Author Topic: [FF7PC] Remako HD Graphics Mod (AI enhanced field backgrounds) - [cancelled]  (Read 126045 times)

decency_breakin3

• View Profile
He just updated and said the mod is infact NOT dead but its going to be several months before any activity can be expected. Just grab Satsuki and get with the program.

Leumas_6

• View Profile
Hi everyone! I need some help. When in 7th Heaven I click on Lunch game, I have this error:
https://ibb.co/TM7Fy6L

Clarret

• View Profile
@CaptRobau: did you know that "Final Fantasy VII Original DVD High Quality CG Collection" and "Square 5.1ch Movie Collection" have been uploaded to the Internet Archive?

https://twitter.com/Carnivol/status/1251290281607135235?s=19

https://archive.org/details/DVDZ-9037

https://archive.org/details/SQSS-0001

These are official, DVD-format versions of the cutscenes, so maybe they can be used as the basis for a new upscale project.

Gvaz

• View Profile
I'm using this with the improved models with 7th Heaven 2.0.3.406, and it looks much better.

I have Post processing off because the default bloom shader looks HORRIBLE. I don't know which one to pick honestly so I just have it off.

CaptRobau

• View Profile
Sorry for the long absence. I haven't been active here at all, and if you haven't checked my own site out as well and have been wondering why there's still no new update for Remako itself, then read this blog post first:
https://captrobau.blogspot.com/2020/04/a-sad-update-with-happy-ending.html

Other projects, as well as terrible RL events, have taken up my time in the past year resulting in less than desirable attention to this mod. Things are going better now, so I'm starting to get back into it:

I updated the install guide and FAQ to incorporate 7th Heaven 2.0. Both are much shorter now. Hopefully, this will help even more people to play the mod.

On my site, I told you what to expect from the next Remako update. That's still the same:
  • Compatibility with Reunion R06c
  • Easier install procedure (improved 7th Heaven 2.0 IROs, with more options)
  • HD magic textures
  • HD user interface (menu, HUD, minigames, credits, etc.)
  • Bug fixes
As I explained then, I also wanted to make development more transparent. So I plan to do the following:
  • weekly updates regarding the progress (on my site, at the very least)
  • a beta before release, so more than one people can scour the mod for bugs
I understand that a lot of people have jumped ship to Satsuki's mod. And that's fine. But some still like my mod, so for them, I want to finish this thing proper. Hopefully, the new approach will help this mod get to a completely bug-free release in a short time.

CaptRobau

• View Profile
I have been working on the next update for my mod Remako. Remako 2.0 will see a lot of new features compared to 1.0. One of them is HD magic textures, upscaled 4 times with the use of AI upscaling.

Here is a sneak peek of the new magic textures in action.

https://youtu.be/i-j0s3NWIX0

I plan to regularly (weekly) post a quick video update like this, showing off progress on version 2.0 of Remako Mod. So subscribe to my channel if you want to see more videos like this.

orichalcon

• It's a sin that somehow
  • Light is changing to shadow
    • View Profile
    • The Reunion
nice to see you back at it

fyi if you havent fixed em yet, almost all of the bugs posted and fixed in satsuki's thread are also present in remako 1.0

you can browse through yourself and quickly glean the info from months worth of beta testing ;)

CaptRobau

• View Profile
Thanks, I'll definitely look at that. No sense reinventing the wheel. What I would do without Satsuki and his great tools and work...

LordUrQuan

• Alpha testing your worst nightmares
  • LOAD "FF2J",8,1
    • View Profile
You need to take down your 7H v2 install instructions and replace them with a simple "They're included as part of the Qhimm v3 catalog."  EQ2Alyza did you the favor of adding Remako in the release day v3 catalog, and the instructions on your site are causing confusion for newbies.  When Remako v2 is done, you can ask Strife98 to give you a hand with the new XML options, then add it to MotR (which is also linked by default in 7H v2), and again bypass all the "download this, copy that, move those, refresh here...." steps.

