Author Topic: Do you read?  (Read 6459 times)

Jari

Do you read?
« on: 2007-01-01 09:11:45 »
Books, I mean. And to be specific; out of your free will and books other than textbooks for education.

If so, what do you read, and do you have any favorites?

While it seems that kids these days read less and less, I'm pretty sure that there are people here who either consider reading as a hobby of theirs, or at least read occasionally. Harry Potter, if nothing else (and this is not to diss Potters in any way, I enjoy them greatly). :)

ChaosControl

• ยค
    • View Profile
Re: Do you read?
« Reply #1 on: 2007-01-01 11:26:36 »
I don't read often nowadays but I used to read quite a few Stephen King books.

Alhexx

• View Profile
    • http://www.alhexx.com
« Reply #2 on: 2007-01-02 09:41:31 »
I do not read much - well, and it's a long time ago since I read a book.
I really enjoyed Ken Follet's books - although I just read Eye Of The Needle and Jackdaws. I also have The Third Twin lying around on my book shelf, but I never managed to start reading it.

I think my favorite book is George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four.

As for my time when I was in school: Bernhard Schlink's The Reader was a quite interesting book, too.

- Alhexx

- Edit -
Maybe I should also mention the most boring book I have ever read (in school, of course):
Bertolt Brecht's Mother Courage and Her Children...
« Last Edit: 2007-01-02 09:44:39 by Alhexx »

mirex

• View Profile
    • http://mirex.mypage.sk
« Reply #3 on: 2007-01-02 13:16:19 »
I was reading when I was teenager, now, when I'm older I read only from time to time.
I'm fan of Sci-Fi & Fantasy & Adventures. I am recently reading few of books from Terry Prachett about Discworld. Its a fantasy with strange sense for humour. 3 quotes:

"You're dead," he said. Keli waited. She couldn't think of any suitable reply. "I'm not" lacked a certain style, while "Is it serious?" seemed somehow too frivolous.
    -- Princess Keli in trouble (Terry Pratchett, Mort)

"It's going to look pretty good, then, isn't it," said War testily, "the One Horseman and Three Pedestrians of the Apocralypse."
    --Sourcery

Rincewind: I'm not going to ride on a magic carpet! I'm afraid of grounds.
    Conina: You mean heights. And stop being silly.
    Rincewind: I know what I mean! It's the grounds that kill you!
    --Sourcery

I really liked a book from David Brinn - Practice effect (http://www.davidbrin.com/practiceeffectsample1.html).

I also liked adventurous books about Mrs. Tragacik ( Samochodzkin ) by polish writer called Zbigniew Nienacki.

Quote from: Alhexx
I'm planning to read that one.

Relf

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2007-01-02 13:30:27 »
Quote from: Alhexx
I'm planning to read that one.
I hate that book with a passion.  :-)

I used to read a great deal, less so now. Typically I liked to read sci-fi/fantasy, history and the occassional "classic".

Fergus McMillan

« Reply #5 on: 2007-01-02 19:47:19 »
I've started re-reading The Hobbit (by Tolkien, obviously). I own the Lord of the Rings trilogy, as well as all 7 Dark Tower books and all of the Potter books that have been released so far.

I was given the two Eragon books for Christmas. I've been ripping on that series mercilessly as being just a giant copy of LotR and Star Wars, but... well, since it was a gift now I feel kind of obligated to read them.

oglsmm

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007-01-08 02:06:19 »
Hey,

I doubt any of you remember me however I've been away for quite a long time now... anyhow to the subject at hand:

I have recently read:

Richard Dawkins: The God Delusion

It's an interesting read, however I found it quite dry, and that given the subject it could have been a bit more engaging to the reader.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007-01-08 05:38:22 »
I used to read back in middle school, and for my high school English classes (had silent reading of whatever we wanted for the first half of the period), but then I ran out of good books so I haven't read much since. I may start reading again once I get my own apartment and don't have to limit myself to what my parents will allow in the house, or once I find another Donald E. Westlake book I haven't read yet, or once I get around to going to the library, which has inconvenient hours that are specifically designed to be closed whenever I actually feel like going.

Basically, I don't read anymore, but I wish I did.

Relf

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2007-01-11 20:12:31 »
Hey,

I doubt any of you remember me however I've been away for quite a long time now...

Hasn't been that long...

Midgar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2007-01-13 02:01:38 »
I read self improvement books and then end up  doing little or none of the work I am supposed to. They are fun because they sound like some 'new age bullshit' but some of it actually works! Some of them have very misleading titles, and on the slow internet I have, its the best value.

Sukaeto

• View Profile
    • Sukaeto's web server
« Reply #10 on: 2007-01-15 00:18:51 »
Heh.  How fitting this topic should show up at a time I actually AM reading something that's not a text book or journal article.

Right now I'm reading Romance of the Three Kingdoms.  (I'm hoping that no one here needs an explaination into what that is.)

Darkness

• View Profile
    • http://www.x0r.net
« Reply #11 on: 2007-01-15 07:45:19 »
I'm reading the first chapters of my textbooks :) (I have 9 of them :( )