Author Topic: PSX Emulator (FAO Jari, Dag & Friends)  (Read 99115 times)

The SaiNt

• View Profile
PSX Emulator (FAO Jari, Dag & Friends)
« Reply #150 on: 2001-03-08 05:27:00 »
Aaaah!!
The posts in this topic are honestly getting longer and longer. But honestly speaking, I wonder if it's worth actually posting anything to reply to cHiBiMaRuKo cause he doesn't seem to read what we say.

quote from  http://www.g256.com" TARGET=_blank>www.g256.com   today

MS to lose $2bn on Xbox
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Icenum    Thursday March 8, 2001  3:04 AM Your Time
The Register has some darn interesting insight on MS and the XBox, good for consumers and bad for MS..Awwwww:
Merrill Lynch has come to the shock conclusion that Microsoft is going to lose a lot of money on Xbox. The console could drain up to $2 billion from the Beast of Redmond's coffers before break-even.

As the world+dog knows, consoles are sold at a loss in the early days, as manufacturers subsidise the low price points needed to drive sales of the machine.

Microsoft has yet to announce Xbox pricing, but most observers put it at around $250. Merrill Lynch reckons each console will cost around $375 to produce - simple maths tells you Microsoft is flushing $125 down the pan. The figure might be higher or lower depending on what Microsoft ultimatly asks punters to pay. The Xbox price tag isn't expected to be much higher than the $299 Sony currently charges for the PlayStation 2.

[This message has been edited by The SaiNt (edited March 08, 2001).]

cHiBiMaRuKo

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: 2001-03-08 08:47:00 »

Nope, got it wrong. By having every instruction 4 bytes in length exactly, it speeds up code. Because you know that 32-bytes of code contain 8 instructions, and when you're executing instruction #7, say, it's time to go and get the next block of code. It also means instructions never get split up over code boundaries - for example, if your cache line was 32-bytes, with variable length instructions, what happens when an instruction starts on the last byte and carries on elsewhere? As an example, on Win98 there's a code optimizer tool that pads executable code so the instructions all end on 4K boundaries. THIS INCREASES THE SIZE OF THE FILE BUT IMPROVES SPEED OF EXECUTION.

Ahaha, good, but as you have said above, and also the author want to point out, THIS INCREASES THE SIZE OF THE FILE BUT IMPROVES SPEED OF EXECUTION. By larger file size, more memory
would be needed for operation. Chances are high that, that L1 and L2 cache won't be able to hold all the data needed for execution, thus cache miss rate will be higher. Cache miss cost CPU cycles, I think you know that, and RISC speed advantage that it should have is gone anyway.

"The necessary bits required to uniquely decode the instruction are usually found in the first 2 bytes of the instruction, 4 bytes for floating point. That's all the decoder needs to figure what this instruction is. It needs to decode the additional bytes only in cases of complex addressing modes."

First of all he says they're "usually" found in the first two bytes. Then he says "that's all it needs". Then he changes mind again and says that sometimes it DOES need the rest of the instruction! Either
a) You get all the instruction, leading to increasing memory traffic, exactly what he was accusing the RISC of or
b) You don't, and when it turns out you DID need the rest of it, you're f***ed. (Well, actually it means another memory access - but you've just lost out speed-wise).

Did the author already say that it will only need to decode the whole instructions when in complex addressing mode. He also say only SOMETIMES the 68040 cip hhave to do that. The fact that all the data need for execution usually lies in first 2 ( or 4 ) bytes is quite right, especially in today processors, except sometimes. If you get all the instructions in the first 2 ( or 4 bytes ), I don't see why does it increase memory traffic because usually it don't take as much physical RAM as RISC would do.

"...could give the appearance of executing 1 instruction per cycle. Any given instruction still takes multiple clock cycles to execute, but by overlapping several instructions at once at different stages of execution, you get the appearance of one instruction per cycle."

You do; on this he's quite right, if you've got enough simultaneous fetch/decode/execute subunits. He also points out this fails if the CPU is wrong about which instruction is going to be executed next (in the case of a Jump (GOTO, if you like) command). So, everybody, would would we all prefer:

a) A CPU which appears to execute 1 instruction per cycle except when it jumps, when the next few instructions will take up to 10 cycles.
b) A CPU which appears to execute 1 instruction per cycle except when it jumps, when the next few instructions will take up to 3 cycles.

Hmmm .... I'd want (b). That's the RISC.

Incidentally, JUMP instructions are fairly common in code. I've done some assembler programming as part of my course, and taking the example assembler I wrote for of the exercises, out of 17 instructions, 3 were conditional jumps. Lots of things generate jumps; calling a function, IF statements, loops, etc.

Also, he mentions exactly *how* modern CISC processors gain their speed: Multiple decoders, like you need for the above trick. What about the PIII? "Decoders 2 and 3 can decode only simple, RISC-like instructions that break down into 1 micro-op." OK: So it's fast because the extra decoders in it are small RISC processors... that's exactly the case here: Modern CISC's *do* use a lot of RISC-type architecture to run as fast as possible. Does this suggest, perhaps, that RISC has speed advantages over CISC? No, of course it doesn't!.

