Author Topic: FF7 Crisis Core Upscale Project  (Read 125033 times)

Devina

• View Profile
Re: FF7 Crisis Core Upscale Project
« Reply #75 on: 2020-07-18 11:42:07 »
I am using latest, you can even find the texture here (which is why it's the middle version in the pic I posted):

https://github.com/eqprog/FF7CCUP/blob/master/textures/characters/zack%20-%201st%20Class/000000006020de14f1fad7db.png

Keep in mind, it has to be the 1st class version, high poly model.

If you made another version, can you take a screenshot of what you see in the game?
And maybe send me your texture so I can compare.

eqprog

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 2020-07-18 11:51:40 »
I see. I haven’t done the high poly version yet but you can take assets from the regular quality textures and paste them over as I’ve done much of the work for you already. Sorry I’m posting from my phone right now, it’s 6:30am here.
« Last Edit: 2020-07-18 18:00:55 by eqprog »

eqprog

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 2020-07-19 16:21:05 »
If you look, most of the elements in the high poly texture are the same as the regular one, just kind of shifted around in the file. Of course, the face is on a separate texture.  Point is, I did improve the straps but I know I’m not the best at creating art from scratch and I won’t be offended if you can make it better (and I think you can). If you look in “/edits/linked objects/“ You should find some files called zack_blue.psb and zack_black.psb in which you can see my previous work.

(Here you can see the improvements I made in the straps and metal pieces)

the tricky thing is that the game really has no modern lighting engine or texture shaders. Everything has to be simulated with the artwork but can still be seen from any angle. It also doesn’t help that even at 4x scale we still don’t have many pixels to work with.

What would you think about making the high poly model texture even higher resolution? More resolution = more detail.

Do you mind if I ask how you are applying the grainy texture? I don’t know much about those techniques.
« Last Edit: 2020-07-19 16:42:21 by eqprog »

Devina

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 2020-07-20 08:51:08 »
One of the main differences between the high poly Zack and low poly Zack is that low poly has less pixels dedicated to the front of his shirt, which is why I didn't carry over the leather belt and some elements because they didn't fit the resolution, or they were too pixelated. It's better to work on the high poly stuff and then port it over to the low poly.

Here's an update:

I just redid the suspenders from scratch, although I haven't added the fake lighting just yet.
I also redid the handle on his sword so the lines are more prominent. It's really important we get this right, because we're likely going to be porting it to Angeal and everything else. You could argue this is the most important texture in the whole game so I want everyone to give me feedback. We need to get Zack right.

I don't think we need to go higher than 4x for now. Maybe someday in the future. I just want to make sure everything looks good and consistent at 4x first. I've already made a lot of stuff at 4x and doing it all over is daunting.

To add fake grain, I just lasso tool > Filter > Noise > Add Noise, I keep it a low value like 1-5, and monochromatic. It's just enough to make it feel like it has texture, otherwise it looks too clean and fake. This can sort of simulate fabric and leather.

I'm not too satisfied with the current shoulderplate texture so I might re-do it a bit too. I sort of liked vierock's, it looks rather authentic:

https://i.imgur.com/hDfE4lD.png

At some times, I've wanted to just copy vierock's stuff over, but that would be plagiarism and they disappeared, so it's better to be respectful of their work and do stuff independently. vierock used my UI work without asking me and I pointed that out, then they just abandoned this forum, so I wonder if I spooked them away. I also commented that I didn't like how dirty the walls and floor of the Shinra Building looked so I might've accidentally insulted them... oh well. :o

And yeah, let's not get offended if we overwrite and re-do each other's work. This is a collab project after all. My "Shina Motor Group" car logo texture isn't so hot anyway, it could always use someone else improving it.

eqprog

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 2020-07-20 11:28:58 »
I’ve found threads on other forum for his version and he as a patreon ... just saying.

« Last Edit: 2020-07-20 17:19:43 by eqprog »

eqprog

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 2020-07-20 17:29:36 »
So I'm more awake now, lol, and I am looking at your screenshots on my pc monitor. Zack is looking better than ever! Amazing work, Devina! I agree that Zack's textures are the most important in the game because the player is going to be seeing him basically 100% of the time.  If you want to take the lead on that one, be my guest. Once you have a near-finished version I will provide some more detail feedback to you. I don't like giving too much feedback while work is in-progress because I feel that I might disrupt your creative vision.

