Author Topic: [FF8PC-Steam] BerryMapper- texture replacement for Tonberry mod (2014-12-15)  (Read 351646 times)

Devina

• View Profile
Re: [FF8-steam] Character texture replacement
« Reply #25 on: 2014-10-27 01:12:30 »
your versions neck looks like 1 giant pixel though lol

I can fix that. :P

I prefer the filtering on because it hides the pixelated look.

The thing is, I want accurate textures faithful to the original artist's intentions, like the Resident Evil 4 project.
When HD texture developers begin doing things that begin changing the original look too much, it turns me off.

Squall's neck in the original is also very one pixelly. But Magochocobo's neck looks WAY too tense and muscular. It looks too flexed and unrealistic.

Here's my current progress. If anyone has suggestions, let me know.

Now just imagine this, but for all characters, world map and battle scenes. It'd look amazing.
« Last Edit: 2014-10-27 03:20:05 by Devina »

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #26 on: 2014-10-27 09:29:29 »
Along with the voiceover project... dreams are being fulfilled!!! :D

Suggestion: Is it possible to open the eye sockets a little bit? I'm referring to the second image. Compared to the original he looks kinda sleepy. In the original he looks more focused. Unless you captured him in a blinking moment.

In the meantime we need to give a lot of credit to Magochocobo for his love and devotion to create those awesome textures that nobody else has had so far!! Well done to both of you guys! You rock and never cease to amaze me!

I wish we will be able to achieve textures like that in the future and a complete overhaul in another engine.

« Last Edit: 2014-10-27 09:32:06 by LeonhartGR »

Yagami Light

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2014-10-27 11:10:39 »

The thing is, I want accurate textures faithful to the original artist's intentions, like the Resident Evil 4 project.
When HD texture developers begin doing things that begin changing the original look too much, it turns me off.

Squall's neck in the original is also very one pixelly. But Magochocobo's neck looks WAY too tense and muscular. It looks too flexed and unrealistic.

[/img]

[/img]

Now just imagine this, but for all characters, world map and battle scenes. It'd look amazing.

Squall looks possessed in the first picture, prefer chocos eyes to yours, I agree with trying to keep to the original but sometimes keeping it too similar makes them look weird especially when it comes to very outdated models. Anyway got first selphie model and zells head working, zells body wont load maybe it needs more hash files?

« Last Edit: 2014-10-27 13:37:50 by Yagami Light »

olearyf2525

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2014-10-27 12:32:54 »

Can't wait for these texture replacements to be fully done/working. Awesome job guys!

Devina

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2014-10-27 13:43:08 »
Small Squall update (ignore the one in the middle, the one on the right is the most recent)

http://oi62.tinypic.com/1zpiiw8.jpg

And here is Magochocobo's for comparison:

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/295/c/7/2014_10_22_00006_by_shunsquall-d83s412.jpg

Upon comparison, you can see how my style deviates. :P

Shunsq

• 20 years to mod a game, that's insanely long
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2014-10-27 23:09:26 »
Nice job Devina and Yagami ;D !
It doesn't matter whose texture is the closest to the original. There will possibly be as many textures as there are artists. Anyway ,to say something constructive,  Magochobo's eyes are too "anime-ish"  whereas nose and lips are too much contrasted. Devina's sqhead has strange frown eyebrows and strict eyestare. For the sql texture I deformed mago's texture to fit with lowpoly squall. The eyes are too little, they need to be opened up a bit.

Yagami: i didn't put all the hashcodes for selphie and zell. It was just for a test. I will post all the hashcodes within this week.
« Last Edit: 2014-10-27 23:11:49 by Shunsq »

Devina

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2014-10-28 05:08:40 »
Looking forward to it.

Btw, I think there may be more models to deal with. I entered a house in Balamb and the textures don't work.
Battle models would look great too.

Yagami Light

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2014-10-28 08:33:00 »
magechoco already made squall textures for the field version in his texture thread, I fixed the hair and really like the result, apparently he did the field textures for sephie and quistis as well but I can't find them.

Devina

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2014-10-28 09:25:17 »
magechoco already made squall textures for the field version in his texture thread, I fixed the hair and really like the result, apparently he did the field textures for sephie and quistis as well but I can't find them.

I know, I mean go into Balamb and enter the first house on the right and you'll see that the textures don't load.

Yagami Light

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2014-10-28 09:36:20 »
I know, I mean go into Balamb and enter the first house on the right and you'll see that the textures don't load.