I think you miss the point of what the author want to point out here. He only want to point out that "RISC is here to stay and CISC will die" theory isn't true. Maybe the RISC is fast, but CISC chips had already have their ways of matching RISC speed and efficiency. After all, the author already pointed out that all enginners come from the same uni/college and learn the same books, maybe the same one as what you've learned. I a computer engineering grad from UPM in Malaysia, and my lecturers also kinda say the same thing to me. But in IT world, everything changed quickly and the not everything you've learned in university today will apply to then outside world in one or two years.

Aaaah!!
The posts in this topic are honestly getting longer and longer. But honestly speaking, I wonder if it's worth actually posting anything to reply to cHiBiMaRuKo cause he doesn't seem to read what we say.
quote from  http://www.g256.com" TARGET=_blank>www.g256.com   today

MS to lose $2bn on Xbox
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Icenum Thursday March 8, 2001 3:04 AM Your Time
The Register has some darn interesting insight on MS and the XBox, good for consumers and bad for MS..Awwwww:
Merrill Lynch has come to the shock conclusion that Microsoft is going to lose a lot of money on Xbox. The console could drain up to $2 billion from the Beast of Redmond's coffers before break-even.

As the world+dog knows, consoles are sold at a loss in the early days, as manufacturers subsidise the low price points needed to drive sales of the machine.

Microsoft has yet to announce Xbox pricing, but most observers put it at around $250. Merrill Lynch reckons each console will cost around $375 to produce - simple maths tells you Microsoft is flushing $125 down the pan. The figure might be higher or lower depending on what Microsoft ultimatly asks punters to pay. The Xbox price tag isn't expected to be much higher than the $299 Sony currently charges for the PlayStation 2.

You obviously don't get my point up there. Did I say that Microsoft will make money from X-Box sales? No! Microsoft will highly likely also take the strategy employed by Sony ( if you did know how Sony operates on the console market ). Did you think that PS2 really cost ONLY US 300? Maybe I should have make my point clearly next time.

[This message has been edited by cHiBiMaRuKo (edited March 08, 2001).]

The SaiNt

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: 2001-03-08 10:29:00 »
Uhm, cHiBiMaRuKo, I didn't meant anything by the post on how much Microsoft is losing out. That was just for everyone's information. Maybe it was I that needed to make things clear.

Ahaha, good, but as you have said above, and also the author want to point out, THIS INCREASES THE SIZE OF THE FILE BUT IMPROVES SPEED OF EXECUTION. By larger file size, more memory
would be needed for operation. Chances are high that, that L1 and L2 cache won't be able to hold all the data needed for execution, thus cache miss rate will be higher. Cache miss cost CPU cycles, I think you know that, and RISC speed advantage that it should have is gone anyway.

Note that the author stated "THIS INCREASES THE SIZE OF THE FILE BUT IMPROVES SPEED OF EXECUTION". Execution describes the whole process thus it includes factors such as L1 and L2 cache. If he said COMPUTATION instead of EXECUTION, the factors of L1 and L2 should be considered.

Here's some info you guys should read before actually arguing any further. All the info below has been picked from   http://www.gamespot.com" TARGET=_blank>www.gamespot.com  

What kind of CPU will it have?
Early rumors indicated that the X-Box would be powered by an AMD Athlon running at either 600 or 650MHz. However, in an eleventh-hour decision made by Microsoft, AMD was dropped in favor of Intel due to pricing and availability concerns. Microsoft has committed to an Intel Pentium III processor, but hasn't decided on a clock speed yet. At the very least, the X-Box will have a P3-600 at its heart.

What kinds of graphics chip will it have?
In another last minute decision, Microsoft dropped start-up GigaPixel in favor of Nvidia, which is a much more established graphics-chip manufacturer. The prototype unit showed by Microsoft during Gates' presentation was running an Nvidia NV15 chipset, but the final design will feature an even more powerful NV25.

How much system memory will the X-Box have?
The X-Box will have a unified memory architecture wherein the console will share 64 megabytes of DDR RAM for the video and main system bus.  While this might seem a bit unorthodox, the X-Box's unified architecture will let developers fill nearly all 64MB with memory-hungry textures, eliminating the need for texture caching, which can tax the hard drive and system bus.

What about the OS?
The X-Box will run off a Windows 2000 variant in conjunction with DirectX 8. Microsoft's Seamus Blackley told GameSpot that the current Win2K kernel "is the size of a fly burp," and it will top out no larger than 500kb.

Will PC games be able to run on the X-Box?
Unfortunately, no. The X-Box is a standalone console and not a PC-in-a-box. As such, Microsoft will be setting up a licensing and quality-assurance business model like the ones currently in place at Sega, Nintendo, and Sony. However, because of the X-Box's x86 architecture and familiar OS and API, developers should be able to port over PC games to the X-Box (or vice versa) in a matter of weeks.

