Final Fantasy 7 > Releases

[FF7PC] Battle model > Field model Conversion FINALLY!! (2006-04-30)

<< < (2/147) > >>

L. Spiro:
The vertices on the battle models are of course going to be too dark.

During battles, there is no lighting; all the lighting you see is painted onto the models.

The vertices are stored in groups and each group is like a flag (each group contains a certain “type” of polygons) and the battle models use a group type that causes the Final Fantasy® VII rendering engine to turn off lighting when rendering the vertices in the group being rendered.

--- Quote ---Also it is because the lighting in the battle is nearly fixed, built right in with in the camera angel and the model itself. What I mean by this is in the battle the camera is basically in one spot so the models are colored according to what you are see from the camera. So the back of the models are a lot darker than the front. This is also why the amount of light changes when you turning the field using a battle model. Both the engine and the coloring contribute to the models being darker. Now these thing are only my bland and very vague assumptions so defiantly don’t take my word for it.
--- End quote ---

Well now you know.  No actual lighting in the battle.

So, why does it change lighting drastically when your new models face a new direction?
As I recall, battle models do not have normals.
When the game engine then tries to pass lighting over them, it will find no normals in vertex information, so it has no choice but to use a default normal of 0, 0, 0.
All vertices end up with this normal for rendering purposes and this will cause all vertices to change shading/lighting depths all at once as they rotate.

L. Spiro

ice_cold513:
Hummm i feel sorry for Reunion. Doing all this hard work and only getting 5 posts. I was thinking is was going to get 2 to 3 pages.
But anyway i just want to know have you just done the good guys/girls.
Have you got any pics of the the bad guys/girls.
I still think itis a

:P  :P GOOD JOB  8)  8)

rmco2003:
that looks amazing, this would be really effective if there was a way to scale down these new models to the sizes of the original field models, then there would be no size problems or anything. Is this possible?

Zack:
looks awesome especially if the lighting could be fixed

Zophixan:
looks great!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version