Author Topic: Fieldscript opcode refrence  (Read 3160 times)

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
Fieldscript opcode refrence
« on: 2006-06-29 13:00:42 »
Hi there,
    I'm still alive... I'm also at work and don't have a lot of time.

I have a horrably innacurate and woefully incomplete fieldscript opcode refrence. I need it updated. (Most of this is from Qhimm anyway)
Download it here.
http://q-gears.sourceforge.net/tines.pdf

I could use some help fleshing it out.

Akari

• View Profile
Re: Fieldscript opcode refrence
« Reply #1 on: 2006-06-29 15:10:50 »
Do I need to start implement this thing already?  :-D
I cant wait =)

Oww.. I need to create placeholders for other moduls first  :-)

By the way. Do square programm events with this opcodes, or they use some script language, that was precompiled later?

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
« Reply #2 on: 2006-06-29 18:50:02 »
Probably some script language, but likely not much higher than the opcodes themselves plus macros and simple control constructs. I have a fair lot of the opcodes implemented (think virtual machine) as part of a project a while back, I'll see if I can find the code...

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 2006-06-29 22:16:05 »
The opcodes are pretty powerful at the higher level controlling whole threads. I like to think it's FORTH-ish but without the stack management.

(Ok, I know Forth, everyone point and laugh at me now...)

I'm guessing the math fuctions were probably picked by thier context by the compiler. (PLUS vs PLUS2) I also assume they has some header file to keep track of the globals.

The problem I have right now is my script dumper (Actually, it's Kero's) barely parses. It loses track of how many bytes to jump back to jump forwards. It also have very little concept of "pass by value" addressing. It's kind of a pain.

I'm just a little too lazy to make a script dumper myself.... and with Qhimm having one "somewhere" isn't exactly modivating me to crack open the Ruby to write my own. :P

But I'll work through some script dumps tonight. I'll document what I can...

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006-06-30 15:31:47 »
The opcodes are pretty powerful at the higher level controlling whole threads. I like to think it's FORTH-ish but without the stack management.

(Ok, I know Forth, everyone point and laugh at me now...)
Only if you really want us too!
I would have to look at the instruction flow.  Likely its some strange OOP language.  I doubt it's like smalltalk though since it had huge fees associated with it.
I'm guessing the math fuctions were probably picked by thier context by the compiler. (PLUS vs PLUS2) I also assume they has some header file to keep track of the globals.
Maybe depends on how the language worked.  If for example it uses object pascals unitization system, this just says 'I need the definitions of this module'. It's does not use a header file though it reads the compiled object file instead of parsing yet another file.
I suppose one should ponder what the script language looked like, based on the opcodes left by it and there organization.
Heck we could just wait until FF8 to work on that though.  Since we are utterly clueless at the moment.
All we know is it supports coroutines (IE threads), Obviously globals, Possibly locals, and possibly object oriented data organization.
If the character under the user control is an object a lot of the scripting is simplified in a way.
The problem I have right now is my script dumper (Actually, it's Kero's) barely parses. It loses track of how many bytes to jump back to jump forwards. It also have very little concept of "pass by value" addressing. It's kind of a pain.
Well I suppose you could whip up your own ... and after a few months resume? :)
I'm just a little too lazy to make a script dumper myself.... and with Qhimm having one "somewhere" isn't exactly modivating me to crack open the Ruby to write my own. :P
But I'll work through some script dumps tonight. I'll document what I can...
LOL
I suppose this is where things be then?
Anyhow back to finishing what I started.

Cyb