Author Topic: FF7Music problems  (Read 4040 times)

zero88

• View Profile
FF7Music problems
« on: 2009-08-18 07:27:33 »
Every time I try to save any configuration settings in FF7Music, it tells me it's unable to write to C:\...\FF7MUSIC.ini. Plus I can't start FF7 from within FF7Music, so even if I could save settings, I'd probably be out of luck to start the game (although I think if I solve the save settings problem, the FF7 starting issue will probably disappear).

I've tried an older version of FF7Music that requires the ff7.exe to be patched. Still no luck. If I try it without the custom OpenGL driver, clean maximum install, the game starts, but FF7Music doesn't play any of my sound files. If I try it with the driver, I get an R6034 run-time error, which Google brings up nothing for me to do to solve that problem.

I think the problem has something or everything to do with me being on Windows 7 and its difficult security procedures. Using "Run as administrator" doesn't help. Manually elevating privileges doesn't help. I feel like running Windows XP wouldn't give me any problems, which is what I might end up having to install.

I'm at a loss. Any help?

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
Re: FF7Music problems
« Reply #1 on: 2009-08-18 13:52:53 »
UAC is screwing you over. Either disable it, or run everything involved as administrator. Including Notepad (or whatever text editor you use), when you want to edit the config file.

MS, in all their brilliance, decided that nobody should ever be able to modify the Program Files directory, so they made it abnormally difficult. It is for this reason that my tutorial suggests installing to somewhere other than the default, such as C:\FF7\

IIRC, you'll want to run FF7.exe as in Win98 compatibility mode, and FF7Music (which is in your ficedula folder I hope) as admin.

zero88

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009-08-18 20:19:49 »
Hmm, well that allowed me to actually run FF7Music, which I'm thankful for. Unfortunately, when I try to run it in conjunction with Aali's OpenGL driver, it doesn't playback any of my PSFs (which I've opted to use instead of MP3s), just the MIDIs. Without the OpenGL driver, everything's fine, although I haven't figured out how to mute the MIDI, but at least FF7Music works.

I am wondering if there's something I need to change in the OpenGL driver's configuration file. Any help?

EDIT: Never mind, I've fixed it. For whatever reason, there was a # sign in front of the music plugin path in my OpenGL driver configuration file. Removing it muted the MIDI files and successfully and without problem played my PSFs. Putting the # sign back created the problem I described earlier in this post...hmm. Oh well. At least I've fixed it.
« Last Edit: 2009-08-18 22:02:19 by zero88 »

Hellbringer616

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009-08-18 23:34:57 »
Zero88 I F*ckin love you! you just fixed my issue with FF7 music not working at all.

THANK YOU!!!!

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009-08-19 01:45:29 »
Zero88 I F*ckin love you! you just fixed my issue with FF7 music not working at all.

THANK YOU!!!!
Really?  That fix has been posted quite a few times... sigh... well at least you got it working