Author Topic: FF7 PC Improved English dialogue - is anyone interested?  (Read 31963 times)

Silent Warrior

• View Profile
Re: FF7 PC Improved English dialogue - is anyone interested?
« Reply #25 on: 2009-01-22 05:29:03 »
Mass-rename? I don't know what that would do for me, but I've already got Loveless installed, actually. And I've been industriously de-engrishifying the whole thing for a few weeks now - working alphabetically, now down to s-something or other. And FF7 still works with the modified LGP... Of course, I haven't yet played to an area where I've made extensive updates, but that's a good start, at least.
Goals:
- It must make sense (Engrish to be removed)
- What I perceive as bloody silly must go (Buugen's 'Ho Ho Hooo's nearly eradicated, Hojo in Costa del Sol should be a tiny bit more mature)
- Points for style awarded if the item-names in the "Received item "x"!"-boxes match the kernel.bin-line-up

Current report from Loveless's Compare: "Different number of texts in each file." 8-) (I guess the parser has a fit over the couple of {NEW PAGE}es that I deleted.)

But, seriously, have anyone of you checked out just how much... well, massive quantity of art AND text, there is for Junon?? Beep me sideways, I tell you!
I also noticed that Loveless seems to have a memory-leak...

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #26 on: 2009-01-24 21:56:14 »
- Points for style awarded if the item-names in the "Received item "x"!"-boxes match the kernel.bin-line-up

Oddly enough, these names are hard-coded into the field's text. They aren't adaptive at all. If you replace the beginning potions with Ultima Materia it'll still say "received 'potion'". This game is NOT modder friendly. If you want to replace an item you'll have to alter the text that says what it is your party is getting. Personally, I'd prefer an earlier instance of the Shield materia.
Anyway, I'd like to help with this if I can. Since playing through making save games in Midgar I've noticed a lot of poorly-worded liners that makes me think that no one person read the entire script after it was translated.

Silent Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2009-01-30 19:32:46 »
Oh, beep me sideways... OK, so here I am, monkeying around with FF7Music (effin' MIDI...), first pass de-Engrishification complete, the game boots just fine with the new LGP, and then what? I make another attempt at getting FF7Music to work, and the new exe won't run! I am GRUMPY! Still, it is A touched-up dialog (and some 130 Mb instead of the original 120+-something). Not a 100% perfect v1.0 sort of thing - some text-windows need adjusting, but, meh... Some day I'll have time to take another crack at it - this time to nullify the superfluous texts (like having the entire Junon execution-up-til-Weapon-attack-episode in every Junon-file, the debug-thingies).

I have some manner of muley thingy - you should be able to find it there under the name of 'FF7PC Updated texts [SW].7z'. (Hey, open source!) 115 Mb or so. ed2k-link:
ed2k://|file|FF7PC.updated.texts.[SW].7z|121165063|A9AC714AA59EFEBE822D8F5569D639D6|/
Savvy young bucks like you lot should be able to make heads and tails of that.

Also, the internet-access-part is a funny li'l thing. I generally wake up early, but I think your only real chance to get the file from me that way is by being up somewhere between 5 and 9 AM GMT. Yup. It appears the speeds drop right around 8.30 regular, in fact.

If there are any other suggestions on where to upload this in a more accessible form, I'll go to work on those during the weekend. Possibly.

encinodude

« Reply #28 on: 2009-01-31 17:10:00 »
Excellent idea. I want to replay FF7 on the PC with all the great visual enhancement mods, but memories of the bad localization are keeping me at bay. However, I think the idea should seriously be extended to FF8 as well. It suffers from half-baked translation, too. I'm interested in polishing FF8's dialogue, but unfortunately I have no idea how to work Garden and there don't seem to be any other editors around that enable you to edit the game script.

Silent Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2009-01-31 17:33:18 »
Not only poor translation, I'd like to say... Garden... I tried to use it once, but I only got the source-code in the download - pretty useless when you don't have a compiler at hand. :-P It's usable now, then?

encinodude

« Reply #30 on: 2009-01-31 17:38:01 »
Only the source code has been released as far as I know. Don't know the first thing about how to compile it either. Maybe I could benefit from some research.

blackdeathmessenger

• A man can dream, but that's all it will ever be.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2009-03-21 02:28:15 »
anyone know what's going on with the patch on the improved language? it seems pretty dead to me

Trenholm

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2009-03-21 18:09:06 »
IT would be great if we could get a solid team working on this.  I'll lend a hand if something concrete ever gets going.

blackdeathmessenger

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2009-03-25 05:49:18 »
i would help anyway i could to help this whole thing move along,but i have no idea how to do so

Silent Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2009-03-29 12:28:07 »
All I did was to get Loveless and start working. It doesn't seem to be any greater secret than that. Of course, you'd probably love to have a dedicated tester to go along with the effort. There are A TON of things you'll want to test to make sure you worked with the correct area...
(Note that Loveless doesn't seem to compress the files as much as Square/Eidos...)

