Author Topic: PSX Emulator (FAO Jari, Dag & Friends)  (Read 98691 times)

M0T

• View Profile
PSX Emulator (FAO Jari, Dag & Friends)
« Reply #75 on: 2001-02-23 18:50:00 »
Just changing topic completely here:
What would happen if someone made a virus that got sent to these next gen console (now they are all confirmed to use the net) that erased the bios of the machine? It'd be like the lovebug in that it was really annoying, highly publisised and quite devestating and like the kak worm virus in that it gets everywhere(I dont know if it was just me but we had it 3 times and my friends had it twice).

ficedula

• View Profile
    • http://www.ficedula.co.uk
« Reply #76 on: 2001-02-23 20:18:00 »
If the PS2 costs too much, the XBox won't sell at all.

I don't think the PS2 is overpriced - new consoles always cost a fortune, and it isn't that much above what the PSX cost on release.

Re: Virus: A virus is only possible where executable code is distributed, generally speaking. So if some company made a game which updated itself via the net (quite possible with nextgen consoles) in theory the same technique could be used to send a virus to the console. Of course, all it could really do would be mess up the current game and any memory cards. Unless you had a hard disk installed, when you *are* screwed.

That's also the basic problem with XBox/DirectX. If each game uses the version of DX on it's own CD then you guarantee the game runs OK - but what happens if somebody fixes a bug in DX that makes effects look smoother, etc. Either you can't use it - or you're back to the update-a-rama again.

cHiBiMaRuKo

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 2001-02-23 21:37:00 »
I bet on X-Box success.

PS2 may have backward-compatibility, but unfortunately it isn't perfect. Anyone could say FF Anthology?

X-Box is also easy to program, and you just need DirectX8 SDK for it, unlike PS2 which have to use a dev kit and also come with steep curve of learning. There's will be NO DirectX 9 for X-Box whatsoever or anything like that as all things are handled with Directx8, and with the hardware is streamlined, software companies don't have to deal with multiple hardware configuration anymore. Not to mention it'll come with a HDD and network adapter right from the box. The rumor of X-Box being much expensive than PS2 is a bull. No one knows what's the price yet.

Well, the only thing I don't like about X-Box is their controller....

M0T

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 2001-02-23 23:55:00 »
I think the controller looks odd but this one should fit my hand

eerrrr

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 2001-02-24 15:50:00 »
man it took me ages to read through this topic, but now i can join in! JediMark told me about this thing which cracks Bleem! and stops it from crashing all the time. its at http://psx.4floor.com," TARGET=_blank>http://psx.4floor.com,  but its in another language. anyway i got ff7 running but ive got some probs. the sound's played really slow and the people run around quite fast. is there any way i can change the speed and stuff? and what was that soemone said about some MMX thing? cos im running on an MMX.

The SaiNt

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 2001-02-24 21:27:00 »
okay fice, I'm sorry I posted before you but how was I supposed to know?
BTW, I'm not gonna answer to very much later to see if anyone else has something to say. Then, I'm gonna make a long long post to convey my opinion.

ficedula

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 2001-02-24 21:45:00 »
SaiNt ... I was being sarcastic. Don't worry, you needn't check whether I'm eating lunch before posting  :)

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
« Reply #82 on: 2001-02-26 19:46:00 »
l think Gamecube will be rather successful.  It's supposed to be easier to develop for than PS2 and when it comes out, I bet it's cheaper then X-Box (and cheaper than PS2 was at launch time, too), I think I read somewhere that the launch price is gonna be $200 (same as N64), and I think the developers might to be able to get slightly better graphics out of it if they try hard enough (especially you can get in Gamecube by rendering once the same effects you can get in PS2 by rendering eight times).

Sure, DVD playback and backwards compatibility are nice things to have...  But what if you already have a DVD player and an old system?  (Also, most new computers can play DVDs.)  They're just making the system more expensive so that you can buy stuff that you already have.