Loads fine for me, did you update the hash files Shunsq posted on Sunday

LeonhartGR

• View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #35 on: 2014-10-28 11:01:21 »

Eyebrows and eyes look a bit weird.... it might be the distance between them... something doesn't match quite well. I'm not sure what exactly.

Faendra

• French guy, sorry if my english is no good ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2014-10-28 12:00:01 »
Eyebrows and eyes look a bit weird.... it might be the distance between them... something doesn't match quite well. I'm not sure what exactly.
The distance between them, to cloose from each other

Devina

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2014-10-28 13:08:13 »
Loads fine for me, did you update the hash files Shunsq posted on Sunday

This worked, thanks!

I guess we still need the hash files for Squall's torso and face during battles.

Fischkopf

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2014-10-28 17:00:15 »
This looks awesome, great to finally see some actual FF8 modding going on.

I guess the era of FF8 modding has begun just NOW.  :-D

Mcindus

• Artist, Modder, Musician.
    • View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
« Reply #39 on: 2014-10-29 22:08:53 »
This makes me so happy!

Hey Shunsq - when you finish with all of the hashing for the characters it should be easy to get Omzy to update Tonberry so we can make this mod as easy to use as possible!

Sorry I've been so MIA - life happens and when it rains, it pours.  I'm still working on SeeD Reborn Translations and compiling all of the world map textures for hashing, but it's taking a long time since I barely have any free time.  This economy sucks for artists/musicians. ;)  As soon as I get more time, I will be updating a -lot-.  I even have an update to Tripod that's sitting on my proverbial shelf.

LeonhartGR

• View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #40 on: 2014-10-29 22:38:53 »
This economy sucks...

...in general! Indeed!

trrz

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2014-10-30 11:41:20 »
Can someone share their texture folders for all characters?

I can only see squall avalable for download

Devina

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2014-10-30 12:52:34 »
Wait a little longer.

Is there anyone willing to work helping remastering the textures, or is it just me?
If so, I can give you my Squall textures so far. I'd love a go at those Selphie textures.

You can actually edit them in realtime in-game, by the way. Just open the menu and exit and the textures refresh.
« Last Edit: 2014-10-30 12:59:52 by Devina »

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #43 on: 2014-10-30 12:57:06 »
Can someone share their texture folders for all characters?

I can only see squall avalable for download

The downloads are at the first link of the OP.

Wait a little longer.

Is there anyone willing to work helping remastering the textures, or is it just me?
If so, I can give you my Squall textures so far.

You can actually edit them in realtime in-game, by the way. Just open the menu and exit and the textures refresh.

What kind of work is needed?

Devina

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2014-10-30 13:14:50 »
What kind of work is needed?

Making the textures look as best as possible, and as close to a perfect FF8 remaster.

Fixing graphical glitches and seam correction.

Basically, anyone with texture expertise and knows a lot about the visual design of FF8.

http://i.imgur.com/uBH4u1S.png

For example, look at Selphie's necklace and how her neck texture is cutting it off.

« Last Edit: 2014-10-30 13:20:38 by Devina »

Yagami Light

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2014-10-30 13:54:56 »
« Last Edit: 2014-10-30 14:04:05 by Yagami Light »

Devina

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2014-10-30 14:16:17 »

Shunsq

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2014-10-30 17:50:23 »
2014-10-30:Update on first post for Squall/Zell/Selphie textures
Devina and Yagami,
Thank you for repainting Mago's textures to match the field models. I will update first post with your textures. In the meantime Magochocobo is repainting his own field texture. I will also update the hashlist.
« Last Edit: 2014-10-30 18:20:27 by Shunsq »

Crestian

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2014-10-30 18:57:06 »
Hello All,
 Nice work on the breakthrough with the textures. I have been working on Weapon reskins for the FF8 crew.
These are upscailed/upressed/redesigned(slightly) textures. I have Squall, Rinoa, and Zell Done-ish and working on Quistis and Irvine.

http://imageshack.com/a/img673/6601/3em7IU.png

http://imageshack.com/a/img661/9943/WxZMCk.png

http://imageshack.com/a/img673/1278/wKrMcA.png

Purpose: Maybe you guys can take what I have done and see if you can get them in game.
Ill include the textures for Squall/Rinoa/Zell Weapons as well as my Maya files for viewing.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a0m9ilwddl1kp1l/FF8%20textures1.zip?dl=0

Shunsq

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2014-10-30 19:20:03 »
Thank you Crestian but i don't work on the weapons right now. Maybe on a later mod.