CaptRobau

• View Profile
You need to take down your 7H v2 install instructions and replace them with a simple "They're included as part of the Qhimm v3 catalog."  EQ2Alyza did you the favor of adding Remako in the release day v3 catalog, and the instructions on your site are causing confusion for newbies.  When Remako v2 is done, you can ask Strife98 to give you a hand with the new XML options, then add it to MotR (which is also linked by default in 7H v2), and again bypass all the "download this, copy that, move those, refresh here...." steps.

Hi LordUrQuan,

I knew my pre-V2 install guide was causing confusion as that was hopefully outdated with V2, so I updated it on May 3rd. Has there been a lot of confusion from newbies about this updated install guide as well, in other parts of this community since that update? Questions died down on my blog/this post, since then, so I assumed I'd done good.

When I made that guide, I felt giving an option to not get it from the Qhimm v3 catalog made since due to 3 issues:
  • Due to heavy traffic, the catalog was so slow. Downloading my mod would take an afternoon, while doing it via my Moddb page was a question of half an hour
  • You had to download not just my mod, but the other options for the HD textures as well. This was mostly a problem, because the download speeds were already slow
  • I couldn't find the HD menu avatars from my mod in the v3 catalog, so it wasn't the complete Remako experience (minor point)

The second and third points aren't that important, but the first one was major at that point. I hope you understand. Have speeds become better since then, due to decreased demand/increased server speeds?

LordUrQuan

• Alpha testing your worst nightmares
  • LOAD "FF2J",8,1
    • View Profile
Installation - Yes, people are still trying (and failing) to follow the directions on your blog, then coming to the Discord asking for help.  Not as many as during original release, but they still come in occasionally.

Traffic - Things are much better now, and during the initial release we also had torrent swarms going though many did not avail themselves to this.  One person in particular, between his main server and torrent seeds, was pushing over 2Gb/sec for a while.  Of course, a torrent is only as good as its peers, and (as is typical) a LOT of people would drop off after completion rather than stick around to help seed.  I've since taken the tracker down because the built-in methods were keeping up (I'd only see a leech every day or two), and there's a very annoying IP announcement bug that was preventing some folks (like me!) from seeding at all, but it's on my list of things to fix once work settles down (I'm with a cloud/MSaaS provider, so as you can imagine I'm kinda swamped)

Avatars - Not like Alyza to miss something, but after FF7R was delayed, we wanted to get 7Hv2 out on what would have been release day to help keep the hype train rolling, and there was a LOT of last-minute scrambling to hit that date.  Send a PM, it could be as simple as a missing option in the existing XML that can be fixed for Catalog 3.1.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
I'll add the Avatars in 3.1. I didn't know they existed.

CaptRobau

• View Profile
Installation - Yes, people are still trying (and failing) to follow the directions on your blog, then coming to the Discord asking for help.  Not as many as during original release, but they still come in occasionally.

Traffic - Things are much better now, and during the initial release we also had torrent swarms going though many did not avail themselves to this.  One person in particular, between his main server and torrent seeds, was pushing over 2Gb/sec for a while.  Of course, a torrent is only as good as its peers, and (as is typical) a LOT of people would drop off after completion rather than stick around to help seed.  I've since taken the tracker down because the built-in methods were keeping up (I'd only see a leech every day or two), and there's a very annoying IP announcement bug that was preventing some folks (like me!) from seeding at all, but it's on my list of things to fix once work settles down (I'm with a cloud/MSaaS provider, so as you can imagine I'm kinda swamped)

Avatars - Not like Alyza to miss something, but after FF7R was delayed, we wanted to get 7Hv2 out on what would have been release day to help keep the hype train rolling, and there was a LOT of last-minute scrambling to hit that date.  Send a PM, it could be as simple as a missing option in the existing XML that can be fixed for Catalog 3.1.

Thank you for the writeup. I understand now the situation better now. I'll redo my pages to direct them to use the catalog instead. Don't have time today or tomorrow, but maybe Friday or something.

EDIT: install pages are now updated. Hope you get less people on the discord now.

I'll add the Avatars in 3.1. I didn't know they existed.

