Author Topic: The Great FF7 FAQ (now outdated)  (Read 367051 times)

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
The Great FF7 FAQ (now outdated)
« on: 2004-01-18 04:27:41 »
I feel like we're seeing a lot of the same "FF7 Doesn't Work" questions over and over, so I decided it might be nice to have a big FAQ with lots of the common questions/answers.

--------

First point: You shouldn't install the AnimeVamp "FF7 XP Patch" / "1.04 Patch" - here's why.  The newest patch you should be using is the 1.02 patch from Eidos.

1.02 Patch: English | French | German | Spanish

--------

This has been a bit of a problem lately.  For those of you who actually read this, pay attention:
We only support official copies of the game.
If you have the Ultima Edition (which is not an official version of the game), or some other downloaded/cracked/pirated copy, please don't ask for help with it.
It doesn't matter if you have a broken/misplaced copy of the "real thing..."  Keep back-ups of your discs or try to get a replacement from Eidos (it has been done).

If you are having problems with the game crashing or locking up and are using FF7Music, the high-res patch, the Reunion patch, the multipatch, or any other non-official patches/enhancements, please try running the game without them before posting.  Some of these are not quite bug-free.

One last note.  Don't IM or PM me for support just because I wrote this FAQ.  I don't have a great deal of free time and your message may lay unanswered.  If you post, everyone will be able to see it and there are plenty of smart people here who may be able to help you.

--------

Problem: My game crashes when I try to race my Chocobos, and I'm using Windows 2000/XP/Vista.

Solution: Download and apply the FF7 Chocobo Patch.

--------

Problem: Help! The game only lets me select Software Rendering, and it fails the 8-bit Paletted Textures!

Solution: Download the FF7 1.02 patch here (or do you need the French version, German version, or Spanish version?). Open FF7Config, go to the Graphics tab, check the NVIDIA box and move it to TNT mode. You should now be able to select Direct3D Hardware Accelleration, and play the game.

Alternatively, some nVidia cards "pass" 8-Bit Paletted Textures with newer drivers, which allows you to play the game without checking the NVIDIA box. However, your in-game text may be messed up. To fix this, you need to disable 8-bit Paletted Textures, or get FF7 running with FSAA (both addressed below).

--------

Problem: I'm having trouble getting the game to run in Direct3D mode, or I see grid-lines on the backgrounds, and I'm using a Radeon card.

Solution: Try upgrading to the latest Catalyst driver, downloading the 1.02 Patch (French / German / Spanish), and checking the nVidia/TNT option in FF7Config.

--------

Problem: My movies play upside-down, or my movies don't play at all.

Solution: Download and install the upside-down movie patch here.  If you have ffdshow installed (it comes with some popular codec packs, including the K-Lite codec pack and the CCCP), you must disable ffdshow's "True Motion" support through the ffdshow Video Decoder Configuration.

(Side note: Some experimenting on using ffdshow to improve FF7 movie quality.)

--------

Problem: When I run FF7, it just hangs at a black screen.

Solution: A movie is supposed to be playing, see question above.

--------

Problem: How can I get my movies to play off the hard drive?

Solution: Playing the movies off the hard drive is faster, and also can help you track down a problem with the game crashing on a corrupt movie if your CD has a scratch or something.  Read EmperorSteele's document, here.

--------

Problem: How do I play the game without the CD altogether?

Solution: We don't support cracking the game, but you may have some success with a virtual CD-ROM tool like Daemon Tools.

--------

Problem: FF7 gives me some garbage about autoexec.nt when I try to install it.

Solution: Read this.

--------

Problem: I'm using Windows XP and a SoundBlaster Live!/Audigy, and the soundfonts don't work!

Solution: You must manually load the soundfonts in AudioHQ, and select SoundFont MIDI in FF7Config (without hitting the "Test" button). You should now be able to run the game and hear the SoundFont MIDI.  Note that you must have a card that supports loading soundfonts to use them, it will not work on just any sound card.

--------

Problem: The bike minigame is way too fast!

Solution: That's the way it is, sorry.  You can try underclocking your processor, or using some third-party app to make your computer slower.  It should be possible to beat the bike mini-game with enough health left to beat the boss, though (at least I did it on my 2 GHz computer).

There is a new experimental fix available.  More info here.

--------

Problem: I'm using an nVidia graphics card, and the text in my game appears slightly garbled, as in this picture.