On the RISC and CISC topic, you might want to read this:-
   http://www.zdnet.com/pcmag/pctech/content/14/18/tu1418.001.html" TARGET=_blank>RISC vs. CISC  

I'm too lazy or rather I'm too buzy too type anymore, so that's all for now.

[This message has been edited by The SaiNt (edited March 09, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by The SaiNt (edited March 09, 2001).]

ficedula

• View Profile
    • http://www.ficedula.co.uk
« Reply #153 on: 2001-03-08 15:35:00 »
Fill ALL 64MB with textures? Unless I've missed something, doesn't this mean there'd be no memory left for the main game - like, say, sound effects, the polygon data, the actual program itself...

BTW, that link you posted is empty.

And yes, I know the author of that article I was commenting on isn't trying to say RISC's are useless. He's trying to say they hold no advantage over CISC, and I say that's wrong.

cHiBiMaRuKo

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: 2001-03-08 21:57:00 »

Note that the author stated "THIS INCREASES THE SIZE OF THE FILE BUT IMPROVES SPEED OF EXECUTION". Execution describes the whole process thus it includes factors such as L1 and L2 cache. If he said COMPUTATION instead of EXECUTION, the factors of L1 and L2 should be considered.

And then what's the point? It seems you want to say that execution and computation speed both depends on L2 and L1 cache. Of course it is. And then?

Read all the X-Box and notes taken

The CPU has been upgraded to 733Mhz  http://firingsquad.gamers.com/news/newsarticle.asp?searchid=1666" TARGET=_blank>FiringSquad article  but I already heard that it's been slowed down to 667Mhz. There's possibillity that AMD chips could also be used  http://www.msxbox.com/php/full_post.php3?id=700" TARGET=_blank>AMD in X-Box

I've already said that NV25 ( not exactly NV25 but a beefier version of NV20 ) will be used by X-Box. Afraid that textures will fill up the 64MB DDR-RAM and couldn't flush it out as faster as X-Box could be hoping for ( even with high bandwidth it have )? X-Box shipped with a 8GB HDD right out from the box ( not your normal PC HDD mind you ) for storing information about the actual games etc just like a swap file.  http://www.msxbox.com/hardware_php/hd.php3" TARGET=_blank>HDD in X-Box . I better make it straight that HDD in X-Box is faster than what you've seen in current PC, particularly that because it's not hindered by PCI 33Mhz speed.

Fill ALL 64MB with textures? Unless I've missed something, doesn't this mean there'd be no memory left for the main game - like, say, sound effects, the polygon data, the actual program itself...

If the 64MB DDR-RAM isn't enough and X-Box couldn't flush the textures fast enough, there's always the HDD to hold the data you've mentioned. Those kind of data shouldn't take too much bandwidth as opposed to the textures.

I doubt that the textures will take all 64MB though because at most, X-Box will only render at 800x600res ( as most current TV max resolution is this ). HDTV isn't popular as of yet, but when HDTV is, X-Box2 will already come out out ( well if X-Box is successful ).

And yes, I know the author of that article I was commenting on isn't trying to say RISC's are useless. He's trying to say they hold no advantage over CISC, and I say that's wrong.

Today, that argument sure is true. Name me any true RISC or CISC CPUs out there now. There's aren't any. RISC have it's own weakness that hinder performance and CISC also have their own. If RISC have complete advantage over CISC as what you've claimed, CISC will die already.

ficedula

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: 2001-03-09 03:06:00 »
Check your logic. I never said RISC had every advantage over CISC. I said  it's wrong that they have *no* advantage.

As for swap files ... exactly how is a 6 point whatever GB/sec bandwidth helping you if you're constantly swapping to/from hard disk? A *ridiculously* fast hard disk could manage 100MB/sec in *theory* and that would mean half a second lock-up every time the XBox flushed large portions of RAM... plus no drive *ever* gets it's maximum speed rating.

cHiBiMaRuKo

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: 2001-03-09 07:13:00 »

Check your logic. I never said RISC had every advantage over CISC. I said it's wrong that they have *no* advantage.

And then it's safe to say that CISC have their own advantages over RISC too?

As for swap files ... exactly how is a 6 point whatever GB/sec bandwidth helping you if you're constantly swapping to/from hard disk? A *ridiculously* fast hard disk could manage 100MB/sec in *theory* and that would mean half a second lock-up every time the XBox flushed large portions of RAM... plus no drive *ever* gets it's maximum speed rating.

1. Only data like the textures and the soundstreams is needed to be changed quickly most of the time. Other data, such as game engine, the Windows 2000 kernel itself etc. aren't changed by much in gaming  course. So, X-Box probably will store those static data on the swap file, and only the textures/sound streams on memory.

2. As I have said before, X-Box games usually won't render more than 800x600 resolution even at the release time at the end of the year, because conventional TV don't support res. higher than that. I believe 800x600x32bit with texture size of 2048x2048 won't even take take half the RAM on X-Box. So there's plenty of room for other processes/data etc. And if most developers use lower res than that, with I expect from early games anyway, memory requirement would be less.