Thank you!
« Last Edit: 2020-06-16 22:22:46 by CaptRobau »

unab0mb

• 7th Heaven Crew
    • View Profile
    • 7th Heaven Web Site
I haven't been tracking the conversation here, but did see the last few posts. One very big obvious oversight not mentioned regarding the traffic is that the catalogs in 7H are designed so that you control the download links. If you want a main mirror and 5 backup ones, you can. If you want to list your mod in the catalog only but require 7H to open a web browser to go to your site for the download (instead of a direct download within 7H) you can. Mods listed in the catalog can be hosted anywhere, not just on the 7thheaven.rocks server (which gets pounded pretty hard from time to time as mentioned).

CaptRobau

• View Profile
That's good to know!

CaptRobau

• View Profile
Hi everyone,

Help me out and answer some questions about what you want to see in Remako 2.0. You can find the survey here:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1j2fej80gJQREBDsHuMM3WbffXU5c6jFdcd2KKgmdfGo

It will only take a couple of minutes. Thank you so very much for filling it out!

The current plan for the 2.0 update for Remako HD Graphics Mod for Final Fantasy VII, was conceived in early 2020. Then since April, there have been a lot of new developments in the world of FF7 modding. FF7 became much easier to install mods for (7th Heaven), new graphical drivers (FFNx) add new possibilities and major mods were updated (Reunion).

I want the mod to be as good as it can be, but at the same time, I don't want to postpone the mod more than needed. So for Remako 2.0 I want to focus on the features to matter to you, the players of Remako. That way I won't spend time on features nobody wants and make sure the popular features get the attention they need.

These are the features by the way, that are going to be in Remako 2.0 either way:
*Bug fixes
*HD magic effects (AI upscaled)
*HD fonts, menus & icons (in the style of the original)
*HD minigame textures & user interfaces (in the style of the original)
*HD credits backgrounds and fonts (in the style of the original)
*Full 7th Heaven 2.0 compatibility (mod manager)

The questions below are about features that might not be interesting to everyone. So I wanted to poll you on how you feel about these features. If they're popular I'll try to include them in Remako 2.0. If they're not, they might still come in a later update, if there's at least some enthusiasm for them. But they won't be essential enough to be included in Remako 2.0.

So if you're interested in giving your opinion about Remako 2.0 features, please fill out the survey.

Thank you very much!

CaptRobau

• View Profile
In this video, I go over the results of the poll I did about Remako 2.0 features last week. Let's just stay I got a lot of responses!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsOqLmkdNa8&feature=youtu.be

In for 2.0:
  • Standalone version of mod

Out for 2.0:
  • Android support
  • Multi-language support

The other two features are in 2.0, if I have the time.

orichalcon

• It's a sin that somehow
  • Light is changing to shadow
    • View Profile
    • The Reunion
good choices, seems kinda silly to play the game on a tiny phone screen and worry about upscaled graphics

also, great idea to upscale the original font sheet, i'm excited for 2.0

Salk

• View Profile
Nice to see Remako being worked on again.

Looking forward to 2.0.

uxu888

• View Profile
very good then I'll test the graphics mod if it brings anything, thank you for your work

PoolHandMan

• View Profile
any tips to minimize slow down and stutters? it works but it takes forever to go from the black screen to the next screen (when you enter an area or finish a battle for example). the game stutters too in some areas when I move

Rumbah

• View Profile
If you use FFNx as your game driver you can use http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=19701.0 to convert the png files to dds ones that load much faster and use less memory.

PoolHandMan

• View Profile
If you use FFNx as your game driver you can use http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=19701.0 to convert the png files to dds ones that load much faster and use less memory.

thanks for the help. I was using an older version of 7th heaven. Now I've updated to the latest version and it's running great.

Guys this mod is amazing. You guys do a much better job than even square enix. much more care to the older games than they do

CaptRobau

• View Profile
@Poolhandman: Glad to hear that the 7th Heaven upgrade fixed it.

In general, here's another sneak peek for Remako 2.0:
https://youtu.be/SbBC4L9p2jI

Salk

• View Profile
Hello CaptRobau!

I just wanted to drop a simple message to say that I, and many others, are looking very much forward to Remako 2.0. Please know that we are many out there cheering up for the completion of your project and we do hope you can find motivation to continue improving on the already remarkable 2.0.

Thanks again and godspeed.