Author Topic: crash at cosmo canyon  (Read 5310 times)

jimmyhaha

crash at cosmo canyon
« on: 2002-07-14 02:08:09 »
im running ff7 for pc on win 98
800 athlon
geforce 2 gts

i just recently got to cosmo canyon and when u go into that observatory and one of your team members say look a shooting star the game just hangs

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
crash at cosmo canyon
« Reply #1 on: 2002-07-14 03:46:02 »
It's supposed to play a movie at that point, if I remember correctly.  Look at your CD - scratched at all?  Maybe you should try locating that movie on the CD, and see if it plays correctly (they are AVI files).

Also, what version of Windows are you running?  Version of FF7?  Any fancy sound or video settings?

mallaca51

i have the same crash
« Reply #2 on: 2002-07-14 04:45:34 »
thats wat happens to my version too.... it goes look a shooting star... plays  the movie ad then it just show buggenhagen preaching and everyones eyes blinking....it looked like it still worked but i could nly press ctrl+q thats it......im using XP pro and having being proud of my chocobo patching this annoys me.... please help....p.s. its not the video i checked

Sephiroth 3D

• View Profile
    • ModCitizen 42
crash at cosmo canyon
« Reply #3 on: 2002-07-14 06:50:54 »
Woah... Since You're running 98 jimmyhaha, I would agree with Aaron that it might be the CD's movie file. Of course, it might also be your CD drive... That's just a thought, don't freak out.

mallaca51: That could be the directX. The video will play fine in the OS, but in the game, it has to run through DX & other crap to work, so it MAY be the video, in a sense. It may also be your OS...

Or I could be totally wrong and this is another glitch in the game that we'll need to patch...

Sephiroth 3D

"I don't understand..." "You don't have to understand." - Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within

Sephiroth 3D.com
[email protected]

mallaca51

im pretty sure it isnt
« Reply #4 on: 2002-07-14 07:00:54 »
the video plays absolutely fine.....THEN the game hangs.....u might be right tho..... it happen also wen i watched the slaes video in the shinra building..... so it might be the video......but if some1 can tell me a list of the video files can they post it here..thanx

ShinRa Inc

• The Ascension of the Ordinary Man
    • View Profile
    • http://shinrainc.org
crash at cosmo canyon
« Reply #5 on: 2002-07-14 21:34:03 »
I think that cutscene only plays if you have Aeris in your party

Threesixty

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/threesixtyci/
crash at cosmo canyon
« Reply #6 on: 2002-07-14 23:28:57 »
This is a common lock up.....Unfortantly there isn't a quick solution.

The latest one I've heard was to do all of Eidos' suggestions.

-------------------
This problem is a delay in the movie playback causing the game to crash. The following solutions have worked for many users. We highly recommend that you back up the System Registry before making changes.

ONE

The simplest method is to run the FF7 Configuration and set the video mode to "Software". Also set the resolution to 320x240. Then play through the section of the game. When you have passed the trouble spot, save at the first available save point. You can continue playing or exit and restore the previous configuration.
TWO

A second solution to try is to Lower Hardware Acceleration for Video in Windows. You can do this from the Advanced Graphics Settings panel found by accessing the System Properties Control Panel:

Go to Start>Settings>Control Panels>System>Performance>Graphics.

Normally, Windows will be set be default to Full Acceleration. We suggest Lowering it to Half or None. You will then need to Restart Windows for the change to take effect, and try FFVII again. This will affect other programs in Windows, so regardless of whether this work-around allows you to play on in FFVII, you should likely set it back to the origional setting when you find either it did not work, or when you get thorugh the crash spot, and Save your Game.

THREE

Another solution is copy all the movies from the CD onto the hard drive. The movies for the game are located on each game disk 1, 2, and 3 in the \ff7\movies directory. This will not put more than the 500M or so of movie data on your HD.

Once you have copied the movies to the hard disk run regedit and find the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII

You will find the line that says:

"MoviePath"="d:\FF7\Movies\"

Click on the key "MoviePath" and click on Edit on the Menu bar at the top of the Window. Click on Modify. Enter the new path:

"MoviePath"="c:\windows\desktop\Movies\"(or which ever path to which you saved the movies.)

When you change disks, will will need to copy the movies on the new disk to the hard drive in the same directory. It is safe to delete the movies as you will not return to the previous disk

--------------------

Those are Eidos'....my suggestion is to do the copy to harddrive trick, and then copy another movie over the nonworking one.....which will be, boogdown.avi. I believe boogdown.avi is on all the disk...so maybe replace it from another disk will solve the problem. But, then maybe  using junin_in.avi in it's place, will work, who knows?

Hmm,....but before you do that, doubleclicking on boogdown.avi, to see if it plays well in mediaplayer....maybe the cd-rom isn't spinning up in time, because of a scratch or something.

jimmyhaha

crash at cosmo canyon
« Reply #7 on: 2002-07-15 19:21:53 »
i tried all three suggestions it still dosent work. im running the latest unnoficial version for ff7 or im not too shure everything has worked fine up to this point

Threesixty

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/threesixtyci/
crash at cosmo canyon
« Reply #8 on: 2002-07-18 22:49:27 »
At the same time?

and what about my forth option?

You could try putting directsound into basic mode. type dxdiag in the run box of windows, and go to the sound tab.

But as far as I know...the only "real" solution is to let someone else play through for you. But the above solutions had worked for a few people.

You can also try unloading and reloading the audio and video compression. It's inside Add/remove programs, inside windows setup, inside multimedia. better to reboot between the remove and add parts.

jimmyhaha

crash at cosmo canyon
« Reply #9 on: 2002-07-19 11:04:19 »
anybody got a save file for anywhere after the cosmo canyon talk ?

Sephiroth 3D

• View Profile
    • ModCitizen 42
crash at cosmo canyon
« Reply #10 on: 2002-07-19 15:48:46 »
I do, but I'm not at my computer right now. I'll get something up when I get home later.

Sephiroth 3D @ School

jimmyhaha

crash at cosmo canyon
« Reply #11 on: 2002-07-19 22:26:20 »
thx

Sephiroth 3D

• View Profile
    • ModCitizen 42
crash at cosmo canyon
« Reply #12 on: 2002-07-20 06:08:12 »
Ok, I've uploaded my Storeyline savegame files here, so get them at your lesiure.

Sephiroth 3D

"I don't understand..." "You don't have to understand." - Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within

Sephiroth 3D.com
[email protected]

lim20

• View Profile
crash at cosmo canyon
« Reply #13 on: 2003-03-11 07:48:09 »
i've read all the comments about the 'canyon problem', and have the same problem. i've tried every option you mentioned, but the all didn't work. you said that the only other way to go pass the movie scene is to let someone play for you through the movie scene. now i wonder if any of you guys is so kind to just play through the scene and then save it again for me.

Sephiroth 3D

• View Profile
    • ModCitizen 42
crash at cosmo canyon
« Reply #14 on: 2003-03-11 09:07:17 »
Just so you know, as a general rule, we don't bring up topics that are over a month or so old.