3. I've also said that the HDD in X-Box aren't tied with PCI speed limitation in PC, due to  architectural differences between both PC and console. These PCI problem are the one that make current HDDs ( for PC ) don't attain their rated speed. Maybe HDD in X-Box could reach their maximum speed easier than what of PC could. But at least it would be faster than what PC have to offer.  

The SaiNt

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: 2001-03-09 07:35:00 »
I've corrected the link already

Aaaah!!!
You still don't get it do you?
When the author actually said
"THIS INCREASES THE SIZE OF THE FILE BUT IMPROVES SPEED OF EXECUTION"

The part "THIS INCREASES THE SIZE OF THE FILE " means that the size of the file does increase.

The other part "BUT IMPROVES SPEED OF EXECUTION" means that the overall speed already includes the factors such as L1 and L2 cache. In other words, the latter is faster ON THE WHOLE.

If the 2nd part said "BUT IMPROVES SPEED OF COMPUTATION", it would mean that it only increases the speed of processing but the L1 and L2 cache factors have not been included thus it WILL be possible that the it may be faster.

cHiBiMaRuKo, what is the problem with you and the bandwidth problem? Don't you see? With only 64MB of DDR RAM for both the system and the video and main system bus, the system would not be efficient at all. Firstly, you will definately not flush all of the main systems bus info into the hard disk or it will just make the whole system SUPER SLOW. The idea of unified memory is exactly what the whole AGP idea revolves on. The AGP bus has sufficient bandwidth to access the system RAM but why doesn't it do it straight away and alleviate the problem of putting RAM chips onto the video card itself? This is because the RAM chips on the video card are usually faster and owned SOLELY by the video card. Let's assume that the Geforce 3 will have 64MB of onboard RAM minimum so wouldn't that already mean an advantage over the X-box?

Now lets look at the 2nd part, where you say swapping on the hard-disk works fast because of the advantage it has on the system bus. Please note that PC hard drives nowadays have access to what is called UDMA100 technology. The only reason you would require such technolgy or speed transfer is If your hard drive spins with at least 7200 rpm. Note also that the bus speed is not the limiting factor here. The hard drives only manage to reach the 100MB/s transfer limit when the acheive a BURST speed. Therefore even if you have a 2 million MB/s bus speed for hard-drives on the X-Box, it will not be of any use. Should you say Microsoft could easily put a 10000rpm hard drive into the X-box, think about it, if Microsoft were to that, how much do you think the X-box would cost? If Microsoft were to do that and still be able to make it cost less that $300, a lot of people would go out and buy it straight away but not for the console but just to salvage all the parts in the X-box. Please also remember that a hard drive is a physical read device that requires a motor and will never ever manage to match RAM. Swapping between RAM and the Hard Disk is a BAD IDEA cause RAM is at least 10 times faster than your hard disk. Swapping to the hard disk defeats the complete purpose of the fast processing speed doesn't it?

I'm running out of time again so I'll talk about the textures tomorrow if I can find the time.
About textures  http://www.bleem.com/help/support/video/hardtext.html" TARGET=_blank>differences between the PC and the PSX

ficedula

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: 2001-03-09 14:05:00 »
Yes, CISC *does* have some advantages over RISC and vice versa. I objected to the way you (and the author you quoted) dismissed RISC processors as of no use at all nowadays.

And yes, hard disk's aren't limited by bus speed. They're limited by the fact they're a physical medium that requires movement to change data, unlike RAM where data is changed purely electronically.

cHiBiMaRuKo

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: 2001-03-09 22:16:00 »

Aaaah!!!
You still don't get it do you?
When the author actually said
"THIS INCREASES THE SIZE OF THE FILE BUT IMPROVES SPEED OF EXECUTION"

The part "THIS INCREASES THE SIZE OF THE FILE " means that the size of the file does increase.

The other part "BUT IMPROVES SPEED OF EXECUTION" means that the overall speed already includes the factors such as L1 and L2 cache. In other words, the latter is faster ON THE WHOLE.

If the 2nd part said "BUT IMPROVES SPEED OF COMPUTATION", it would mean that it only increases the speed of processing but the L1 and L2 cache factors have not been included thus it WILL be possible that the it may be faster.

That doesn't change the fact that RISC CPU ( post G4 anyway - which have ridiculously large cache ) don't have superior execution rate that what of CISC have. The author ( Pentium 4 article ) have pointed out that while RISC code execution is faster, the cache problem reduce it's rate anyway.

cHiBiMaRuKo, what is the problem with you and the bandwidth problem? Don't you see? With only 64MB of DDR RAM for both the system and the video and main system bus, the system would not be efficient at all. Firstly, you will definately not flush all of the main systems bus info into the hard disk or it will just make the whole system SUPER SLOW. The idea of unified memory is exactly what the whole AGP idea revolves on. The AGP bus has sufficient bandwidth to access the system RAM but why doesn't it do it straight away and alleviate the problem of putting RAM chips onto the video card itself? This is because the RAM chips on the video card are usually faster and owned SOLELY by the video card. Let's assume that the Geforce 3 will have 64MB of onboard RAM minimum so wouldn't that already mean an advantage over the X-box?

