Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v2.0.99994)  (Read 4966634 times)

SunnyD

• View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v1.4)
« Reply #3675 on: 2016-05-27 21:39:20 »
Keter is a pain because of the fight before it; there's a great potential there for a tense showdown because of that, but at the same time a huge risk for turning the player away if they lose. Tuning it is also difficult because I've no idea what the player could be going in with by that point; might be maxed/ideal, might be somewhere midway. The Jenova Synthesis fight maybe needs adjusted to act as a better 'check' so undergeared parties don't end up wasting their time down there if I beef up Safer.

Ozma would be nice and easy because it's just a ball. I did have a plan way back to make dark summon fights like in FFX but rigging up the models to a battle model proved too tricky for me in the end. The text thing has been an issue for a while now; I'm not sure what caused it, but I likely can't fix it without starting over with a fresh kernel.

Makes sense about Keter. Pinnacle was a difficult battle so against Keter I was extra careful in case I died from Supernova or something. Still, the battle didn't ruin the mod at all in any way.

Ah, guess that would be difficulty. Especially for some summons having body types that make it harder to rig to something pre-existing. I look forward to future updates.

Tavarcio

• View Profile
« Reply #3676 on: 2016-05-28 11:52:48 »
Ok the goldberries fight is really starting to get on my nerves.
it takes forever between turns
I'm not sure why soft or dispel doesnt seem to cure petrify, even when someone turns to stone and I use soft
why sometimes a party member becomes large
why I can't use cure
why do the goldberries sometimes gain invincibility
This is the first time I've felt I'm fighting a kinda of a cheap enemy, I don't know, maybe I suck but its not really that intuitive, I can't really figure out what the hell is happening with characters growing in size and soft not working. Also, where is the weapon crafting guy? In the "where is the thing" file says he's near Gongaga but I can't seem to find him.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3677 on: 2016-05-28 13:30:18 »
The weapon crafter is in a small house near Gongaga on the World Map: http://guidesarchive.ign.com/guides/2301/images/seller.jpg

For the Goldberries, they inflict Slow-Numb + Resist which means you need to Dispel the Resist off first then use a Soft; but the attack also ignores status-defence so if you go in with protection against petrify/resist those statuses can become 'locked' onto the character when they're forced on so avoid equipping Jem Rings, etc.

Chef's Curse prevents the use of Restorative at the start of the battle, but you can get around it either by using a different element to heal (i.e absorb fire, use fire magic to heal the party) or by entering the battle with some party members KO'd and then reviving them (I think someone mentioned that this works).

When a Goldberry moves right or left, they gain Reflect or Peerless respectively. When they move forward, either effect will be removed from them (you can also remove it using Debarrier but this has a chance to trigger a Golden Grudge counter attack). And about Golden Grudge, there's 5 different types; #1 inflicts damage equal to the number of escapes the party has made + inflicts Poison, Confusion, Mini, Dual, and Death Sentence. #2 inflicts 4/32 of your current HP as damage and applies Reflect. #3 does nothing, except it makes the party member grow in size as little. #4 deals damage equal to 1/2 of the target's MaxHP. And #5 deals damage equal to 3/4 of the target's current HP.

Fastest way to beat them is with a powerful Magic nuke combined with Quadra Magic, like Bahamut ZERO though you might need to open up with Debarrier+All first to make sure it hits all of them. They only have 52,000 HP each so if you can get this combo off and survive the wave of counter-attacks then you'll be in a good position to wrap up the fight.

Tavarcio

• View Profile
« Reply #3678 on: 2016-05-28 13:53:11 »
Ok I'll try that, thanks. Other thing, it seems that I can't regain MP in the kaktuar fight, is that supposed to happen? Is it like a handicap? Also, when I talk to the guy inside that house, he doesn't say anything about crafting weapons, he just says he's a master blacksmith or whatever, do I need to go down the crater until Cid calls me?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3679 on: 2016-05-28 15:44:36 »
Yeah, head down into the crater first. I'll remove as many of these crater checks as I can for the next patch; they cause too much hassle.

