Author Topic: [FF7] Tutorial for Bootleg - Tifa's Bootleg  (Read 2436266 times)

warriorpoet

• View Profile
Re: [Tutorial] Tifa's Bootleg
« Reply #1175 on: 2013-07-14 22:33:20 »
First off, LOVE this project; it's great!

Second thing, and probably the most minor issue you'll ever see:  Everything works GREAT, except one thing.  Cloud's face texture appears incomplete (using "no change" battle model).  There's a black artifact-y blob where his mouth is.  Please tell me there's a simple fix, as everything else works so well :)

game version: Steam
Video: 7970 GHz (Cat 13.2)

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #1176 on: 2013-07-14 22:43:22 »
Should I be worried that I don't have Compress Textures enabled and this still happens?

That's up to you to find out. Honestly, we have no proof if Bootleg is really causing your hard drive to periodically fill up. The only case it may be is if texture cache is enabled through that option, but it's not for you. I don't know what else to say, sorry  :|

Thanks for this! My problem seems to be solved, as I actually made it past the Kalm/Nibelheim and saved outside of the Chocobo Ranch. Usually Catalyst lets me know when a new driver is available. "Usually" being the operative word. Maybe because it's a beta? In any case, thanks again.

The 13.5 beta2 are not the latest drivers. People have been testing and determining what works and what doesn't. You can read about it here: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=14264.0

Hello. 

I want to thank you in advance for all the wonderful mods you have compiled.  They're very awesome.

Now, to get to the point.  I've been playing with the Nightmare Overhaul conversion that I installed through your lists of mods.  They've been working great, until I get to the part of the game where I'm trying to escape from the reactor meltdown.  After you fight Shinra soldiers, and make your way back up through the elevator, I get stuck after talking to Jesse, and Cloud just moves downward without me pressing any buttons, and won't allow me to continue moving.  This allows the timer to reach 0 and I get a game over.  Is there any way to fix this issue?

You should post this in the N7 thread: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=13468.0

First off, LOVE this project; it's great!

Second thing, and probably the most minor issue you'll ever see:  Everything works GREAT, except one thing.  Cloud's face texture appears incomplete (using "no change" battle model).  There's a black artifact-y blob where his mouth is.  Please tell me there's a simple fix, as everything else works so well :)

game version: Steam
Video: 7970 GHz (Cat 13.2)

Can you post a screenshot? I'd also like to see your APP.log after the battle ends. Just play a fight normally and exit game right afterward, then post it.

You may run into graphical issues with your current drivers. You can read about upgrading to 13.5 beta2 drivers here: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=14264.0

warriorpoet

• View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: 2013-07-14 22:48:16 »
Hm.  Not really sure how to take an in-game screenshot.  Can you help?

Template

• Life is a series of cats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: 2013-07-14 22:49:24 »
Cloud's face texture appears incomplete (using "no change" battle model).  There's a black artifact-y blob where his mouth is.  Please tell me there's a simple fix, as everything else works so well :)
It's true and it's really ugly. Like someone tried to draw a fuzzy beard on him in Microsoft paint. Here's the corrected files. You need to dump your battle.lgp and then copy the files from the download to your unencoded battle folder. Then finally, encode the modified battle folder into battle.lgp and replace the file in your game directory. Pain but it should work. 

warriorpoet

• View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: 2013-07-14 22:51:04 »
It's true and it's really ugly. Like someone tried to draw a fuzzy beard on him in Microsoft paint. Here's the corrected files. You need to dump your battle.lgp and then copy the files from the download to your unencoded battle folder. Then finally, encode the modified battle folder into battle.lgp and replace the file in your game directory. Pain but it should work.
Oh wow.  Thanks!  That's EXACTLY my issue.

Not sure I understand what you're saying, but I figured out Morrowind modding, I should be able to figure this out, too :)

Template

• View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: 2013-07-14 22:58:28 »
We need a good tutorial with screenies for uLGP .7 That is the easy to use utility for adding patches like this to your lgp files. The only twist is that it can't overwrite to an existing lgp file so you need to type in where you want the new one for encoding. I put my folders for compiling on my desktop and then when I'm ready to encode an lgp i simply cut/paste the address of the folder to the lgp field and then add .lgp to it and hit encode. Then it drops my lgp file on my desktop. Hope that makes sense. After that you can copy the lgp you made from your desktop into your proper data directory. For me its C:\Games\FF7\data\battle\battle.lgp (which is where you need to start from when you dump it)
I'll make a tutorial if I get time. I sorta started to but it got out of control.