How did you know that putting data that aren't memory intensive in HDD will make it super slow? You're seems to think that X-Box architecture is the same like of current PC, while it completely isn't. First you say that AGP have sufficient bandwidth to system memory. Woohoo, who taught you that? The AGP is slower than what you can think off. Swapping textures from system memory will make even the fastest x86 computer on earth stutters. X-Box don't have that problem. X-Box is actually just like a large graphic card, with high bandwidth for itself. No AGP or PCI, no IDE etc. Swapping textures in X-Box will be just as easy as current garphic cards do.

64MB DDR-RAM is ENOUGH for all data ( textures, sound, game engine etc ). Let say if a X-Box game is coded at 800x600x32bit and using 2048x2048 textures ( the most current TV could support ), with triple buffering, and medium texture usage and detail ( this is TV anyway ). It won't take more than 15MB of buffer and texture memory, which is the most important in ensuring stutterless gameplay.
And did you already forget that Direct3D also have support for S3TC and DXTC ver 3 and 5 ( NV10 and later support both )? Applying that 2 extension will reduce the memory requirement for textures and buffer memory futhrer.  Win2k kernel for X-box will top-out at 500kb. Still plenty of space for other data to fill in.

Now lets look at the 2nd part, where you say swapping on the hard-disk works fast because of the advantage it has on the system bus. Please note that PC hard drives nowadays have access to what is called UDMA100 technology. The only reason you would require such technolgy or speed transfer is If your hard drive spins with at least 7200 rpm. Note also that the bus speed is not the limiting factor here. The hard drives only manage to reach the 100MB/s transfer limit when the acheive a BURST speed. Therefore even if you have a 2 million MB/s bus speed for hard-drives on the X-Box, it will not be of any use. Should you say Microsoft could easily put a 10000rpm hard drive into the X-box, think about it, if Microsoft were to that, how much do you think the X-box would cost? If Microsoft were to do that and still be able to make it cost less that $300, a lot of people would go out and buy it straight away but not for the console but just to salvage all the parts in the X-box. Please also remember that a hard drive is a physical read device that requires a motor and will never ever manage to match RAM. Swapping between RAM and the Hard Disk is a BAD IDEA cause RAM is at least 10 times faster than your hard disk. Swapping to the hard disk defeats the complete purpose of the fast processing speed doesn't it?

Again why do you think HDD for X-Box will be only as par as PC? You always seems to think that X-Box architecture is the same to PC. Of course the HDD in X-Box will never match the memory speed but it can attain a higher speed than what HDDs in PC can. How high a UDMA100 transfer rate in PC could go? 40Mb/s tops. Why? It is because of HDD limitation or the PC system bus? The IDE controller maybe can handle 100MB/s but how about the PCI 33Mhz? UDMA 100 HDDs could achieve more than 60Mb/s sustained transfer rate in labs but why it doesn't even reach that speed in counsumer PC? It is still HDD limitations or not? Up to you to think of it. Why I know? I work at IBM HDD factory in Sungei Besi near Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
I bet that HDD in X-Box could acheive at least 50MB/s in transfer speed, as it connect directly to the X-Box faster system bus.  And yes, there's NO HDD in PC yet that I've seen that reach 66MB/s or 100MB/s, at least, outside the labs.

Yes, CISC *does* have some advantages over RISC and vice versa. I objected to the way you (and the author you quoted) dismissed RISC processors as of no use at all nowadays.

Did I've said anything like that? I'm just replying to DagSverre post that say  CISC is stepping to the wrong direction, while it certainly isn't. And I don't remember that the author I've mentioned ever dissing RISC. He just mentioned that RISC is better than CISC argument is wrong, which is certainly true, especially nowadays.

ficedula

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: 2001-03-10 16:00:00 »
A 33Mhz 32-bit bus has a data transfer rate of over 100MB/sec. So why can't a hard disk rated at 100MB/s attain 100MB/s in a PC? If ALL you're doing is copying files, shouldn't it be able to attain it's MAXIMUM data rate? Yes, it will - and you'll find it's not 100MB/s. Data bus limitations in PC account for SOME slowdowns, but not all - and they don't affect hard disk speed much. A hard disk in the XBox will attain a similar speed to the same speed in the PC, purely because any speed limitations are due to the physical construction of the drive.

Incidentally, 4X AGP at 32-bit has a data bandwith of well over 400MB/sec. I don't think data bandwidth is a problem on the modern PC. The slowdown you see when data is transferred between oncard/main memory is because it's using the data bus AT ALL. ANY use of the data bus causes a slowdown, even if you're using DMA. Using it to contact a hard disk is even worse - ever heard of data seek time? So if the XBox swaps data to/from hard disk, that's a further reason to avoid it.

