Author Topic: FF7 PC Improved English dialogue - is anyone interested?  (Read 31968 times)

blackdeathmessenger

• A man can dream, but that's all it will ever be.
    • View Profile
Re: FF7 PC Improved English dialogue - is anyone interested?
« Reply #50 on: 2009-06-23 19:07:18 »
Thanks Shadowseer ^_^

Chocobo

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 2009-06-24 10:20:39 »
I don't really care, but the plot is sometimes missing something.

Cloud sees Sephiroth... WE'RE GOING AFTER SEPHIROTH!!!11

As long as you fix the part where Aeris goes 'That guy are sick.'

The Seer of Shadows

• I used to be indecisive. But now, I'm not sure...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 2009-06-24 10:56:32 »
Yes, that is the most infamous line in the whole game.

Reason why Cloud goes after Seph on impulse is because he is being manipulated by Sephiroth through Jenova.  That is explained right before Cloud gives Sephiroth the Black Materia.

Fleet Command

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 2009-06-24 20:09:46 »
Actually, the game reveals plot details only when you want it; which means researching about it.

For example, if you are interested in knowing who is this "this-guy-are-sick" person, return to Midgar after the Meteor is summoned and inquire about him. (When I did, I was so surprised that I thought "Well of course! Why didn't I realize it before?")

As another example, this piece of text comes from Final Fantasy VII in Wikia, about the event of Sephiroth summoning the meteor:
The party escapes on Highwind. Tifa is knocked unconcious in the escape, Barret is caught as he tries to escape with the unconscious Tifa, and the both of them are taken to Junon. The rest of AVALANCHE are assumed to have escaped on their own, but how is not detailed.
Actually, this assertion is wrong. The escape IS well-explained in details, but only if you have Tifa inquire about it. There is a repair guy in the Highwind who's busy but is more than eager to tell Tifa the details.
« Last Edit: 2009-06-25 10:17:08 by FleetCommand »

The Seer of Shadows

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 2009-06-25 00:24:22 »
Wow.  You have been paying attention while playing the game.  On my next play through, I'll be sure to speak to every person on the field (because I normally don't bother).

Yeah, the game does miss out a few details, but that is in its own way the magic of it.  You have the option of either leaving things to your interpretation or just finding out what the plot developers had in mind.  I believe you already said that though...

Fleet Command

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 2009-06-25 08:59:53 »
^ Yeah, I did say that already. I didn't mean to repeat it but it just got conveyed with the examples.

Anyway, another point is that sometimes, there are plot details that are said implicitly if you have a specific party member in your active party but are said explicitly if you have another. For example, remember the first time when you realize that what they have been chasing all along was not the real Sephiroth? Well, it is implicit, unless you have Yuffie in your party, who exclaims "[Blah Blah] We have been following... *this*... all along? [Blah Blah]" (Or something similar.) Still, it is implied but no obscure. You see, there are a lot of people (one in Kalm, one in Costa Del Sol, one in path to North Corel, and Dio in Gold Saucer) who tell you that Sephiroth had a Number One tattooed on his hand.

Conclusion:There are three different aspects of the game plot for which people want (or do not want) this mod:
  • Mistranslations and bad grammar that ruins that conveyance of the plot details which are meant to be conveyed.
  • Plot details which are placed in the game but only for those who are inquisitive to inquire about them.
  • Plot details which are intentionally left obscure, perhaps to induce your imagination or perhaps for use in sequels.
But which of the three aspects it addresses? And how? I don't mind #1 to be addressed. I'm even ready to cooperate. But in case of #2 and #3, ... well you know.

The Seer of Shadows

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 2009-06-25 10:00:36 »
Ah yes, Yuffie.  Always helpful :-)  Her precise words are as follows:

"What!?  You mean that wasn't Sephiroth?  All that time I was following this… thing?"

That's actually not crystal clear.  But a more perceptive player might realize that "thing" = Jenova.  Sephiroth later mentions that imitating things is "the power of Jenova".

Concerning the first line of your post: I never meant to say that you had repeated yourself.  I just find it ironic that I ended up typing something that you had typed, which I moodily condemned a few posts back.  Next time I have a bad day, I'm turning off the computer :wink:

Fleet Command

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 2009-06-25 10:25:04 »
And, by the way, localized version (I mean English version) of Final Fantasy VII for PC are translated a bit differently than that of PS2. Even items, materia, limit breaks and menu items have slightly different names. (Fortunately, none of the are as popular as Aerith. ;))

But I'm curious: Does it contribute to any sort of ambiguity? Or does the general plot maintains uniformity on both platforms?

The Seer of Shadows

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 2009-06-25 10:38:41 »
I believe that it maintains uniformity on both platforms.  I could be wrong though.  Never played the PS1 version here (when I found out about the "Touph Ring" mistranslation, I thought it was horrendous).

Fleet Command

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 2009-06-25 10:57:10 »
Well it's not just "Tough Ring". We have "Ungarmax" ("Angermax"), "Lucretia" ("Lucrecia"), "Bizzaro*Sephiroth" ("Bizarro*Sephiroth"), etc. There are quite a number of others too but I just don't remember.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 2009-06-25 14:50:34 »
I'm also pretty sure Sephiroth has no tattoos on his hand and wears gloves at all times.  The guy with the number 1 on his hand would be the first attempted "cloning" of Sephiroth.

Fleet Command

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 2009-06-25 15:13:51 »
Yes, exactly.