Author Topic: New Game+  (Read 7686 times)

StickySock

• View Profile
New Game+
« on: 2011-08-17 19:39:51 »
Sorry if this topic has already been created and the idea already discussed, but I was wondering if it was possible to have a new game+ feature to ff7.

It would be pretty pointless for the original ff7 to have a new game+ but if you could have multiple difficulty levels in a rebalance mod you could take your save from like a medium difficulty and use it to start a new hard difficulty playthrough.

Doing that may seem like a waste of time because you might as well start another playthrough on the same difficulty, but if your stuff from the first playthrough would be a necessity for the second, and you could maybe get bonus items from the second that are really powerful, it might make an interested progression system.

On second thought, I still wouldn't mind just having a new game+ feature for the original ff7. I understand it would probably be unrealistic for the amount of coding that would need to be done,  but it was something I always felt was missing from final fantasy games.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
Re: New Game+
« Reply #1 on: 2011-08-17 19:58:20 »
if you want a new game+, just edit your save game accordingly or edit the kernel initial data

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011-08-17 20:03:22 »
Use Black Chocobo

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #3 on: 2011-08-17 20:23:52 »
Use Black Chocobo
Yes Use my Tool!

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #4 on: 2011-08-17 20:24:23 »
if you want a new game+, just edit your save game accordingly or edit the kernel initial data

No, use mine! :P

EDIT:
And a little bit of history. I made an attempt a while back at making a New Game+ app, but Vincent and Cait Sith turned out to make it complicated.
« Last Edit: 2011-08-17 20:26:10 by NFITC1 »

syntax error

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2011-08-17 21:41:29 »
Welcome to Chronal Tantasyger VII.
Travel into the era when Shin-Ra built Midgar
and fight their giant helmet robots.

StickySock

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2011-08-17 22:06:44 »
Welcome to Chronal Tantasyger VII.
Travel into the era when Shin-Ra built Midgar
and fight their giant helmet robots.

Final Fantasy VIII?
« Last Edit: 2011-08-17 22:10:09 by StickySock »

sithlord48

• View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #7 on: 2011-08-18 12:08:13 »
No, use mine! :P

EDIT:
And a little bit of history. I made an attempt a while back at making a New Game+ app, but Vincent and Cait Sith turned out to make it complicated.

this is why BC saves your cait and vincent char data so they can be reimported when you get them in your new game. its an easy way to keep them correct. as you know NFITC1 the young cloud and sephiroth data only changes to cait/vincent when you get those chars not automaticly after the flashback .

i have played newgame+ thru on my PSX a few times there is no issues other then that  and yuffie's level getting auto calculated when she joins. and you can manually export her from you save and reimport if you want to keep that.

khemchicken

« Reply #8 on: 2012-01-11 06:47:08 »
Thank you for this article. That’s all I can say. You most definitely have made this post into something special. You clearly know what you are doing, you’ve covered so many bases.Thanks!

« Last Edit: 2012-01-15 05:15:37 by khemchicken »

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: 2012-01-11 07:09:11 »

[/size]Could we not 'just' get a function to reset the savemap's progress flags / global vars and set the location to the opening of the bombing mission? Pretty sure FFVII is quite liberal about load co-ordinates.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2012-01-11 07:36:43 »

[/size]Could we not 'just' get a function to reset the savemap's progress flags / global vars and set the location to the opening of the bombing mission? Pretty sure FFVII is quite liberal about load co-ordinates.
The problem is that Cait Sith and Vincent share slots with Young Cloud and Sephiroth. It causes Young Cloud and Sephiroth to have the wrong stats, and Cait Sith and Vincent to be set back to their INITIAL stats when you eventually reacquire them.

That being said, it's almost certainly doable if you don't mind some stat oddities that make two of your characters nearly worthless.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: 2012-01-11 11:35:21 »
Ah, of course. Don't really see any obvious way around that, unless you have Cloud Jr. and Sephy take the stats of Cait and Vinny at last save, though it'd be a little immersion-breaking. You'd have to make sure Sephiroth inherited a sane weapon selection, mind.

The only other thing you could do is write a (possibly rather complicated) function that copied data to and from free space in the savemap. I don't know if that space exists. Probably not.

sithlord48

• View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #12 on: 2012-01-11 12:46:47 »
Ah, of course. Don't really see any obvious way around that, unless you have Cloud Jr. and Sephy take the stats of Cait and Vinny at last save, though it'd be a little immersion-breaking. You'd have to make sure Sephiroth inherited a sane weapon selection, mind.

i've tried that but sephiroth is very picky about his stats,items and materias... in the end the ezest solution was to export them and have the user reimport them . i don't think we have the space in the save map extra . we would need 132 bytes per char so 264 bytes total would be needed to store the other two chars. (this could be done in the psx version easily as it doesn't use the whole 8k its allowed. but then you still need some kind of psx mod to add the functions in to the kernel. the pc would be the hardest to do this with because its only got enuff lengh for the savemap with no header or footer (unlike all others that are basicly psx saves.) also it should be noted that cait and vincent  do not get stats untill they enter the party if you never get vincent he will never change from sephiroth (same if we could somehow not get cait)