BTW - on the subject of textures - a 512x512 texture takes up 1MB of RAM, if you're using 32bit colour, and we all do. Given that a 512x512 texture could be standard for ANY enemy, modern games could well use 32MB of ram - multiple enemies on the screen, you, the backdrops, etc. On a GeForce/Radeon/whatever with 32MB of RAM you're laughing! On an XBox, you've just blown half your RAM on textures before any game data's been loaded. Sounds? Talking a few MB at least, and music's got to be taken into account. Remember, the 8MB DLS that came with FF8 was considered to be, well, "shit", so whether or not you're using synthesised music you want another 16MB for music. Oh dear, 3/4 of all RAM gone and we STILL haven't loaded anything other than textures or sounds. Basically, by the time the XBox comes out, 64MB of RAM is a REAL limitation. Even with texture compression (and, BTW, my graphics card supports S3TC in hardware, and it doesn't help that much) you still have REAL problems.

I'm not debating that the XBox will be a reasonable console; I'm saying that by the time it comes out, the standard PC will be pretty damn good, and within a year or two it'll far outclass the XBox

M0T

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: 2001-03-10 15:06:00 »
But isn't that how it always goes. I remember when I got my N64, we went in to EB and they didnt have enough so we were promised one the next week but in the mean time my dad bought tombraider and another game. When we got the N64 the graphics on mario 64 were better than thoose of tombraider but within the year the pc had caught up. So whatever happejns its not going to take long for the pc to catch up with the xbox.
  Also when we went to get the 64 my dad went into burger king and asked for an egg mcmuffin, how embarassing.

ficedula

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: 2001-03-10 19:35:00 »
Yes, that is the whole point: eventually, the PC will catch up with any console. The point I'm making is that I don't think it will take long with the XBox. Maybe it won't take long with the PS2 either, but that's already out, so you could've had a few years of better-than-PC gaming by the time it happens. XBox is coming out too late IMHO; if it was out *now* with about 20 games, and had been for a few months, the PS2 could be in serious trouble. It isn't, so it isn't. (Whoa, obscure sentence  :) )

M0T

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: 2001-03-10 19:44:00 »
no it really wont take long especially after all the delays it will probably suffer  :)
Also i want to know why console companies treat europe like s**t. e.g gamecube july japan
october- us
spring - europe

xbox- us-october
jap - ????
europe- spring 2002

if the ps2 can come out over here only a month behind the us date then why cant the rest, its really stupid if you think about it, people spend most money at christmas so you bring out an expensive item after christmas when people hae spent £1000s already so no-one is gonna buy it.

cHiBiMaRuKo

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: 2001-03-10 21:59:00 »

A 33Mhz 32-bit bus has a data transfer rate of over 100MB/sec. So why can't a hard disk rated at 100MB/s attain 100MB/s in a PC? If ALL you're doing is copying files, shouldn't it be able to attain it's MAXIMUM data rate? Yes, it will - and you'll find it's not 100MB/s. Data bus limitations in PC account for SOME slowdowns, but not all - and they don't affect hard disk speed much. A hard disk in the XBox will attain a similar speed to the same speed in the PC, purely because any speed limitations are due to the physical construction of the drive.

You're forgetting that apart from the HDD, there's others hardware such as soundcard, internal modem, NIC etc, that also used the PCI bus. Those suckers also take bandwidth. And the figure of 40MB/s only apply to Intel i815 and i850 chipset ( or whatever chipsets that use the MTH ), as the northbridge and the southbridge aren't connected via PCI bus. All Athlon chipsets, and also Intel older chipsets such as BX and LX get much lower transfer rate than 40Mb/s, usually around 25 to 30MB/s at best. X-Box HDD is likely will connect directly to the faster system bus which is 200Mhz and should be able to clock higher speed than HDD in PCs. It's also why in the last minute, Intel were selected to provide CPU for X-Box, even that it's expensive compared to Athlon.

Incidentally, 4X AGP at 32-bit has a data bandwith of well over 400MB/sec. I don't think data bandwidth is a problem on the modern PC. The slowdown you see when data is transferred between oncard/main memory is because it's using the data bus AT ALL. ANY use of the data bus causes a slowdown, even if you're using DMA. Using it to contact a hard disk is even worse - ever heard of data seek time? So if the XBox swaps data to/from hard disk, that's a further reason to avoid it.

No, the slowdown happened because 1). The main memory IS slower than the video memory. 2). The AGP bus, even at 400MB/s as you've said, is slow. Wanna know why? AGP bus is just a derivative from the PCI bus. Hmm.. shared bandwidth again. And actually AGP 4x bandwidth is more than 1Ghz, theoritically. Compared with the X-Box bandwidth, AGP 4x still sucks. The 1Gb/s bandwidth is hardly used.

BTW - on the subject of textures - a 512x512 texture takes up 1MB of RAM, if you're using 32bit colour, and we all do. Given that a 512x512 texture could be standard for ANY enemy, modern games could well use 32MB of ram - multiple enemies on the screen, you, the backdrops, etc. On a GeForce/Radeon/whatever with 32MB of RAM you're laughing! On an XBox, you've just blown half your RAM on textures before any game data's been loaded. Sounds? Talking a few MB at least, and music's got to be taken into account. Remember, the 8MB DLS that came with FF8 was considered to be, well, "shit", so whether or not you're using synthesised music you want another 16MB for music. Oh dear, 3/4 of all RAM gone and we STILL haven't loaded anything other than textures or sounds. Basically, by the time the XBox comes out, 64MB of RAM is a REAL limitation. Even with texture compression (and, BTW, my graphics card supports S3TC in hardware, and it doesn't help that much) you still have REAL problems.