Alathios

• View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: 2013-07-14 23:01:35 »
Hello,

I'm having a problem. I installed Final Fantasy VII a couple of days ago through Steam and I've been using Bootleg. All was fine and well until I reached the world map, it was all black. Tried this and that, found out that it was bootleg ( not the additional mods ) that caused it.

Any advice?

Cheers.

warriorpoet

• View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: 2013-07-14 23:07:20 »
Thanks!

I used this tutorial: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=9924.0

and everything looks great.  Onward and upward!

Template

• View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: 2013-07-14 23:10:46 »
I installed Final Fantasy VII a couple of days ago through Steam and I've been using Bootleg. All was fine and well until I reached the world map, it was all black. Tried this and that, found out that it was bootleg ( not the additional mods ) that caused it.
Quote from: Template
Lots of issues with STEAM... I installed bootleg on a fresh steam build this morning to double check. Seemed fine.
Guys, Kompass63 has a new version of his Game Converter out.
I wanna suggest it for anyone having trouble with getting through the bootleg process itself.
Please completely uninstall STEAM itself in order to move it outside of the Program Files directories. (If it isn't already) If that's already been done and STEAM itself is outside your program files directories, then:
Use Kompass's Remove FF7 Keys utility to clean your registry.
Then install steam (outside the program files directories), then install ff7, the Game Converter, and finally, bootleg. Some people are having success with this method. Lets see if we are on to something.
Sorry for reposting from last page but I really want people to start trying this for issues where it appears filenames are incorrect. world_us.lgp gets switched around with the others or something and I imagine the flevel.lgps do, too. Kompass63's Game Converter seems to help.

thepsynergist

• View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: 2013-07-14 23:15:24 »

josheru

• View Profile
« Reply #1185 on: 2013-07-15 01:26:12 »
I am getting the "please insert disk..." message after installing the mod and trying to run the game. This is my third attempt at installation and I'm sad that it's not working. Is there anyone that is able to help me at all? I'm normally pretty good at following directions, but I just can't seem to get this right apparently.

I have 64-bit Windows Vista, and I purchased the Steam version of the game. I feel like the issue here is probably linked to Steam being a jackass about me choosing to install only one game on a different drive, but I seriously don't want to reinstall everything I have on Steam just to see if it will help me mod FF7.

Edit: I forgot to add that I did try all of the suggestions in the FAQ for this problem. None of them seemed to work for my situation.

EDIT 2: As embarrassing as it is to admit this, I probably should in case someone else has this problem. I fixed the issue by renaming the virtual drive from "FF7Disk1" to "FF7Disc1". I now have a new problem that I will make a new post for.
« Last Edit: 2013-07-15 02:36:02 by josheru »

Hopenosis

• View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: 2013-07-15 02:10:30 »
The 13.5 beta2 are not the latest drivers. People have been testing and determining what works and what doesn't. You can read about it here: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=14264.0

Interesting. I guess I should have tried looking in the troubleshooting forum more than I did. I just knew that if I kept watching this thread, someone would eventually report a similar issue! In any case, that driver is newer than what I had installed. Thanks again.

josheru

• View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: 2013-07-15 02:36:48 »
I have music but no sound. What can I do about this?

Solved: For some reason, using my television as a cloned display had split the music and the sound between the two sets of speakers. Running FF7config.exe while having them cloned was enough to fix the issue.
« Last Edit: 2013-07-17 01:40:21 by josheru »

Alexandrious

• View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: 2013-07-15 05:13:34 »
I followed your instructions completely to the letter.  After doing the bootleg loader, placing in the hardcore preset and making some adjustments.  I went with gjoerulvs hardcore mod.  I gotta ask, are all the enemies even the scorpian boss supposed to have like 3-5x or so HP?  The scorpian boss even withstood about 20 Thunders and still wouldnt die.

famouswolfe

• View Profile
Can't get past Bootleg process
« Reply #1189 on: 2013-07-15 06:03:32 »
Thanks everyone for the guides here, my apologies for asking for this. I just got the Steam version of FF7 today, and have followed the instructions EXACTLY as they are given. When I'm on Step 8 which is to run Bootleg from BFE, I keep getting an error saying "access denied, installation aborted." I've tried using Kompass's game converter but I run into another snag, it asks me to insert a FF7 disc when I have none. Please help, I'm at my wits end here. I've tried uninstalling and re-installing etc and NOTHING seems to work. Thanks in advance.