So you can get to know me, I will provide a little background on myself.  I took a course in middle school on using photoshop (version 4.0!), but besides the requisite art class in high school, I don't have any formal or advanced training in the visual arts. The photoshop course really made me take an interest in editing photos and graphics but my strength certainly isn't creating artwork from scratch. Lately I have had interest in learning more, however, and this interest is part of the reason I decided to take on this project. That being said, I recognize that some of my work may be amateurish because, strictly-speaking, I am an amateur at this. I want the end result of this project to be the best we can manage to do, within reason, of course.

And finally, a call to action!

This thread has 3533 views as I type this - a ratio of about 44 views per reply! If you are reading this and have any interest in contributing to FF7CCUP in any way, I formally invite you to make a post here in this thread! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Even one additional team member would go a long way. If you choose to participate, you will be choosing to take part in a truly unique project. As far as I know, FF7CCUP is the only upscale/texture replacement project for a PSP game that aims to replace and enhance every asset. Let's be a part of history! (Albeit, very minor and likely obscure... lol).

Devina

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 2020-07-20 19:23:55 »
Thanks, I'll keep at it.

It's cool you've known Photoshop for that long, I'm pretty self-taught too and my image editing dates back over a decade when I used to make Sonic the Hedgehog sprites and banners for fansites in MS Paint.

(my work in progress)

I know the perfect way to get people to come. Once this topic hits 30 pages, I'll release a shirtless Zack outfit with multiple fun color variations and optional nips, so people can play the entire game as a hunky Zack (no wonder Aerith sent him nearly 100 letters, check out those lats). People will be able to vote on the color schemes.

Once we hit 50 pages, I'll release a special Aerith FF7 outfit (or Kingdom Hearts outfits if people want, we can hold a group vote).

Once we hit 200 pages, I will release nude mods... for the entire cast.

Other possible fun ideas include a gold-colored Buster Sword, bloody Buster Sword, and maybe FF7 or Remake-inspired menus and UIs.

(Also, I'm just kidding about the nude mods, I don't want Square to come after us.)

azelorta

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 2020-07-20 20:47:46 »
Hi,

I'm one of many silent ones on this forum but i just made an account for an appreciation post ! I have to say you two did an amazing work !

I downloaded the last package via GitHUb, everything works fine for now. I intend to redo the entire game using this version and the future updates, so i don't know if i can be of any help.
I have some good knowledge of photoshop but i don't know the other tools you use.

But once again, amazing job !

orichalcon

• It's a sin that somehow
  • Light is changing to shadow
    • View Profile
    • The Reunion
« Reply #84 on: 2020-07-21 00:15:28 »

vierock used my UI work without asking me and I pointed that out, then they just abandoned this forum, so I wonder if I spooked them away.

GOOD.

Kudos to you, Devina

no matter how talented i wouldnt want a person like that in this community, if people aren't respecting each others' work then modding becomes a war and a chore, and absolutely takes away the fun of it

+5 rep

eqprog

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 2020-07-21 02:16:33 »

I think I've got a pretty good technique down for doing these plants. This is probably the most important plant in the entire game!

Devina

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 2020-07-21 08:42:34 »
Be careful with that plant, I think there's a few hovering pixels there.

I'm getting a bit sick of working on Zack's texture so I'm going to post this now:

Before:

After:

I added some baked lighting into the shoulders. How does everyone feel about this?
I'm going to port it to all the other models soon. Keep in mind, this isn't the finalized texture, it's just a basic Zack 1.0 version so that everything looks consistent.
« Last Edit: 2020-07-21 08:49:19 by Devina »

eqprog

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 2020-07-21 13:59:41 »
Devina, if you look in "edits/linked objects/" I have files there ready to edit in your changes for the low-poly versions. If you just want to update this file I have an "artboard" set up so I can implement the changes to all the files at once and export them in one step. (Its too big to upload to github, apparently).

edit: Looking good, by the way.
« Last Edit: 2020-07-21 15:18:40 by eqprog »

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 2020-07-21 17:02:59 »
Looks good, better than most fan projects.