Well, methodic determination is key. There are many files, many conversations, an awful lot to touch up, plenty of opportunity for dubious continuity in textual polish.

blackdeathmessenger

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2009-06-18 16:16:33 »
Thanks, that was all i really needed to know.  :-D

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2009-06-18 17:00:07 »
I've stated this before and i'll state it again, I'll also lend a hand where I can. Proof-reading or testing or whatever.

blackdeathmessenger

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2009-06-19 06:04:40 »
That would be really cool. Thanks for offering. ^_^

There is one little thing though...I cant find a link for Loveless anywhere. Does anyone have a link for it?

Fleet Command

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2009-06-19 09:27:37 »
Now that everyone is expressing his or her own idea, I express mine too. No, I'm not interested in "FF7 PC Improved English dialogue".

When I played Final Fantasy for the first time (that is, a few month ago,) I had no problem whatsoever understanding the plot. I found no vagueness nor any ambiguity... or at least, that was my impression. Now that I occasionally visit FF7 communities, I'm begining to realize how different other people have interpreted the game's plot and more importantly how different the creators of the game intended the storyline to be. I'm starting to hate Final Fantasy VII's official plotline which I once thought as a work of genius per my own interpretation.

So, I want neither to be enlightened nor informed about the plot. I'd like remain in my ignorance and cling to my own blissful interpretation of the plot that I so much like. After all, when it comes to fiction and especially computer games, facts completely lose the importances that they have in the real life.

So, no, I'm not interested in "FF7 PC Improved English dialogue" because I love Final Fantasy VII.
« Last Edit: 2009-06-19 09:30:10 by FleetCommand »

blackdeathmessenger

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2009-06-19 16:29:50 »
Now that everyone is expressing his or her own idea, I express mine too. No, I'm not interested in "FF7 PC Improved English dialogue".

When I played Final Fantasy for the first time (that is, a few month ago,) I had no problem whatsoever understanding the plot. I found no vagueness nor any ambiguity... or at least, that was my impression. Now that I occasionally visit FF7 communities, I'm begining to realize how different other people have interpreted the game's plot and more importantly how different the creators of the game intended the storyline to be. I'm starting to hate Final Fantasy VII's official plotline which I once thought as a work of genius per my own interpretation.

So, I want neither to be enlightened nor informed about the plot. I'd like remain in my ignorance and cling to my own blissful interpretation of the plot that I so much like. After all, when it comes to fiction and especially computer games, facts completely lose the importances that they have in the real life.

So, no, I'm not interested in "FF7 PC Improved English dialogue" because I love Final Fantasy VII.

And you posted this, why? You could have easily just ignored everything that was said and just let everyone not know your unimportant opinion.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2009-06-19 18:07:07 »
I agree.  I had a  lot of this on my own translating thread.  At the end of the day like said 1000 times, if someone doesnt like the idea they just don't install the mod.

Fleet Command

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2009-06-20 07:41:27 »
And you posted this, why? You could have easily just ignored everything that was said and just let everyone not know your unimportant opinion.
With all due respect, please note that the thread title reads: "is anyone interested?" which means my opinion as a forum member is being inquired.

Now, let's act like civilized people and keep in mind that everyone's opinion is respectable for himself or herself and there is no problem expressing it, especially when it is explicitly inquired, (although as long as it is not expressed in an obscene, insolent, disrespectful or threatening manner.)
I agree.  I had a  lot of this on my own translating thread.  At the end of the day like said 1000 times, if someone doesnt like the idea they just don't install the mod.
Well, the solution is simple my friend: If you do not tolerate opposing opinions, do not ask for it in your own threads. (You needn't explicitly express you lack of interest in hearing opposing opinion; just do not ask for any.)
« Last Edit: 2009-06-20 07:42:58 by FleetCommand »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2009-06-20 13:27:16 »
Again you miss the point.  These threads are all for debating how to proceed and for people to help with the mod, they aren't for opposing views TO the actual mod.

