Author Topic: Midgardsormr Dead Flag  (Read 8946 times)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Midgardsormr Dead Flag
« on: 2010-09-27 17:33:37 »
Is there any way to kill off Midgardsormr completely after it has been killed in battle?  No respawn?

obesebear

• View Profile
Re: Midgardsormr Dead Flag
« Reply #1 on: 2010-09-27 17:38:52 »
You would need to also give beta to another enemy if you do that, I think he's the only one who casts it.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010-09-27 18:01:46 »
No you would still get to fight him....  only when you beat him, he won't come back? (and I would make it so that you could only beat him on a much higher level) 

It is for my hardcore mod.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010-09-27 18:56:51 »
The problem I can see is that we don't know much about encounter editing on the world map. I think we'll have to wait until that module is further reverse engineered before we can do things like this. If we were on the field instead of the WM, it would probably be easy to do.

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #4 on: 2010-09-27 20:46:25 »
So you want to fight him, kill him, and him not respawn until you leave and re-enter the world map or would you want it to be timed?

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #5 on: 2010-09-27 20:54:30 »
So you want to fight him, kill him, and him not respawn until you leave and re-enter the world map or would you want it to be timed?

He wants the zolom to be a unique boss like any other boss
like the materia keeper ( field version ), the weapons ( world version ) or lost number ( triggerd version )

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #6 on: 2010-09-27 21:00:04 »
He wants the zolom to be a unique boss like any other boss
like the materia keeper ( field version ), the weapons ( world version ) or lost number ( triggerd version )

Oh. OK. Makes sense. Still, the answer's the same either way: No one knows how.

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010-09-27 21:44:59 »
I have also been looking into this, i can make it so that it never spawns (ever) by NOPing some values linked to its movement in the EXE, but i don't know how to get it so that it spawns once then doesn't again after you kill it.
I have also found some other interesting values, like 1 value that allows it to leave the sand area (although it doesn't detect where you are unless you are in the sand area) and another value that makes it go around in circles, and 1 value that makes it follow vehicles like the highwind etc.

LostWingx

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010-09-28 02:14:24 »
Any chance we can get those values?  I've seen the gameshark code that allows snakey to leave the swamp, but not one that makes it chase its tail or follow vehicles.  Can you make it leave the marsh and also follow the highwind?  That would be fun.....for people like me...

nfitc1

• View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #9 on: 2010-09-28 11:56:20 »
I have also been looking into this, i can make it so that it never spawns (ever) by NOPing some values linked to its movement in the EXE, but i don't know how to get it so that it spawns once then doesn't again after you kill it.

You'd have to confiscate one of those worthless values in the savegame to tell the world map not to spawn him again. I'd recommend the battle relationship points. They're worthless. Maybe the ruby/emerald dead value. I think that just sets a 1 to a bit. You could use another bit to indicate not to spawn the MZ.

Akari

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2010-09-28 18:04:47 »
Did we know how world map scripted?

Update: found script. Work on reverse.
« Last Edit: 2010-09-30 12:01:59 by Akari »

chaosdeathfish

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2010-09-30 16:52:11 »
Akari, where did you find the world map scripts? I've been hunting for them on the PSX version but no luck. Unless they're in part 5 of the TXZ file, which I still don't know the meaning of.

Akari

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2010-09-30 16:57:50 »
Akari, where did you find the world map scripts? I've been hunting for them on the PSX version but no luck. Unless they're in part 5 of the TXZ file, which I still don't know the meaning of.

I found them approximately in 5 minutes. I just trace where data from savemap readed.
You can look at current reverse here http://q-gears.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/q-gears/trunk/reversing/ffvii/ffvii_wm/

I don't know where scripts really are. I just found them in RAM. I'll look from where it is loaded later.
Script itself here
http://q-gears.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/q-gears/trunk/reversing/ffvii/ffvii_wm/scripts/opcodes.txt?revision=613&view=markup

chaosdeathfish

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2010-09-30 18:18:26 »
Aha! Yes, that's the TXZ file, part 5. I've not really got the hang of stepping through the assembler, none of the PSX emulators seem to have a particularly usable debugger. Or possibly I've not worked out how to use them properly..

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #14 on: 2010-10-02 13:46:24 »
Bit more prosaic and dirty, but I'd just create a MZ encounter about the time Cloud finds one skewered at Mythril Mines. I'm not sure about disabling him, but I reckon you could watch what happens when he respawns, and force him to always spawn in a 'stuck' position.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2010-10-02 14:02:31 »
Unfortunately that breaks game play, I want  the player to be forced to use a chocobo and avoid it when they first meet it, and then later on (much later) come back and kill it.