Read this first! > FAQs and Tutorials

The Rules

<< < (3/9) > >>

Kudistos Megistos:

--- Quote from: sl1982 on 2010-07-23 17:28:40 ---Trust me, if i could have changed the layout of the forums i would have already.
--- End quote ---

What a shame. But you can change that post you made with the rules in it, can't you? Perhaps to something more along the lines of this. How convenient that the old rules on what goes where, which seem to have worked a lot better, have been thrown in the trashcan because they contradict the new ones! ;D

--- Quote from: sl1982 on 2010-07-23 17:28:40 ---As for the warning, that is all that it is. Nothing changes for the user except for that little watched icon. Consider it a visual reminder to follow the rules.
--- End quote ---

Using mod powers, even if they don't stop a person from posting, is very significant. It implies that what has been done is so severe that an unofficial warning is not enough, and it also marks the person. Fortunately the mark isn't a very bad one since very few people nowadays don't have some kind of warning, but that also means it can't work very well as a visual reminder to follow the rules.

--- Quote from: sl1982 on 2010-07-23 17:28:40 ---Either way people will b*tch. People complained when there was no moderation, people will complain when there is.
--- End quote ---

Either way people will break the rules, so I suppose there's no point in doing anything about it and we should get rid of all the moderators. See what I did there? ;D

And it isn't a case of people bitching when there is moderation and when there isn't; it's a case of people finding that the forums are harder to use when there is under moderation and when there is over-moderation. Don't exclude the middle.

sl1982:
You are forgetting one thing though. There only seems to be one person bitching about the moderation.

Kudistos Megistos:

--- Quote from: sl1982 on 2010-07-23 18:10:04 ---You are forgetting one thing though. There only seems to be one person bitching about the moderation.

--- End quote ---

Maybe the rest don't want to get banned?

That's another consequence of over-zealous moderation; people are afraid to disagree with the moderators because they don't want to be punished.

EDIT:

Oh, and I don't remember a single person complaining about how the old rules on what goes where used to work...

sl1982:
So if i understand you correctly you have no problem with people getting warned for posting in the wrong area. You just dont like the new way things are layed out. Or do you have a problem with the warnings as well? Should I have let the guy who posted a problem getting the game running in the ff7voice forum away with it? Or is that ok with you since it is not so much of a grey area?

Kudistos Megistos:
Where there are grey areas, it would be best to adopt a friendly tone when telling people that they are in the wrong place. The tech support in the FF7Voice board case would be a good reason for a stronger unofficial warning; personally I'd reserve official warnings, even if they don't make any changes to the person's ability to post, for more major offences like pirated edition threads, or for repeated offences. If a person is warned unofficially about posting something in what they definitely know is the wrong board, because they've been warned about exactly the same thing before, an official warning might be in order.

Basically, warnings that show up on a person's profile should be used a little less liberally and be used for cases in which unofficial ones have failed to change the person's behaviour. This would mean that warnings would do a better job of identifying the real trouble causers and would mean that we wouldn't have every other new member with a black (or green) mark by their name.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version