Here's is a link on how to calculate video memory taken by textures etc.  http://www.planetquake.com/rocketland/haqsau/vidmemcalc.shtml" TARGET=_blank>PlanetQuake
512x512 textures is small, as Direct3D spec support up to 2048x2048. Calculate and with medium textures ( high textures don't make a difference on TV sets -especially the large ones ), pull all other at high selection ( 32bit, mipmap enabled, triple buffering etc. ) and still don't reach 20MB is video memory.

Music? One of the new feature in DirectX8 is that both DirectMusic and DirectSound are combined into one. So no more sucky sound like in FF VII. DLS is history now. You can create a loopable pre-recorded musics with Directx8, and also to take account with all TV sets around the world, 44Khz and 22Khz won't make a difference, also with mono and stereo, unless of course the TV set is also hooked to a home theathre sound system. Well, it's up to the developers to choose how the music should be played in their games.

About S3TC? Well what card did you use? Radeon or nVidia? FYI, nVidia have disabled S3TC support in all their drivers ( especially Det3 ), mostly to boost sales of their 64MB cards. Probably that's why you don't see any improvement in S3TC supporting games like Unreal Tournament and Soldier of Fortune. On other cards like Savage2000 which also support S3TC, the performance difference after enabling S3TC is noticeable, at least for me.

I'm not debating that the XBox will be a reasonable console; I'm saying that by the time it comes out, the standard PC will be pretty damn good, and within a year or two it'll far outclass the XBox

PC will of course overtake X-box in one year time or more after X-Box released. But to say a computer, even at that time, to be able to fully emulate X-Box is debatable. Texture handling, AC-3 support is just two cases which is interesting to see if any emulator programmers out there could handle.
Damn, if Aureal still lives now, maybe we already have a soundcard that can decode AC-3 in hardware, thus making X-Box ( and also PS2 ) emulation easier.

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
« Reply #165 on: 2001-03-10 23:12:00 »
It may be several years but I think eventually you will be able to emulate an X-box fully on PC.

Take PSX - its been out for what, five years?  When it came out do you think that people thought emulation of it possible?  It was the most state-of-the-art thing then.

I managed to get 60 fps with ePSXe on 400 mhz using SOFTWARE ONLY, zero hardware accelleration, on FF9.

Maybe the same will be true with the X-Box eventually.... Nothing's impossible to emulate, we just have to wait for the PCs to get enough memory and have fast enough data transfer.

Threesixty

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/threesixtyci/
« Reply #166 on: 2001-03-11 15:54:00 »
I don't know why your rambling about the X-box vs the PC....this is Microsoft we're talking about. I'm sure that every game that is released for the Xbox will be released for the PC at the same time.

And I doubt the speed will be faster on the X-box vs a 1.2Gig Athlon or the 1.5 P4 (who wants to spend 3000 dollars for one of those, when you can get a 1.2 Athlon at 1/3 the cost and at the same performance level).

The reason (not the P4 question)?
The current video card are the Bottleneck for these systems....Maybe the Geforce 3 will solve that, but I don't think it will. From what I've read on it. It's just slightly faster with a whole lot of extra effects added. Effects that no games will use until, maybe next year.

http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/01q1/010302/geforce-05.html" TARGET=_blank>You'll notice that when the faster video card is put in these Systems it get a big step, but the framerate between the processors are almost the same.   What this tells me is that the Video Card cannot keep up with the CPU's....Even on the lower 900mhz Athlon, the Video Card is the bottleneck. You can really see it on the 1600X1200 benchmarks.

In short...Today's PC processors are way ahead of there 3d video Cards. Besides, 30FPS is really all you need for smooth Graphics. The Geforce MX version does that even on the highest resolution. I doubt the PS2's are doing 30FPS, almost every review that I see on Tech-TV that features the PS2 looks choppy, to me.

[This message has been edited by Threesixty (edited March 11, 2001).]

ficedula

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: 2001-03-11 19:05:00 »
You're missing the point again. Yes, PCI bus is shared between modem, soundcard, etc, etc... that's why I said when I'm doing *nothing else* but copy hard disk data. On my recent ish drive (1 year old) when copying absolutely nothing but data (nothing using sound card, nothing using modem, etc, etc) from hard disk I get a transfer rate of slightly over 20MB/sec. The latest 100MB/sec hard disks don't get above 50-60MB/sec (which, incidentally, proves you're wrong about the 40MB/sec limitation on the bus; how can they get 50-60 otherwise?). Hard disks are limited *purely* by physical construction. The bus bandwidth is *not* going to slow them down unless (A) you're using a 486 or (B) you're also running a game using the network card, modem, soundcard, video capture card and second video card. *I* don't run any games like that, at any rate.

The SaiNt

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: 2001-03-11 19:34:00 »
Sorry cHiBiMaRuKo, since fice has already said what I wanna say I'm gonna go comment about Threesixty's post now.

