Author Topic: Do you think it's pointless?  (Read 4381 times)

Landarma

• View Profile
Do you think it's pointless?
« on: 2023-01-14 23:00:17 »
..that installing disc version and steam version in the same computer?  I once thought of installing TES4:Oblivion disc version and digital versions(steam, GOG...) in the same computer, but looks like it's pointless especially if you want separate saves, mod lists and so on.  For FF7, I want to see if applying mods would work with steam version(I'm having trouble with mods and now end of my wits).

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
Re: Do you think it's pointless?
« Reply #1 on: 2023-01-14 23:25:10 »
Someone feel free to correct me if I’m wrong, but they would both use the same windows registry entries. I actually have two sets of exe files (disc based) that are modified to look at different registry keys. One for modding and one for vanilla. I’d say install the disc version and make a copy of the exe and modify it to look at a different location. Then you can have the steam version separate from the disc version.

Landarma

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2023-01-14 23:49:40 »
Sharing registry, that's what I'm afraid for.

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #3 on: 2023-01-15 14:08:14 »
There is really no reason to have the steam version if you already have the disc version. If you want to have a modded and vanilla copy on your computer it not to hard todo since . Either way you need to have ffnx installed. All my mods are installed as "direct" mods so you only have to change the mode in the config to get back to vanilla. Im guessing you would want to use something like 7thHeaven and im not mistaken you can just toggle mods on and off before running with that tool.

Landarma

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2023-01-15 19:57:46 »
There is really no reason to have the steam version if you already have the disc version. If you want to have a modded and vanilla copy on your computer it not to hard todo since . Either way you need to have ffnx installed. All my mods are installed as "direct" mods so you only have to change the mode in the config to get back to vanilla. Im guessing you would want to use something like 7thHeaven and im not mistaken you can just toggle mods on and off before running with that tool.
My problem: https://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=21330.0

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #5 on: 2023-01-20 18:44:22 »
Ahh see i don't use 7th heaven and use direct mode for most of the mods .. that might work for you depending on what your trying to change

archesjuices

• View Profile
    • basket random
« Reply #6 on: 2024-03-21 07:17:28 »
My problem: https://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=21330.0
You can try use direct mode for all of the mods. I think it works fine.

Judafkunding43

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 18:05:23 »
Feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken, but both versions would utilize the same Windows registry entries. Currently, I have two sets of executable files (from discs) that have been altered to reference distinct registry keys—one for modding and one for the vanilla version. My suggestion would be to install the disc version and duplicate the executable file, adjusting it to reference a different directory. This way, you can keep the Steam version separate from the disc version.