They also are already planning some cool looking games - the only problem is Square won't be on that system, more than likely  :(

M0T

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 2001-02-26 19:59:00 »
I suppose if ps2 fails they might go to nintendo, xbox is unlikely as public opinion goes aginst microsoft

ficedula

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 2001-02-26 23:02:00 »
Take all technical claims with a pinch of salt. I haven't read up on the specs for the consoles recently, so Nintendo could be telling the truth when they say Gamecube does in one render what PS2 takes eight, but I guess they're *really* saying:

If you take one particular effect, which we've chosen specifically because Gamecube supports it in hardware and PS2, we can do it in one render what takes the PS2 eight renders. Also, we aren't saying how long a render takes, so it could mean anything.

See what I mean? Technical specs can always be distorted to mean absolutely anything.

As for DVD playback - I think it's gonna be an important feature in consoles. Sure, most PC's (including mine) have DVD playback, but unlike a console, most PC's aren't connected to the main TV. You can't deny it's a nice bonus.

M0T

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 2001-02-26 23:15:00 »
Aaron, did you get that from one of my posts cos if you didn't can you tell me where you read it cos i can't remember.
I know I got that from a independant site who were conducting interviews with different dev companys trying to figure out which one was better. The company that developed for ps2 said about that but not being a problem as they would probably just write a program to do the repetition for them. The other company that did both said that they were less likely to do ps2 because of it. Shows how lazy some developers are, ones gonna write a new prog the other cant be bothered

Aaron

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 2001-02-27 00:38:00 »
I saw that in one of your posts, but I had read it somewhere before, I think it was IGN.  Here's what i got from it...

PS2's hardware can render an effect at a time.  Say to make a polygon (1), apply a texture (2), and make it look "shiny" (3) it has to be rendered 3 times in PS2 and one in Gamecube.  Gamecube can do up to 8 things like that to a polygon in one pass (as can X-Box I think) but PS2 can only do one thing per pass.

M0T

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 2001-02-27 01:23:00 »
Okay here is the exact version that I found:
Gamecube renders up to eight effects layers to a polygon in a single pass, whereas the PS2 features a multi-pass rendering system. So, for example, Gamecube developers can effectively start with the base geometry (1), add a bump-map to it (3), add a dirt map (4), add a gloss map (5), add a reflection map (6), add a radiosity light map (7) and an effects layer of their choice (8) -- all in a single pass. By contrast, PS2 developers would have to re-render the polygon itself for every pass meaning eight times the work to get the same effect. So essentially PS2 has to render 1,000 polygons eight times over whereas Gamecube only has to render 1,000 polygons once for the same effect.
Hope that means something I think it means that with the ps2 each polygon has to be rerendered to get the desired effects whereas the gamecube only does it once- am i right?

ficedula

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 2001-02-27 15:12:00 »
Fair enough; but it doesn't necessarily mean anything. Like I said, maybe the Gamecube is far slower at rendering each polygon when multiple effects are used, so the fact it renders many effects at once just serves to even things out - not necessarily make it faster/better.

dagsverre

• View Profile
    • http://ffsf.cjb.net
« Reply #89 on: 2001-02-27 15:31:00 »
Isn't rerendering the polygon for each pass a much *better* solution? Ever heard about Keep It Simple Stupid (KISS)?

Think about it this way: The X-Box needs lots of functionality to be able to do that eight-effects things. And it doesn't matter one bit if the PSX2 have eight times faster renders.

In addition, what if you want to have brute polygon effecets? The best graphics out there, like the pre-rendered videos, are done because they use so insanely many polygons. They don't necesarrily even texture them, instead they make out the textures from the polygons... So, if you don't want to draw any effects, the PSX2 have the capability of eight times more polygons (well, the X-Box probably isn't eight times slower in rendering so it isn't completely true)

I like the PSX2 bandwidth approach much better. The PC bus was designed for running office applications, not running 3D graphics.

Aaron

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: 2001-02-27 19:21:00 »
> Fair enough; but it doesn't necessarily
> mean anything. Like I said, maybe the
> Gamecube is far slower at rendering
> each polygon when multiple effects are
> used, so the fact it renders many effects
> at once just serves to even things out -
> not necessarily make it faster/better.