Devina

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 2020-07-22 02:14:10 »

eqprog

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: 2020-07-22 20:00:15 »
Cool, I will get to it when I can today.

Edit: Obviously I wasn’t able to get to it yesterday. My wife unexpectedly needed help with something.
« Last Edit: 2020-07-23 17:42:11 by eqprog »

eqprog

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 2020-07-24 16:19:58 »
Still haven't gotten to Zack, I needed to finish up something else first:

I did take some liberties with the design on this one but I feel it adds variety and is an improvement.

Edit: I should note that I’m not entirely done, just wanted to post a progress report.
« Last Edit: 2020-07-24 17:07:17 by eqprog »

Devina

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 2020-07-27 04:57:44 »
I hope you haven't ported the Zack stuff yet, I just saw a major error (two buttons on back).
I didn't notice because his buster sword was blocking the way.

I also began doing a basic port on the 2nd class high-poly model too.

Note to self: perfect desaturation > photo filter 7200ff > saturation -30 is how you get his uniform color.

Can you let me port the Zack stuff over instead? I want to make sure everything is perfect and has perfect desaturations (esp on his hair) anyway.

Also, the supply pods look good, although maybe it should be "ItemBox" with an uppercase I.
« Last Edit: 2020-07-27 16:08:04 by Devina »

eqprog

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 2020-07-27 15:03:31 »
Go for it. Check out  "zack_blue" and "zack_black" in the /edits/ directory. Feel free to add your changes and then I can use that file to basically batch edit all the rest.

Basically edit it in all the changes and mask out the face.

eqprog

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 2020-07-28 03:19:04 »
I edited about 40 textures today.

>

>

>

Devina

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 2020-07-28 08:03:42 »

Basically done 2nd class high poly. I was a bit confused as to what color 2nd class' straps are supposed to be. In the original texture, there's like no color. I ultimately went with brown (same as 1st class) because it's more aesthetically pleasing, and more consistent with the FMVs and some official art where you can clearly see it's brown:

I don't know why his straps lack any color in the original release, but I think it's safe to say it's an error. I also think it makes more sense from a lore perspective: would Shinra really go through the effort of making 1st/2nd class leather straps a different color, when their shirt fabric is already enough info?

eqprog

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 2020-07-28 19:43:03 »
It’s kinda contradictory. After you get the 1st class uniform you can talk to the other soldier in the room wearing the purple/maroon uniform and it says he’s a soldier 2nd class. It kinda implies that the color doesn’t matter but with Zack, it clearly does.

eqprog

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 2020-08-05 20:25:02 »
So I ported over the changes to zack's model with the exception of that from the ending scenes. Started to work on doing Kunsel's skin as well but there is some alignment issue going on....

eqprog

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 2020-08-06 19:24:52 »
There are some really weird things going on with some textures, I've noticed.  Extreme sad face.

Notice how these straight lines don't get rendered straight? I'm going to rip my hair out, I think.

Devina

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 2020-08-07 15:43:30 »
Yeah, I had to really put a lot of work into Zack's belt buckle to make sure it looks fine.

Sorry I've been a bit busy lately, haven't really done anything, tbh, I've had a bit of a burnout after putting so much effort into the project.

I want to work on Zack's low poly textures a bit so I think you should refrain from working on it or porting it to other characters just yet. I've already fixed some issues:

-white spot on shoulder
-black spot on belt
-hair is perfect desaturated
-weird wrinkle on pants I just don't like
-belt is black, not a navy color
-shirt is the exact same as high-poly texture so the major vertical lines are there

Ignore the shoulder plate and shoe zippers, I'm going to port your stuff over to it.

Also, note to self, these are the textures to work on to check how it looks in-game:

Zack 2nd class short hair: 00000000116307afd63b6918

Zack 1st class short hair: 000000004bb54918143ed1fb

Zack 1st class long hair: 000000007b05a244365a33e0

I wouldn't put too much effort into the Materia Room, I never go in there during my playthroughs.
I took the supply pods off WIP, but I'm going to add the keyboard and monitor:

They just look really bad. I also think the monitor should have a new interface because it takes me out of the experience a bit when I see a monitor but nothing on it is readable or makes sense. If you'd like to work on it, feel free (a Shinra logo should probably be on it too).