Edit: Problem solved, nevermind! I created a desktop shortcut for BFE and closed Windows Explorer. Also I forgot to properly mount my installation folder in BFE. I was running the program but it couldn't find my actual FF7 folder  :-D. And to make it worse, I still had my Steam folder inside of Program Files. A quick google search and I was able to move the entire folder out of program files and put it in a non-system folder. Installer is doing its thing as we speak  :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: 2013-07-15 06:35:03 by famouswolfe »

Template

• View Profile
Re: Can't get past Bootleg process
« Reply #1190 on: 2013-07-15 06:41:54 »
Thanks everyone for the guides here, my apologies for asking for this. I just got the Steam version of FF7 today, and have followed the instructions EXACTLY as they are given. When I'm on Step 8 which is to run Bootleg from BFE, I keep getting an error saying "access denied, installation aborted." I've tried using Kompass's game converter but I run into another snag, it asks me to insert a FF7 disc when I have none. Please help, I'm at my wits end here. I've tried uninstalling and re-installing etc and NOTHING seems to work. Thanks in advance.

Edit: Problem solved, nevermind! I created a desktop shortcut for BFE and closed Windows Explorer. Also I forgot to properly mount my installation folder in BFE. I was running the program but it couldn't find my actual FF7 folder  :-D. And to make it worse, I still had my Steam folder inside of Program Files. A quick google search and I was able to move the entire folder out of program files and put it in a non-system folder. Installer is doing its thing as we speak  :mrgreen:
Good work solving this issue. Something I want to point out about Kompass's Game Converter: you can literally make your own CD image and name the VOLUME FF7DISC1 to get going, put a single file in so the imageburner will make the ISO for you. Or you can download mine. You'll have to get a program like UltraISO to mount it (these are free to use) and then you should be good to go. Or like Komp says you can use a USB stick or even a floppy disk!  :-D

Kompass63

• View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: 2013-07-15 08:25:45 »
Microsoft .Net Framework Unhandled exception:
Code: [Select]
I too am having this issue.
.net framwork is up to date.
I'm not sure if it's enough to have the newest .NET version.
It can maybe helpful to install .NET2.0 too. (+ Updates)

I've installed all of the mods and when i click "run bootleg" the Final Fantasy VII Configuration window will not pop up.  The black window will pop up though and it asks me which models i want....(cloud models, save point models, install team avalanche high resolution graphics, etc.) and after choosing a model for Aerith the window simply closes out and nothing else happens.
"BFE.exe" seems not to have the parameters passed to "Bootleg.exe".
Are the two programs in a system folder?

Wrong place for this, I know, but I ain't sure this deserves a whole thread in the Troubleshooting board. Anyways, the remaining available space on my HDD has been "fluctuating" by a range of about 8GB ever since I've gotten Bootleg and been playing it again. Right now, it's at 61.8GB, and I haven't played it today. Yesterday, it was at around 57GB, and I haven't uninstalled or deleted anything (Except a 5MB .swf file that I downloaded and deleted shortly after today). I think this has something to do with Bootleg, because this has only happened since I've gotten it. I am aware there are viruses (Like Vundo, for instance) that can make the amount of space you have left on your hard drive "fluctuate", but I've ran a full scan at least once ofter the past few days with Malwarebytes and gotten nothing. What gives?
Should I be worried that I don't have Compress Textures enabled and this still happens?
You can note the memory consumption of the hard disk and the games folder.
After that you play two minutes. (or so)
Then again you control the memory consumption.
Tell what happens.

Or like Komp says you can use a USB stick or even a floppy disk!  :-D
But please only 5.25 inch floppies :-D

Razzy

• View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: 2013-07-15 08:50:30 »
Tifa, or anyone else

how did you get grunts for your characters O: ?
Like when they are about to attack an enemy they have like a small grunt/sound they do whilst they attack.
I downloaded your torrent and thought it would already be there.

Athilias

• View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: 2013-07-15 09:15:27 »
So I got almost everything working properly, but the materia option does not appear in the menu and neither does the option below config, it also won't play full screen. I'm honestly not sure what the issue could be since everything is green on bootloader and there was no issues while installing.

