Author Topic: PC heatsink troubles  (Read 4774 times)

Neo Bahamut

• View Profile
PC heatsink troubles
« on: 2007-07-07 03:36:57 »
I apologise for the really newbie question. I was using this freaking huge heatsink in my computer and at first, it was a really good heatsink. But lately, my computer has been getting pretty hot and has slowed down quite a bit (though that might just mean it's time for a format). Anyway, I figured I would open up the computer to see what's going on in there and I noticed that the heatsink wasn't making very good contact with the processor. I have a look closer and I notice a bit of plastic had fallen off the mount that the heatsink uses to clamp onto the motherboard.

Long story short, I'm currently using a crappier (lighter) heatsink in the hope that it won't completely disconnect and fall through my graphics card. I need to know how I can go about getting a new mount. Has anyone ever bought a heatsink before? If so, do you know if the mount comes with it? Or (worse case) will I need to buy a new motherboard? Oh, and just in case it matters, it's an AM2 motherboard.

I should remember really, since I built this computer myself, but it's the first one I've ever built and I have a horrible memory.

PS The "little plastic bit" that I'm talking about can be seen here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/viewPhoto?uname=opteron.delivery&aid=5003946683877836993&iid=5003964550941788370
(The two bits of plastic which stick out, next to the screws)

PPS Been a while since I last posted here, I'm kinda surpriced it's still around. I was looking for help and remembered this place because of all of the insanely smart people here *Ends shameless sucking up* :-D .
« Last Edit: 2007-07-07 03:47:56 by Neo Bahamut »

Jari

Re: PC heatsink troubles
« Reply #1 on: 2007-07-07 09:58:55 »
I need to know how I can go about getting a new mount. Has anyone ever bought a heatsink before? If so, do you know if the mount comes with it? Or (worse case) will I need to buy a new motherboard? Oh, and just in case it matters, it's an AM2 motherboard.

Retention frame - that's the official name for the part you borked - usually does not come with heatsinks - especially so with AM2. It seems that many heatsink manufacturers have thought that large copper heatsinks in excess of 500 grams can just be attached to the original and more or less weak frame, which is madness. It will break sooner or later, if you happen to bump the computer for example.

That being said, certain heatsinks do use their own frames, or different kinds of bolt-thru kits, and for some you have to get them as accessories, like some Thermalright products. Do note that at least some of these - probably most, if not all - are proprietary and can be used to mount only heatsinks from the company that made them. And usually only particular model even then.

And you can get just the retention frame as a spare too, if you look hard enough. Then again, I haven't seen AM2 frame sold separately yet, but that's probably just a question of time. These should be generic, allowing mounting of any heatsink, but then again, with computers generic just means something that fits most things, there's always at least one manufacturer that has managed to come up with a "bright" idea of some kind, breaking compatibility.

Or you could salvage a frame from a borked AM2 motherboard, if you happen to know anyone who has one of those. Probably the most effective solution, especially if you can get one for free. :P

So, most likely you don't need to buy a new motherboard, but at least some of the fixes I described will probably cost more than a cheap motherboard. :/

stu

« Reply #2 on: 2007-07-07 10:24:58 »
I apologise for the really newbie question. I was using this freaking huge heatsink in my computer...[yeah yeah blah etc. cont'd ad infinitum j/k]

i must offer my wisdom to you, as it is still 1 week fresh (in other words, i recently rid myself of heatsink woes):

i have a 2.6mhz p4 prescott -- prescott chips are well known for running really really hot.  THIS one, however, was a daredevil and would run at about 176oc (80of), which to be honest, was scaring the ever-living scheiße out of me (iydk, 70oc is considered 'the danger zone', usually).

I get a ThermalTake Big Typhoon, now it runs 37-43oc.  it is an absolute monster, nearly didn't fit in my case, had to remove things to get it in... but it was worth every bit of the trouble!

and it'll work with your computer (you have an AM2, right?) - you'll remove the retention module in it's entirety! :evil:

Neo Bahamut

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2007-07-07 21:13:56 »
Ahh, thanks guys. So, I suppose I'll either look for a seller of ThermalTake in the UK (or some other similar heatsink). Or I could just get a really really cheapo motherboard and steal the retention module off that.

stu

« Reply #4 on: 2007-07-08 07:13:48 »
Ahh, thanks guys. So, I suppose I'll either look for a seller of ThermalTake in the UK (or some other similar heatsink). Or I could just get a really really cheapo motherboard and steal the retention module off that.

i bought the one i got from ebay for about $20 or$30 below retail - look there!

Darkness

• View Profile
    • http://www.x0r.net
« Reply #5 on: 2007-07-09 06:46:18 »
80 isnt that bad for some types of processors. Supposedly core 2s are rated up to 120 or so.

James Pond

• Forums Grumpy Bastard....At The Best Of Times.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2007-07-11 14:29:57 »
I think my amd64x2 6000 runs around 80-90 normally

The Skillster

• Loving every Final Fantasy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2007-07-24 06:50:47 »
Is that in F or C?
My core 2 duo 1.8 Ghz CPU runs at average 50 C.