Kaktuar has an attack called Spirit Needles which sets your current MP to be your MaxMP  :-D

badeco

• View Profile
« Reply #3680 on: 2016-05-28 17:35:19 »
Hi sega , questions: LuvLuv G have  only  in Dark cave? i want for Venus Gospel; and enemy skill Stasis Lock is  in cd 3?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3681 on: 2016-05-28 18:56:37 »
Yes to both.

Schwahn

• View Profile
« Reply #3682 on: 2016-05-28 20:00:49 »
Anyone have any advice on how to beat Hojo on the Sister Ray?

I just spent 35 minutes smashing my face against him just to lose (FeelsbadMan)

His second form seems to have a TON of life and is a straight up boring fight after you kill the right arm (which is the only REAL damage)

His 3rd form can be extremely frustrating. His Combo can kill a character in the back row WITH Barrier. Then once he hits whatever life % he starts using Cellular Barrier and Cellular MBarrier. Which can't be dispelled or debarriered. But don't really seem to have any rhyme or reason on which one he prefers. I hit him with 10 spells before he switched to MBarrier but 2 attacks and he went right back to Barrier(FeelsBadMan).

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3683 on: 2016-05-28 20:22:59 »
There's an adjustment in the works to make the 2nd phase shorter + more varied when a limb is destroyed. In the meantime, you can speed things up by using Holy/Earth elemental attacks on Hojo's second form and Holy/Wind element on the 3rd. You can get Holy onto a weapon by combining Elemental with Restore/Revive and a few others.

The first thing to do with the 3rd form is to cripple that speed of his with Slow. To handle Combo, it'd be worth having a dedicated tank with Cover + Counter Attack to soak up most of the hits; Barret or Cait Sith should be good choices for this, as Barret will be gaining defence as he soaks up hits while Cait Sith can outright dodge Combo hits if his Luck stat is nice and high. Cid can also do it, if he's been built for Vitality + Luck. I think you also get Shield Materia from beating Diamond Weapon; if you've got that spell available (Shield needs to be leveled up though), then you can use it to completely negate Combo hits altogether.

For magic, I think Comet might be the best bet as there aren't any high-power Holy/Wind spells available just yet (Contain drops from Hojo, and Planet is gotten from a Disc 3 boss). Alexander should hit for plenty of damage though. He has a chance to swap Guards whenever he's hit so if you're leaning heavier on physical attacks and he uses Cell Guard, you can make him swap back using low-MP spells if you want to keep that back for healing.

deha0002

• View Profile
« Reply #3684 on: 2016-05-28 20:43:04 »
Hmm i am trying to donate again but this time it doesnt work? Just says the amount is "protected" and waiting confirmation. Any changes on your part Sega?

Tavarcio

• View Profile
« Reply #3685 on: 2016-05-28 23:45:58 »
So I'm at the part where the party splits up, now is where I can go up to get the items I need?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3686 on: 2016-05-29 06:23:46 »
Hmm i am trying to donate again but this time it doesnt work? Just says the amount is "protected" and waiting confirmation. Any changes on your part Sega?

None that I'm aware of; I just checked and there's a donation that's come through from you on the 27th (much obliged for that, by the way). Maybe it stops you from you making too many consecutive payments to the same person for security.

So I'm at the part where the party splits up, now is where I can go up to get the items I need?

No, it's right at the bottom when the party reunites. This is when the Game Moment variable gets set to 1998, which I thought would be a good catch-all trigger for new content at the time when I first made NT.

deha0002

• View Profile
« Reply #3687 on: 2016-05-29 06:49:16 »
None that I'm aware of; I just checked and there's a donation that's come through from you on the 27th (much obliged for that, by the way). Maybe it stops you from you making too many consecutive payments to the same person for security.

Keep up the good work more are to come!!!
« Last Edit: 2016-05-29 07:35:11 by deha0002 »

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #3688 on: 2016-05-30 00:32:41 »
I think you also get Shield Materia from beating Diamond Weapon; if you've got that spell available (Shield needs to be leveled up though), then you can use it to completely negate Combo hits altogether.

Umm...for the record, Shield dropped as a Mastered 3-star materia for me, like Full Cure.  I assumed this was to prevent me from getting more than 1 Master Magic through materia blending, but were these supposed to work differently?

