Author Topic: save anywhere patch?  (Read 3110 times)

VonZippa

• View Profile
save anywhere patch?
« on: 2006-04-06 03:15:13 »
I imagine it would be a somewhat trivial thing to do, if you knew where to make the change.  The fact that you can save anywhere in the northern cave (by using the save crystal) leads me to believe that in terms of the capability of the game itself, you can save anywhere and the game just records your coordinates on whatever map you happen to be on.  The only thing that keeps you from being able to save wherever you want is that the save option is disabled if you aren't on a save "spot."  Wouldn't it be a trivial matter to make the save option be enabled at all times, so you could save pretty much anywhere?

dziugo

• View Profile
    • A new copy of FF7 thanks to Salk. Pack (zip/rar/etc) your saved game before sending it to me.
save anywhere patch?
« Reply #1 on: 2006-04-06 07:39:34 »
It's ok to save if there are no field scripts in that location (there are such places? :P), if the scripts has been executed and you'll never be given an opportunity to run them again, or when script's triggering and further execution is based on some value(s) stored in a save-game.

It's not ok to save in a middle of a script, because then there are (usually) some temporary variables used, which are not saved.

So... You're right. It's trivial to do, as the game just remembers the party's position when saving (along with hundreds of other vars), but it will run you into trouble (sooner or later).

Oh, and I think that there is some save-anywhere mod already (IIRC, ff7w has it).

dziugo

Vanit

• View Profile
    • http://vanitstudios.burn.at
save anywhere patch?
« Reply #2 on: 2006-04-09 00:14:36 »
Towards the end of the game you get a single item that will let you spawn a save point when you use it. Through a trainer you could simply give yourself 99 of that item and you can make as many save points as you like.

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
save anywhere patch?
« Reply #3 on: 2006-04-09 08:46:48 »
Vanit: the save crystal does not work outside of the northern cave.

dziugo

• View Profile
    • A new copy of FF7 thanks to Salk. Pack (zip/rar/etc) your saved game before sending it to me.
save anywhere patch?
« Reply #4 on: 2006-04-09 10:59:04 »
Quote from: Vanit
Through a trainer you could simply give yourself 99 of that item and you can make as many save points as you like.
Each additional use of save-crystal will destroy the previously created save-point(s).

dziugo