Uhm, Threesixty, the only reason you see choppyness in Tech-TV is because the those videocam's that record it run at a different frequency compared to the TV which displays the PS2 graphics. In more detail, two different light sources have do not share the same wavelength start cycle and thus do not have coherence. This causes the picture to appear choppy. Simply said, both of the light sources (the TV and the vidcam) take and display pic's at a different rate thus making it appear choppy. Human eyes are different cause the picture's are retained in the brain so it is easier for our eyes to be tricked to see an animation. The vidcam on the other hand is not tricked and only displays what it records or actually sees. Just as a sidenote, PAL games on the PSX use a frame rate of 50 FPS while NTSC games uss a frame rate of 60 FPS. The PSX2 DOES NOT run at less than 30 FPS! 30FPS is only used for video display I believe.

cHiBiMaRuKo

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: 2001-03-11 23:15:00 »

You're missing the point again. Yes, PCI bus is shared between modem, soundcard, etc, etc... that's why I said when I'm doing *nothing else* but copy hard disk data. On my recent ish drive (1 year old) when copying absolutely nothing but data (nothing using sound card, nothing using modem, etc, etc) from hard disk I get a transfer rate of slightly over 20MB/sec. The latest 100MB/sec hard disks don't get above 50-60MB/sec (which, incidentally, proves you're wrong about the 40MB/sec limitation on the bus; how can they get 50-60 otherwise?). Hard disks are limited *purely* by physical construction. The bus bandwidth is *not* going to slow them down unless (A) you're using a 486 or (B) you're also running a game using the network card, modem, soundcard, video capture card and second video card. *I* don't run any games like that, at any rate.

Now what PC chipset did you have? And how do you copy the file? From a HDD to another HDD within the same IDE channel, or different channel? Or copying files within different partitions in the same drive. Give me the info on the details on how you make your copying test, and I will explain where the bottleneck is.

And how did I get 60Mb/s? Do you think I use a computer? At my workplace ( I already told you where I work didn't you? ), we use a special device to calculate how much bandwidth a particular HDD could give. We're not using a computer because there's a lot of bottlenecks in it.

You'll notice that when the faster video card is put in these Systems it get a big step, but the framerate between the processors are almost the same. What this tells me is that the Video Card cannot keep up with the CPU's....Even on the lower 900mhz Athlon, the Video Card is the bottleneck. You can really see it on the 1600X1200 benchmarks.

But in X-Box, the games will be developed at most 800x600 resolution. In this case, the CPU ( PIII 667Mhz? )is the bottleneck and not the video card ( hey this is NV25 anyway ). And X-Box don't need >100fps framerates either, just 25-30fps depending on the TV standard ( PAL or NTSC ).

Just as a sidenote, PAL games on the PSX use a frame rate of 50 FPS while NTSC games uss a frame rate of 60 FPS. The PSX2 DOES NOT run at less than 30 FPS! 30FPS is only used for video display I believe.

The figure you're talking about is field per second. Do you ever do video capture in computer? NTSC programmes/games play at 30 frames per second and PAL ones is at 25 frame per second.

ficedula

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: 2001-03-12 01:24:00 »
How I did a copying test: Used a proper benchmarking program which wrote 100MB (configurable; I tried it with 200MB+) of random data to disk. Then it reads in 100MB (again, 200MB+...) of data from a file that's big enough. So *nothing* else on the IDE channel, PCI bus, or *anything* slowing it down. A *pure* data transfer operation.

The SaiNt

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: 2001-03-12 08:17:00 »
Yep, chibi you're right this time!

cHiBiMaRuKo

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: 2001-03-13 08:36:00 »
What program(s) did you use for benchmarking? I sure want to see the program myself!

ficedula

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: 2001-03-13 15:15:00 »
miroTest. Came with my video capture card. You're supposed to use to it to work out how much compression to use on the video you capture, by seeing how quickly the hard disk can write information.

cHiBiMaRuKo

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: 2001-03-14 05:03:00 »

miroTest. Came with my video capture card. You're supposed to use to it to work out how much compression to use on the video you capture, by seeing how quickly the hard disk can write information.

Is your HDD is ATA100 on an ATA100 controller with an 80-pin IDE cable?
Or did you use Windows 2000 with SP1 installed or using Linux no later than 2.3 kernel version or Windows 95/98 original ( not SE )? If yes to the first question, you got a slow HDD there because my UDMA 100 HDD could score consistenly 40MB/s with SiSoft Sandra HDD benchmark ( 25k drive index point ). You should consider IBM 75GXP ATA100 7200 rpm which is fast. I could testify for that  :)

If yes to the second question, then those OS I've mentioned DON'T support UDMA100 even if your hardware do. FYI, I use Windows 2000 with Service Pack 2 RC 2.5, which support UDMA100. So it may explain the low mark you  ( and everyone else ) get there. 20MB/s for a ATA100 HDD ( from any manufacturer ) is slow, as it could go higher than that. No shit about the physical limitations of the HDD because the HDD technology have vastly improved in recent years.