And just to be clear, materia blending is supposed to still be available right now, just not in the future when you decide what to do with the huge Materia SC?  I only ask because I was able to do it with Magic and Command materias, and I assume Summon as well, but I think your response led me to believe you didn't think blending was available with the current fixes.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3689 on: 2016-05-30 02:42:15 »
I think I disabled materia blending; it wasn't supposed to be available before but I forgot to change the field script or something.

They're supposed to drop as 1-star, unless I had a mad-cap idea at the time to make them unique. I'll get it sorted out.

Schwahn

• View Profile
« Reply #3690 on: 2016-05-30 06:25:53 »
Hey Sega,

Did you ever consider starting s subreddit or anything for the mod?

It would seem a bit easier to organize/track than a 150 page thread.

soulcrom

• View Profile
The Manual Link is broken:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/dzbq6cqq2c27ard/FF7+NT+Manual.doc

And also the database of the materia locations or something that you provided in your yt channel is also broken.

Pardon me if a new link was provided at this replies, but with 149 its hard to check it.

The mod is awesome, I was trying to find everything on my own, but im in late game and I cant find KOTR materia.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3692 on: 2016-05-30 14:43:01 »
Hey Sega,

Did you ever consider starting s subreddit or anything for the mod?

It would seem a bit easier to organize/track than a 150 page thread.

This is true, yes. I'll look into some options so I can collect bug reports/feedback together and people can keep track of what's what.

The Manual Link is broken:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/dzbq6cqq2c27ard/FF7+NT+Manual.doc

And also the database of the materia locations or something that you provided in your yt channel is also broken.

Pardon me if a new link was provided at this replies, but with 149 its hard to check it.

The mod is awesome, I was trying to find everything on my own, but im in late game and I cant find KOTR materia.

Ah right, those are old things; everything now comes with the Main Installer link (there should be a documentation folder inside it). I'll update the old links listed on the YT vids.

soulcrom

• View Profile
« Reply #3693 on: 2016-05-30 18:51:35 »
Ah right, those are old things; everything now comes with the Main Installer link (there should be a documentation folder inside it). I'll update the old links listed on the YT vids.

Thank very much for the fast reply, you sure won a happy donation when my next paycheck arrives ;)

I found the documentation: "FF7 NT - Changelog / Rank Up - Possible Character Stats / Readme / where is the thing"

But in any of it there is describing the KOTR summon materia, I got only "Knights of Round: Base 30x13, 250MP - 75% base accuracy per hit" in the Changelog .txt file.

Sorry if it is my fault, but I can't find it. I got surprised that the KOTR was not in its cave like the other cave materias. I should expect this as having the KOTR summon in early 2nd disc would broke the balance that you so hard tried to achieve, but was a pain having to do the chocobo even with the no race guide.

But i will accept, as only if I can find where and or how to obtain that summon as I cant obtain the omnislash limit early 1st disc and 2nd x']

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3694 on: 2016-05-30 18:57:28 »
KOTR is supposed to be in the cave, just like the original game. If it wasn't there then something has gone wrong. Let me check the field script and see how this might have happened.

Edit: Field script seems OK, nothing that would disable the variable check or otherwise interfere with it. When you first entered the cave, was there a red glowing triangle like this one inside?: http://www.angelfire.com/freak/finalfantasy777/KOTRcavern.jpg

If there was no red triangle when you first went in, then it means the variable has been flipped elsewhere. If there was one, and you examined this and got nothing, then it might be due to a rare glitch that can occur where examining the Materia in one of the caves (except for the purple cave which has a different set up for the scripts) can cause the script to be skipped and no Materia given.

I should warn you now as well that KOTR is protected by a boss fight that will be difficult to win on Disc 2. All the Materia caves should have a boss fight protecting them as well; did you encounter those, or did the game let you pick up the Materia without any fight triggering? Just to make sure everything's patched correctly.
« Last Edit: 2016-05-30 19:11:00 by Sega Chief »

soulcrom

• View Profile
« Reply #3695 on: 2016-05-30 20:53:45 »
KOTR is supposed to be in the cave, just like the original game. If it wasn't there then something has gone wrong. Let me check the field script and see how this might have happened.