Solution: You can (1.) use the 1.02 Patch (French / German / Spanish) with NVIDIA mode on and disable 8-bit Paletted Textures, or (2.) turn on FSAA. To learn how to enable FSAA in FF7 without corrupting the backgrounds, read the next question.

FF7 will crash if you are using an nVidia graphics card, the 1.02 patch with NVIDIA mode on, and drivers that support 8-bit Paletted Textures. To fix this, download and install RivaTuner. Open the program, click the little Triangle button in the "Driver Settings" section, and then select "DirectDraw and Direct3D Settings." Go to the Textures tab and uncheck "Enable 8-bit Palettized Textures." After restarting your computer, you should be able to run FF7 with the 1.02 patch installed and NVIDIA/TNT mode enabled, and have regular-looking text. You may need to turn 8-bit palettized textures back on if you see graphics corruption in other games.

Thanks to The Skillster for this information.

--------

Problem: How do I get FSAA to work without making gridlines in the backgrounds?

Solution: There is no known way to do this with ATI graphics cards, at present. If you use an nVidia graphics card that supports FSAA, read on...

Download RivaTuner here. After installing it, go to the folder where it is installed and open the RivaTuner.cfg file with Notepad. At the very bottom, there should be a [ForceWareFSAAModes] section.  Delete that entire section and replace it with this one:

Code: [Select]
[ForceWareFSAAModes]
FSAAMode01=2 x 1
Required01=170h,18Fh,200h,
FSAAMode02=1 x 2
Required02=170h,18Fh,200h,
FSAAMode05=2 x 2
FSAAMode06=ff06
FSAAMode0C=ff0c
FSAAMode0D=ff0d
FSAAMode0E=2x
FSAAMode0F=Quincunx
Required0F=170h,18Fh,200h,
FSAAMode10=4x
FSAAMode12=4x 9-tap
Required12=170h,18Fh,200h,
FSAAMode13=4xS
Required13=170h,18Fh,200h,
FSAAMode17=6x
Required17=200h,
FSAAMode19=8x
Required19=200h,
FSAAMode1A=16x
Required1A=308h,30Fh,338h,33Fh
Now, run RivaTuner. Click the little Triangle button in the "Driver Settings" section, and then select "DirectDraw and Direct3D Settings." Go to the Antialiasing tab, and where it says "Antialiasing method," choose 2 x 2. Now, when you run FF7, it should run with FSAA and no graphics corruption.

Note that for GeForce 3/4 cards, the new "Forceware" drivers seem to work great, while for GeForce FX cards, you may get some graphical glitches unless you use some older drivers (i.e., 45.32).

Thanks to halohalo for this information.

--------

That being said, if you are going to ask a question, please post with it your system specs, FF7 install type (standard or maximum), any patches you are using, and keep in mind that we do not support pirated/cracked copies of FF7 on these forums.

--------

If you people have more Q/A's that could go in here, or want to elaborate on / reword / correct something I have already said, post it and I will incorporate it into the original post.
« Last Edit: 2010-06-07 22:21:38 by obesebear »

halohalo

• View Profile
The Great FF7 FAQ (read before posting for FF7 support!)
« Reply #1 on: 2004-01-18 05:50:15 »
The correct codes should be:
Code: [Select]
[ForceWareFSAAModes]
FSAAMode01=2 x 1
Required01=170h,18Fh,200h,
FSAAMode02=1 x 2
Required02=170h,18Fh,200h,
FSAAMode05=2 x 2
FSAAMode06=ff06
FSAAMode0C=ff0c
FSAAMode0D=ff0d
FSAAMode0E=2x
FSAAMode0F=Quincunx
Required0F=170h,18Fh,200h,
FSAAMode10=4x
FSAAMode12=4x 9-tap
Required12=170h,18Fh,200h,
FSAAMode13=4xS
Required13=170h,18Fh,200h,
FSAAMode17=6x
Required17=200h,
FSAAMode19=8x
Required19=200h,
FSAAMode1A=16x
Required1A=308h,30Fh,338h,33Fh

I removed unnecessary codes, so gf4mx users can set 2x2 AA with ForceWare installed. (with detonator, gf4mx users should use 4x AA)  

I also added some codes (mode 06, 0c, 0d).  

For gf3/gf4ti/gf4mx users, the codes will be useful (especially for gf4mx users). ForceWare 5x.xx has fixed some graphical glitches for gf3/gf4ti.

For fx series users (I've tested fx5600/fx5900xt), old detonator has better compatibility (forceware 5x.xx is a disaster for fx series users playing ff7pc). And fx5900xt users can use detonator 45.32.

