Author Topic: FF7 crashing  (Read 2496 times)

baps

FF7 crashing
« on: 2004-03-04 22:27:55 »
Hi all.

I've just bought FF7 for the PC, used to love it on the PS1. Have had a few problems just getting it started :|

Installing the 1.02 patch and upside down video patch worked out all the bugs up until now. The game is continually crashing for me. Usually just as I begin the very first fight scene, before I get to hit either of the guards. I have managed to kill both these guys once, but when the fight was over.... crash before I got to go back to the platform. This is as far as I've ever got it to go...  :(
When it crashes all it does it go to a black screen, then if I press a key it throws me back to windows.

My system spec is as follows:

2800+ Barton
Nvidia Nforce2 rev2.0 (NF7S)
512Mb DDR ram
GeForce 4 4200Ti
120Gb Maxtor +9 drive
Lite-on Combo drive

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

baps.

baps

FF7 crashing
« Reply #1 on: 2004-03-07 11:30:50 »
Is there a general patch for crashing during battles?
I've seen it mentioned in the forum but haven't found a link to the patch.
Can anyone help?

Update: Tried the RivaTuner, get the grid thing I've read about in here but it has no effect on the crashing. All I get is the game hanging then crashing back to desktop when I press a button. I know other people have had the same problem but I've tried the solutions they tried with no luck. Starting to get annoying this...  :(

Also tried the ACT approach, the chocobo patch from that page wont install. Made no difference to the crashing...

Threesixty

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/threesixtyci/
FF7 crashing
« Reply #2 on: 2004-03-08 05:46:34 »
The chocobo patch only fixes the chocobo race....nothing else and only for WinXP, Win98SE doesn't have problems with that crash...and I believe it only works on an untampered FF7.exe file.....such as the one that comes with the game or the TNT version.

First
I suggest a clean reinstalling of the game.....
Then grab the FF7config.exe from the TNT patch.
Try playing in software mode first....if it works, then tackle Hardware mode.

For hardware mode you just need to select it in the pulldown menu, and don't check any boxes.....and don't use the FF7.exe from the TNTpatch, only the FF7config.exe.

The only time you would need to use the FF7.exe from the TNTpatch is when you use the Rivatuner method.....if you use that method and only when using that method, you use the FF7.exe from the TNTpatch. You also check the nvidia check boxes when using the Rivatuner method.

As for your crashes.....I'm not surpised. This game is near impossible running on today's machines. Try going to dxdiag, and put your sound accelertion to basic. Just type dxdiag in the run menu of windows and go to the sound tab, you'll see it. It's instant, you don't need to reboot for it to take effect. You also want to put your computer into Win98 mode.....I think you do it through your shortcut, but not sure....I'm still using Win98SE.

xeriouxi

• View Profile
Erm...
« Reply #3 on: 2004-03-08 10:35:15 »
Hi!

Your PC specs look fine... I think that the nVidia nForce2 is your problem. I have heard countless problems with people using this and they have immense troubles playing many games. If you try searching for an update to it then that might get rid of your problem.  :D

xeriouxi.