Author Topic: Modding PSN FF7  (Read 9776 times)

Furzball

• Furzball happens...
    • View Profile
Modding PSN FF7
« on: 2009-06-28 16:50:09 »
Does it work just like the playstation or pc version?

squallff8

• View Profile
Re: Modding PSN FF7
« Reply #1 on: 2009-06-28 16:51:41 »
PSN version of game is the SAME as PSX verison so it CANNOT be MODED!!

JordieBo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009-06-28 17:49:39 »

Uhmm... The PSX version of Final Fantasy VII is moddable. Have you not seen the harder difficulty mod? Look on youtube for PSX FFVII Mods or something similar.
Anyway, back on the subject. I don't know how you would mod teh PSN version, I'm not exactly sure what it is. Is it just downloaded directly to your PS3 or PSP? Or is it on a disc?

secondadvent

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009-06-28 18:11:30 »
if it can be taken off of and put back on the ps3 without it becoming angry with you (PS3 "you wouldn't like me when i'm angry..." *HUGE ASPLOSIONZ!*), then it should be modable in the same way as the psx version, though knowing little of the format the psn file uses, it could have to have a checksum updated (if it uses one of course, and would be a simple way for them to prevent modding, but usually easy to overcome), or it could use some form of encryption that would need to be decrypted first. but if it is exactly like a psx iso, then it should be as easy as shake and... er... rip and inject.

but knowing sony, it is likely that it will not be a simple move to pc, mod, and reinsert procedure, there will likely be a catch to it, so it may be modable like the psx version, but you'd have security to sneak past first (oh noes! get teh cardboard box O_o). it may not even let you take it off the ps3 easily either, i never used psn on my ps3, so i wouldn't know what to expect.

ultima espio

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009-06-28 18:17:48 »

FF7Rules would like a word with you.

squallff8

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009-06-28 18:36:29 »

FF7Rules would like a word with you.

Hey people,I'm cheking news on this forum everyday, i know that ff7rules worked on "Hadrcore patch".It's really great patch.But thing that furzball mean is to make PRP or APZ Cloud patch for it!I'm SURE on 100%

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009-06-28 18:54:28 »
Well hardcore patches are mods as well, so hopefully you can see why you were so...emphatically...shot down :lol:

Anyway, is it exactly the same as the PSX version in every way? The reason (AFAIK) that high quality graphics mods couldn't be done for the PSX version was that it read specific locations on the disc, and they would be messed up when any files were made bigger. Would those issues be crossed over to the PSN version? I say this out of complete ignorance of how PSN games work... :-P

Whilst we're on this topic, has anyone tried reverse engineering PSN games at all?

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009-06-28 20:38:12 »
PSN Games are just the PSX games packaged into an EBOOT file that the PSX Emulator present on the PSP understands. Someone tried modding the kernel.bin2 from a PSP FF7 - it worked in an emulator (EPSXE) for PC, but when put back on to the PSP it didn't work. Its on the forum somewhere, I'm too lazy to look for a link ^_^

Sephiroth 1311

• View Profile
    • http://www.sadnescity.it
« Reply #8 on: 2009-06-28 20:47:29 »
PSN Games are just the PSX games packaged into an EBOOT file that the PSX Emulator present on the PSP understands. Someone tried modding the kernel.bin2 from a PSP FF7 - it worked in an emulator (EPSXE) for PC, but when put back on to the PSP it didn't work. Its on the forum somewhere, I'm too lazy to look for a link ^_^
I'm almost positive that happened because the author didn't know that each decompressed subfile of kernel.bin MUST be multiple of 4, otherwise it will hang the game on real hardware or when emulated on PSP.

So, if a kernel subfile is not multiple of 4, it just needs some padding and everything should be working fine.

Same happens for many PSX games (Xenogears and Vagrant Story, for instance, act in the same way), it's due to the way the PSX handles memory alignment.