However, gf2mx users don't need to change the codes.

The Skillster

• Loving every Final Fantasy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2004-01-18 18:23:16 »
thanks aaron for posting this faq
btw gfmx2 works a treat on ff7, u can have AA and anistropic filtering,

mikey84

« Reply #3 on: 2004-04-22 22:47:08 »
Hi, i tried the riva tuner fix you say and i can't seem to get it to work. I still get jaggies on the screen and crooked text with d3d. It's almost like theres no AA on at all. Im using an FX5200 and 53.04 drivers. I know you say to go back to 40xx but if the font is fixed i know its working. I really want to play this game with AA on because it's just so much better. I check the original post you made with people that had success with the font fixed and everything and im wondering what im doing wrong.

Thanks for any help.

Aaron

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2004-04-22 22:50:24 »
Did you have 8-bit Paletted Textures ENABLED in Rivatuner and the nVidia box UNCHECKED in FF7config?  (Disabling 8-bit Paletted Textures and checking the Nvidia box fixes the font, but it is not necessary to do these, because FSAA also fixes the font.)  That should be it (as well as selecting 2x2 FSAA in RivaTuner).  However, there will be some graphic garbage on the backgrounds with FX cards using detonators (forceware) newer than 50.xx.

I'm sure Halohalo can tell you more.

mikey84

« Reply #5 on: 2004-04-22 23:01:49 »
yeah 8 bit was already enabled in riva tuner and nvidia was unchecked. I see no difference in any AA option i choose so that's why i know it's not working.

mikey84

« Reply #6 on: 2004-04-24 02:54:13 »
bump  :o

holy crap i think it finally worked  :D

Jedimark

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2004-04-24 08:12:14 »
Quote from: mikey84
bump  :o

You don't need to "bump" a sticky topic :p

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2004-04-25 05:10:55 »
I think we need a new question in the FAQ: "FF7 crashes durring -cutsene-"

We've seen quite a few of these lately, all of which are related to FF7 being a whore when it comes to proporly reading FMVs off the CD drive.

Though having a definate answer might be a good idea, as i'm not 100% sure if plopping the movies on one's HD and having a full install complelty resolves this. *shrugs*

Sarge

« Reply #9 on: 2004-04-28 07:37:57 »
Well, thanks to you guys, I've FINALY been able to get my copy of FF VII working on my Celeron 1.20 GHz/ Celestica Radeon 9200SE/ WinXP Pro sp1/DX9.0b system.
I previously had the "XP patch" installed, following the advice of another site (which shall remain nameless). Worked fine, but in 3D hardware mode, the backgrounds disapeared. Kinda importand to have those backgrounds visable, otherwise you can't see where the heck you are in the game.
So, I read your site, tried the "Official" NVIDIA 1.02 patch, and wha-la: It works now. Only thing is, the backrounds have this annoying grid (which you say can't be gotten rid of on Radeon cards) and the menus have a "Ghosting" effect. Which is only kinda annoying.

All in all, I think I was better off in software mode.
Is there any way to run the game in Glide mode on a Radeon card, perhaps using a Glide Wrapper? All the ones I've see only work for those stupid N64 emulators and not for actual PC games.

I suppose I should letter-bomb EDIOS for making such crappy 3D card support for this game, but I'm too lazy, and I'm low on blasting powder anyways. Although, just on principle, EDIOS should be blown up on a regular basis for making Daikatana. That one was a real stinker.

Here's to blowing things up.

Aaron

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2004-04-28 12:05:56 »
You should be able to get rid of the grid by upgrading to the newest drivers and making sure FSAA and Anisotropic Filtering are off in the driver settings.  What you can't do on a Radeon is play with FSAA turned on, without causing the grid to appear.

Sorry if the FAQ makes this unclear, maybe I'll change it.

Sarge

« Reply #11 on: 2004-04-28 16:23:17 »
Uh.. ok.
What's FSAA??

In the D3D cutom settings for the Radeon card, I don't see a way to turn off Anisotropic Filtering. I can turn it down to 2X, but not off.

There's also "Smoothvision" Which has settings from 2x to 6x, Texture Preference, Mipmap Detail Level, Wait For Vertical Sync, and "Truform". I can turn the last two off, but the rest all just have sliders that go to "High Perfomance" but never "off".

Oh, by the way, I just fired off a "Support request" to ATI, but I'm sure they'll just come back with the old "It's not a bug, it's a feature" response and basicly tell me they never thought anyone would want to turn off Anisotropic filtering, so it's not an option for anyone.

xeriouxi

• View Profile
FSAA...
« Reply #12 on: 2004-04-29 09:23:06 »
Hi!

