Goku7

• View Profile
FF7 menu-problem
« Reply #28 on: 2003-03-02 03:30:56 »
Well, I'm using the 3dfx plugin, and it doesn't even do that swirly thing. It just blacks the screen and goes straight into the fight :}
No biggie, but it works nice. I'm sure if I had a half decent video card the swirls wouldn't be THAT slow :}

Try this:  In the configuration screen for Lewpy's Plugin, go to the "Off-Screen Drawing" section, and set it to use "Extra+FBR".  Then, under the "Framebuffer Access" Section, select the "Write" option.

I can get a Voodoo3 to do the swirl stuff that's in FF9 to run at what appears to be 55-60fps, as long as the CD-ROM drive doesn't need to spin back up (since that's introducing lag caused by the drive, because the emu is designed to wait until the drive is back up to speed, so it halts).  But, other than waiting on the drive, it's practically smooth as silk, the swirly-screen.

Now, I haven't tested how well FF7 would work with those settings, but they were implemented for FF swirly-screen emulation in mind, so they are worth trying.

Oh, and one more important thing: Leave Frame Skipping OFF for this!  Frame skipping seems to conflict in functionality with what these settings do.  Believe me, the Framebuffer effects will run faster/smoother with frame skipping OFF.

Lord Kane

• View Profile
    • http://lordkane.co.uk
FF7 menu-problem
« Reply #29 on: 2003-03-02 07:57:53 »
>By "juttery", I assume you mean their movement. In which case, this is because the PSX works with fixed-point math, meaning any vertex must conform to an application-defined "grid", so to speak -- hence juttering. It is not directly related to the rendering capabilities of the PSX, rather its processing capabilities.

Yeah, that's what I was meaning by the lack of Sub-pixel accuracy. I refer to it like that, as that's how Lewpy explained it to me.

>Well, I'm using the 3dfx plugin, and it doesn't even do that swirly thing. It just blacks the screen and goes straight into the fight :}

I have still to find a way to get the swirlies properly working in Lewpy's plugin. Unfortunately the FF7 wirlies are a bit of an arse.
For setting up the OpenGL/D3D plugin, take a look here http://www.ngemu.com/kane/emulation/configs/ff7.htm

Goku7

• View Profile
FF7 menu-problem
« Reply #30 on: 2003-03-02 22:09:14 »
Quote from: Lord Kane
>I have still to find a way to get the swirlies properly working in Lewpy's plugin. Unfortunately the FF7 wirlies are a bit of an arse.
For setting up the OpenGL/D3D plugin, take a look here http://www.ngemu.com/kane/emulation/configs/ff7.htm

Hmm....I thought lewpy managed to get the swirlies to show up on field screens, though?  And what's up with what I hear about only 70% of the world map has the swirlie effect?

.....oh, man...."swirlie effect"......I just realized how it could be misinterpreted....:rolleyes:

Lord Kane

• View Profile
    • http://lordkane.co.uk
FF7 menu-problem
« Reply #31 on: 2003-03-03 00:26:22 »
I dunno. I sat there tweaking for hours in the Mako reactor to try and et something. Never bothered trying on the world map.

Rubicant

• View Profile
FF7 menu-problem
« Reply #32 on: 2003-03-03 01:44:09 »
For the best-working video that has nearly no messiness but looks a little crappy, use P.E.Op.S. Soft Driver. You'll definately get the swirls with that, but the overall quality of the game will be a little poor looking. I think they've done a fine job with that graphics plug-in, but I only use it when I video-out to the tv with my video card. However, if you want models that look all nice at the sacrifice of speed on framebuffer effects, go ahead and waste tons of time getting the "just right" setting with the other plug-ins.

KayDawg

• View Profile
FF7 menu-problem
« Reply #33 on: 2003-03-03 19:02:53 »
the swirls aren't even a big deal though..nothign worth sweating over.

Goku7

• View Profile
FF7 menu-problem
« Reply #34 on: 2003-03-03 22:41:18 »
the swirls aren't even a big deal though..nothign worth sweating over.

By the way, when the swirlie effects are being "blacked out", its because the plugin is intentionally doing it, because of the settings in the config.

KayDawg

• View Profile
FF7 menu-problem
« Reply #35 on: 2003-03-05 19:13:53 »
ah...I figured as much..wasn't sure about it though.