Author Topic: LZS Compress/DECompress confusion. Topic started @ August 08, 2009.  (Read 5380 times)

gamefac

• View Profile
FFVII psx version modder
----

#1 Hey guys. I want to make my sephiroth (black cape, not shirtless) lzs file less in KB. Small as possible, but not so small that it might mess up the sephiroth graphic in battle. All im trying to say is.. how can i make it small enough so that I can hopefully bypass the size issue that has been going on with the psx version?

My attempt:

#2 Okay.. I really don't know what's going on there. why did the compress file size just got bigger??

#3 And finally.. Thank you Kudistos Megistos & NFITC1 for pointing out on where to download the LZS Compress/DECompress. Thank you NFITC1 for the LZS compress/DECompress.
« Last Edit: 2009-08-09 09:50:16 by gamefac »

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
when you compress something i believe it uses an algorithm to tell the computer how to compress\uncompress (at least it does with WinRAR) which if the file is already highly compressed, and can't be compressed anymore, it will actually grow (usually slightly) in file size.

Happened to me when i tried to compress an ISO i wasn't using much, it grew by 88kb

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
Compressing a compressed file never works. Especially with compression routines that try to eliminate repetition (which is what a lot of them do). When the repetition is eliminated and you try, again, to further eliminate repetition it tends to backfire.

Even so, You can't put a file in the game that has more than one level of LZS compression in it. That compression is designed to be streamed out. When the game tries to run it it will only stream out the compressed file, but not the original RAW decompressed file.

No, I'm not explaining it well at all. Bottom line is, you can't do what you're trying to do. The only way for that file to be smaller is to have the original file to be smaller or have more repetition in it.

gamefac

• View Profile
No, I'm not explaining it well at all. Bottom line is, you can't do what you're trying to do. The only way for that file to be smaller is to have the original file to be smaller or have more repetition in it.

If that's the case, then my dreams are now crushed. there is no future for a black cape sephiroth lzs less in KB .. Thank you NFITC1 4 the information.