FSAA stands for 'Full Scene Anti-Aliasing' for your game.  :wink:

As for your other questions... I'm an nVidia user and so can't help you out on that... but patience is a virtue and there are many members who have ATi cards.  :wink:

xeriouxi.

Darkdevil

• View Profile
    • Http://darkdevil177.5u.com
« Reply #13 on: 2004-04-29 14:35:46 »
Quote from: Sarge
Uh.. ok.
What's FSAA??

In the D3D cutom settings for the Radeon card, I don't see a way to turn off Anisotropic Filtering. I can turn it down to 2X, but not off.

There's also "Smoothvision" Which has settings from 2x to 6x, Texture Preference, Mipmap Detail Level, Wait For Vertical Sync, and "Truform". I can turn the last two off, but the rest all just have sliders that go to "High Perfomance" but never "off".

Oh, by the way, I just fired off a "Support request" to ATI, but I'm sure they'll just come back with the old "It's not a bug, it's a feature" response and basicly tell me they never thought anyone would want to turn off Anisotropic filtering, so it's not an option for anyone.

Yeah I have your same problem...Im using Omega drivers however....it seems the one cannot actually turn AA of ASF at all...so i can only play in software mode....im gonna have a lil looksee now and ill PM you if i find a way to get it goin

mikey84

« Reply #14 on: 2004-04-30 03:01:35 »
Try using riva tuner and turn it off in there, by using "none" for antialiasing. That should turn off both, or put them in application mode which is off anyways.

Sarge

« Reply #15 on: 2004-04-30 09:04:58 »
Quote from: mikey84
Try using riva tuner and turn it off in there, by using "none" for antialiasing. That should turn off both, or put them in application mode which is off anyways.

We're talking about Radeon cards here, not Riva. I doubt a Riva utility would even install on a system that doesnt have a Riva.

Way to read the thread before you post.  :roll:

atzn

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2004-04-30 09:22:07 »
Sarge which version of Catalyst are you using? From your description it seems like an older version Catalyst. Try using a newer one (Avoid the ones like Cat 4.3, FF7 never works well with it). IIRC 4.1 should work fine, and disabling AA/AF is pretty much as easy as sliding the performance slider.

And if I recall properly it *is* possible to turn of AA/AF on the older drivers as well, but since I haven't use them for a long time I've forgotten how the ATi control panel actually looks like...

Sarge

« Reply #17 on: 2004-04-30 16:49:02 »
I'm using the latest version, v4.4.
What version would you recomend?

atzn

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2004-04-30 19:28:09 »
Try 4.2, IIRC D3D should work with it (Just be sure to enable nVidia and RIVA 128 under FF7config as well). If it doesn't, try something like 4.1.

And AA/AF can be disabled by checking the "Application preference" box...

Jedimark

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2004-04-30 23:08:57 »

Use the Omega Drivers....

Sarge

« Reply #20 on: 2004-05-01 00:08:06 »
Quote from: Jedimark

Use the Omega Drivers....

Ok, I'll give them a shot.

Sarge

« Reply #21 on: 2004-05-01 01:00:26 »
Well, the latest Omega drivers still give me the "Grid" efect. No way to turn off Anti-Aliasing under that.
I'll try the 4.1 drivers.

Sarge

« Reply #22 on: 2004-05-01 01:47:32 »
Well, under 4.1, the FF VII config won't let me use D3D.
I guess I'm going back to the official ATI drivers and playing FF VII in software mode.
The image quality isn't much worse, but the speed decrease is notisable, which is why I wanted to use hardware acceleration anyways. Oh well.

Aaron

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2004-05-01 02:58:15 »
Well, under 4.1, the FF VII config won't let me use D3D.

Did one of the things on the right fail?  If 8-bit Paletted Textures fails, remember that you have to use the 1.02 patch and turn on TNT mode to get Direct3D accelleration to work.

Sarge

« Reply #24 on: 2004-05-01 03:17:08 »
Yeah, I know that.
How did you think I was getting the Radeon card D3D enabled uner the 4.4 drivers?
It's not that the D3D mode doesn't WORK under the 4.4 drivers, it's that there's that annoying background grid in the the between-combat screens. (that is, when you're moving around, opening doors, in shops, etc.) The combat screens are great, they work perfectly. If it wasn't for the grid, I wouldn't mind.