Edit: Field script seems OK, nothing that would disable the variable check or otherwise interfere with it. When you first entered the cave, was there a red glowing triangle like this one inside?: http://www.angelfire.com/freak/finalfantasy777/KOTRcavern.jpg

If there was no red triangle when you first went in, then it means the variable has been flipped elsewhere. If there was one, and you examined this and got nothing, then it might be due to a rare glitch that can occur where examining the Materia in one of the caves (except for the purple cave which has a different set up for the scripts) can cause the script to be skipped and no Materia given.

I should warn you now as well that KOTR is protected by a boss fight that will be difficult to win on Disc 2. All the Materia caves should have a boss fight protecting them as well; did you encounter those, or did the game let you pick up the Materia without any fight triggering? Just to make sure everything's patched correctly.

Thank you once more! The object was there at the far top of the glowing white/redish light. I hited confirm button crazy but i didnt found it later. Now I wandered around more and the scripted message showed up, the materia was to me given and the fight started wonderfuly.

I uploaded a screenshot from the light covering the object, in my personal website:

(I could not see your image/link, it keeps redirecting to http://www.angelfire.lycos.com/doc/images/rloadblock.jpg, and I dont remember wich was the object like when I played ffvii back then) , but It may be probably be because of all the mods I am using from 7th Heaven, the light must be messed up or the object is missing texture or not visible, yet being able to trigger the event.

Sorry the trouble once more, im loving this mod! It bugs me so much not being able to broke the game using the KOTR now and omnislash, but its so much more enjoyable playing with the new balance, otherwise I would be pouding every enemy and that is no fun at all like quick attacks in FFX.

Its a very well deserved of praise your work man, keep it up! Greetings from Portugal, Lisbon!  :)

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3696 on: 2016-05-31 06:20:41 »
So it was that glitch. The image I tried to post was of the same field screen you've posted; I guess the website it came from blocked it.

Nikkolas

• View Profile
« Reply #3697 on: 2016-06-04 03:29:53 »
Hey SC, I'm finally ready to revisit the NT Mod. As I noted several pages ago now, it seems to be extensively different from when I played it.  It makes starting the whole thing all over again well worth it.

However, looking over your list of fixes while I was downloading everything, I'm curious about one particular addition. What are "Innates" for characters? From the description it doesn't sound like Chrono Cross Elements.

edit:
Huh, I thought the Locked difficulty setting was something reserved for once you beat the mod once. I guess not? I am glad I held onto my old save files in any case. Also glad they work on the Steam version.

EDIT 2:

Oh, Innates are explained right there when the character joins. That's very considerate. AAn intriguing mechanic. I was thinking of using Barret as a tank like I did in Hardcore Mod but now I don't know!
« Last Edit: 2016-06-04 07:45:40 by Nikkolas »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #3698 on: 2016-06-04 10:45:27 »
Hey SC, I'm finally ready to revisit the NT Mod. As I noted several pages ago now, it seems to be extensively different from when I played it.  It makes starting the whole thing all over again well worth it.

However, looking over your list of fixes while I was downloading everything, I'm curious about one particular addition. What are "Innates" for characters? From the description it doesn't sound like Chrono Cross Elements.

edit:
Huh, I thought the Locked difficulty setting was something reserved for once you beat the mod once. I guess not? I am glad I held onto my old save files in any case. Also glad they work on the Steam version.

EDIT 2:

Oh, Innates are explained right there when the character joins. That's very considerate. AAn intriguing mechanic. I was thinking of using Barret as a tank like I did in Hardcore Mod but now I don't know!

Welcome back, Nik. Innates are abilities that help give a character something unique to offer a fight as opposed to just equipment and stats. As for the locked difficulty, that's for a brand new overhauled Arrange.

Dahaka

• View Profile
« Reply #3699 on: 2016-06-05 16:41:52 »
I've started another run through FF VII, this time with the new threat mod, and so far it has been nothing short of amazing.

But I have a question: are there many new bosses that are easy to miss? I just fought Captain Chocobo (or whatever was his name) right after jumping off the train and seeing how this one was easy to miss, I want to know whether there are more bosses/special enemies like that that may be missable. I don't what to miss anything!