And anyone interested implies people who are....not people who aren't.
« Last Edit: 2009-06-20 13:29:14 by Seifer Almasy »

The Seer of Shadows

• I used to be indecisive. But now, I'm not sure...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2009-06-20 14:27:21 »
An open condemnation of the project, stating that it threatens the FF7 that you love.  Now, you're trying to defend yourself, claiming that your opinion was called for.  No one ever asked for destructive criticism.  If you want for us to act like civilized people, your best bet would have been not to cause a disturbance here to start with.  I am sorry for being harsh, but that cynical side of me makes me think that you are looking for attention.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2009-06-20 19:50:58 »
With all due respect, please note that the thread title reads: "is anyone interested?" which means my opinion as a forum member is being inquired.
This is going to sound harsher than I intend it to, but have you ever been to school and the teacher says to the class "Now, who would like to write the answer to number 10 on the board?"  You wouldn't raise your hand to say you don't want to.  And you definitely wouldn't start condemning (number 10) it like it is somehow beneath you.

Though I'm sure he would more than welcome any constructive criticism to his project.

Also, I'm curious, is English your first language?

Fleet Command

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2009-06-21 06:57:19 »
@Shadowseer: Thanks for your comment, Shadowseer. Your comment is remarkable.
An open condemnation of the project, stating that it threatens the FF7 that you love. Now, you're trying to defend yourself, claiming that your opinion was called for.  No one ever asked for destructive criticism.
Is that so?

Times and again I have seen in this very same forum that people criticized Advent Children and Dirge of Cereberus in favor of Final Fantasy VII because they believed these two series as deteriorating FFVII. But I never have seen you around calling them "condemnations" and "destructive criticism". Now why should I not polietly express my opinion regarding an unofficial translation project whereas others are allowed to do so with official contents?

Furthermore, it was not only not a destructive criticism but also a constructive one: Leaving reader of an story in a bit of dark and letting him or her form his or her own conclusions about the unclear points has always been successful device of storywriters. Final Fantasy VII is surely an example of employing this device. How can you consider my advice of not expeling such a successful device a "destructive criticism"?

Please consider assuming good faith in your fellow forum members.

If you want for us to act like civilized people, your best bet would have been not to cause a disturbance here to start with.
Please forgive me my friend, but did I unwittingly break any of the forum's rules? I was under the impression that I was simply expressing an opinion, although one that is contrary to others. If I did, please let me know; I'll  apologize and will not commit it again.

I am sorry for being harsh, but that cynical side of me makes me think that you are looking for attention.
Your cynical side is but only slightly wrong. As a matter of fact what I seek is participating in discussions and having positive effects which is the goal of the forums. Your cynical side is not wrong but in respect to the fact that in a forum (especially one like this) gaining attention is not only good but also one of the ultimate goals. If it was not so, you people would have never posted detailed news about the progress of your mod. Neither your cynical side nor your logical one can deny that "Game Tweaking" subforum of this forum is full of topics and threads which serve no purpose but to attract the appreciation of the topic creator -- especially this thread. (Now don't let your cynical side make you believe that I'm trying to steal the attention which I do not deserve here, because I'm not.)

Fleet Command

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2009-06-21 07:05:59 »
This is going to sound harsher than I intend it to, but have you ever been to school and the teacher says to the class "Now, who would like to write the answer to number 10 on the board?"  You wouldn't raise your hand to say you don't want to.  And you definitely wouldn't start condemning (number 10) it like it is somehow beneath you.
Thanks for your considerable comment. Please pay attention to the fact that a school is much different than a forum: In school, your duty is to answer question Number 10 but in a forum, your duty is to contribute. I do differently in school and forum because I have different obligations towards them.

The Seer of Shadows

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2009-06-21 07:12:00 »
I'm under the impression that I may have offended you slightly.  I am sorry.  I wasn't in the best of moods when I posted that.

And I'm not going to challenge your views any further because this thread is going off topic (and a lot of threads have been doing that lately).

Fleet Command

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2009-06-21 07:28:02 »
Oh, never mind. Nothing is taken. :)

The Seer of Shadows

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2009-06-21 12:03:57 »
I cant find a link for Loveless anywhere. Does anyone have a link for it?
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=6013.0

Edit: Here's a good place to go to when you can't find things (it's where I got the Loveless link from):
http://wiki.qhimm.com/FF7/Technical/Customising
« Last Edit: 2009-06-21 12:05:31 by Shadowseer »