Template

• View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: 2013-07-15 09:16:58 »
how did you get grunts for your characters O: ?
Like when they are about to attack an enemy they have like a small grunt/sound they do whilst they attack.

OR if you want to install the sounds yourself without redoing bootleg, instructions and download are HERE.

Thanks! I got the Always Run option working, but it looks like I need to press Ctrl+F4 every time I start up the game. :(
Is there any way to change the default to ON? I never had to turn it on when I was using the Menu Overhaul.
I found a better another can't get it to apply these patches permanently, though I'm probably missing something way to do the Always Run, Gypt and Save/PHS anywhere patches: this program Otyugh. Shoulda known there was something slick like this already done for The Reunion.
« Last Edit: 2013-07-15 11:40:14 by Template »

Razzy

• View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: 2013-07-15 10:17:26 »
Thanks for the help!

Got it almost all figured out.
Now I'm wondering how to install new mods that people release into the game? To be usable in BFE?
Like character models and new portraits ?

Template

• View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: 2013-07-15 10:45:48 »
Now I'm wondering how to install new mods that people release into the game? To be usable in BFE? Like character models and new portraits ?
Unfortunately BFE is a standalone thing and if you want to change mods that have been released since Bootleg 40 (which was last Summer) or just move things around without having to completely reinstall, a good place to start is honestly at the start of this page in this thread. The issue with Cloud's base battle model from bootleg being corrupted, which warriorpoet was able to modify himself:
Thanks! I used this tutorial: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=9924.0 and everything looks great. Onward and upward!
Hehe. My dad used to say onward and upward all the time!  8)

Luciferkrist

• View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: 2013-07-15 12:35:24 »
OK having a most frustrating time here with the steam version. After many hours of getting everything downloaded(several times) and in it's new location out of program files, I was finally able to get the Bootlader to work.

Only thing is it keeps causing a "Windows host process (rundll32) has stopped working" error everytime I try to launch the game through it. I've tried just about every combination on the configure menu, and no luck.

The error details are as follows:

Problem Event Name:   BEX
  Application Name:   rundll32.exe
  Application Version:   6.1.7600.16385
  Application Timestamp:   4a5bc637
  Fault Module Name:   StackHash_0a9e
  Fault Module Version:   0.0.0.0
  Fault Module Timestamp:   00000000
  Exception Offset:   033600a5
  Exception Code:   c0000005
  Exception Data:   00000008
  OS Version:   6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
  Locale ID:   1033
  Additional Information 1:   0a9e
  Additional Information 2:   0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
  Additional Information 3:   0a9e
  Additional Information 4:   0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

I have absolutely no idea what is going on with that.

Sorry if this makes no sense, I usually don't have issues that aren't solvable by simple google searches.

Template

• View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: 2013-07-15 12:46:53 »
OK having a most frustrating time here with the steam version. After many hours of getting everything downloaded(several times) and in it's new location out of program files, I was finally able to get the Bootlader to work.
Only thing is it keeps causing a "Windows host process (rundll32) has stopped working" error everytime I try to launch the game through it. I've tried just about every combination on the configure menu, and no luck.
Sorry if this makes no sense, I usually don't have issues that aren't solvable by simple google searches.
Need some more information from you since the game wont launch at all. What operating system? Do you have all your system files updated? Do you have .Net framework installed and repeatedly updated? Someone suggested needing .net 4 AND .net 2. Just taking a big swing at it, let us know what video card you are using, what type of computer processor and operating system please^^

Luciferkrist

• View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: 2013-07-15 13:07:13 »
Windows 7 64 Os. As far as I can tell everything is up to date for my system files. An AMD955 black 3.2ghz processor and a GeForce GT 640 Graphics card.

And sorry, but I am unsure about my .net framework status. Going to grab them both just in case.

No change.

Appreciate the try.

UPDATE:

Finally after repairing and replacing rundll32 all together got it to launch, everything is there, but...

It crashes on the swirl-screen before the first battle. Looked at other posts about something similiar, but so far nothing is working. Hell I can't even FIND the crash report it says it is creating. Was kinda excited to finally play a game I bought 4 days ago...

OK screw it. It is now giving me an rundll32 error AGAIN. I have changed nothing. The universe has spoken.
« Last Edit: 2013-07-15 18:58:21 by Luciferkrist »