Author Topic: Me and WinXP  (Read 3401 times)

PurpleSmurf

• View Profile
Me and WinXP
« on: 2002-01-31 22:34:00 »
If you look through the forums here you'll find winXP has been getting a bad rap. I JUST installed it an hour ago and so far i like. i normaly i have to install drivers for my video card and mother board( chipset drivers, and sound. yes my sound is integrated with my mother board) i was on the net in 5 minutes. winxp doesn't eat up system resources. it just has some animations that are kind of f***ed up. oh and i have the background that seph wanted too.... i'll put it on my site in a bit. anyway i'll post more here as i form more of an opinion

Sephiroth 3D

• View Profile
    • ModCitizen 42
Me and WinXP
« Reply #1 on: 2002-01-31 23:52:00 »
From what I hear, XP's main problem is capatibility. I've heard it's not AS compatible as Win2k, and stuff, but since I don't have a lot of XP experience, I won't comment much more. Qhimm seems to have a lot to say about it though...

And I've already been sent the backgound. Thanks anyway.

Sephiroth 3D

"I don't understand..." "You don't have to understand." - Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within

Sephiroth 3D.com
[email protected]

PurpleSmurf

• View Profile
Me and WinXP
« Reply #2 on: 2002-02-01 03:29:00 »
winxp is really a good OS for such little time between the release of win2k. i had to download 11 meg of updates and security patches. but it was worth it. now i just have to "official" install my video drivers my chipset drives and my audio drivers.

seph: ok

Sukaeto

• View Profile
    • Sukaeto's web server
Me and WinXP
« Reply #3 on: 2002-02-01 05:25:00 »
Heh heh.

As far as I've seen, WinXP Pro is as stable as Win2K.   Actually, it's pretty much the same thing (except for the graphics over haul.)  Everything that worked in Win2K works in WinXP (plus some things that didn't work in Win2K . . . namely FF7.  XP also had some built in TWAIN drivers for an HP Scanner I could never get working . . . but I'm thinking Win2K probably had them as well.  I was also surprised that doing a search in help on, say, "Creating Local Groups" actually came up with help on Creating Local Groups and not a list of Cheeses around the world, or some other totally off topic junk. )

So far, I find it worthy of being considered an upgrade from Win2K (even though it's not much better.), and all my buddies (most of whom also happen to be techs) who've used it seem to like it as well.

Caddberry

• View Profile
    • http://animenfo.com/
Me and WinXP
« Reply #4 on: 2002-02-08 05:29:00 »
I upgraded to XP Professional Corporate edition.. yeah there is a corporate edition.. i didnt beleive it either.. just has a few more tweaks than pro i guess..  it is running smooth.. hasnt crashed no blue screen.. in fact i got mad at it for not recognizing my ISA modem.. wound up buying a new modem downgraded to 98 and in a few seconds blue screen.. i upgraded to xp and havent had any problems.. i love it.. it works very well for me.. although i would recommend upgrading to it not a fresh install until they get all the driver kinks worked out...

dgp9999

• View Profile
    • http://molexroots.com
Me and WinXP
« Reply #5 on: 2002-02-09 19:33:00 »
I'm not going to list my problems with XP because my edition was strange. The only thing good I came across was that I didn't have to get a service pack for it! Other than that, XP looked very pretty.
-Dan