From what I read, I think there isn't supposed to be much speed loss from rendering multiple effects at once...  anyway, if the speed loss is too great, the programmers COULD program the games to render 8 times instead of render one polygon for 8 effects, couldn't they?

Anyway, the Gamecube demos I've seen look awesome and I think the system will be great once it comes out, and I don't think its gonna be priced terribly high.  Nintendo may not win, but I think they might come out ahead of Microsoft in the new set of consoles......

ficedula

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 2001-02-27 21:24:00 »
Not necessarily. The gamecube might not be able to render as fast due to bandwidth restrictions, so the doing-everything-in-one-pass is the only  way for them to achieve nice results - and not using special effects wouldn't in that case speed anything up.

This is all pure speculation of course - I'm just saying the only proper way to compare consoles is to actually *compare* them. Since the gamecube and XBox aren't out yet, we can't do that. Any discussion, even based on technical specs, is just guesswork until then.

Aaron

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 2001-02-27 23:14:00 »
Yeah... we know all about PS2, but Microsoft seems to have "stretched" the X-Box's specs (making it look better than it really is) and as for Nintendo, there's a lot of specs we have yet to see, the demos for both look better than a lot of PS2 games in my opinion though... :-)

Aaron

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 2001-02-27 23:16:00 »
Yeah... we know all about PS2, but Microsoft seems to have "stretched" the X-Box's specs (making it look better than it really is) and as for Nintendo, there's a lot of specs we have yet to see, the demos for both look better than a lot of PS2 games in my opinion though... :-)

M0T

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 2001-02-27 23:26:00 »
The playstation2 and the gamecube both have the same memory bandwidth (12.8g/s for textures alone), the gamecube has an extra 1.2gb/s exclusivly for its soundcard which takes load off the main bandwidth (which the ps2 doesn't have) and the xbox has 6.2gb/s for everthing so in terms of bandwidth the gamecube has more than the others

M0T

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 2001-02-27 23:30:00 »
I'm a bad person, I just sent this to squaresoft:
Now I'm sorry for anything that I'm about to say (or write) but I feel that it must be said.
1. Whats the deal with playonline? When I go to your site I expect to get throught to it without encountering the online advertisment for playonline.
2. Why is your web site never updated? I have visited for the past month and very little has been done for it.
3. Why don't you release the rest of the final fantasy series on pc? Not everyone owns a psx or a ps2 and I certainly am not gonna buy one just to play 1 series of games which has been getting worse since ff7. In fact theres absolutly no chance of me (or anyone I know) every buying a ps2 because:
a) The arrogance of sony in thinking that it can try and replace absolutley every format out there with a console plagued by problems which is mediocre at bes. Hell, this console would have been laughed at if it were released without the hype or by anyone else.
b) The fact that it costs too much and has no really decent games on it.
4. When are you guys gonna wake up and realise that this time around with all the next gen consoles the ps2 is not so great as expected and the xbox and gamecube are as good and in some respects better. Also they are more easy to develop for than the ps2 meaning more ff games or you could *spend the time you would usully spend programming the ps2, write a decent plot for the next final fantasys on a par with ff7* now that would be a change, losing some of your money grabbing attitude you have aquired in the last few years and create a good ff game that doesn't sell on the success of the one before that which sold on the succes of the one before that.

If you feel that there is anything I should have added please tell, anyone that tells me I should not have included certain things in can go shove it up their arse

cHiBiMaRuKo

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 2001-02-28 07:39:00 »
Squaresoft will develop for X-Box anyway, so it's a moot point. PS2 will have some great games such as FIFA , Madden , Need For Speed etc and many more from EA. Not to count from other developers such as THQ. I hope that Smackdown 3 will come out for PS2. Good enough reason for me to buy PS2 ( in fact I already have it ).

M0T

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 2001-02-28 19:39:00 »
I would be interested to know where you learnt that squaresoft were planning to release on xbox (I am gonna get gamecube and xbox so it makes no difference) but I'm wondering would any company want to associate with microsoft at the moment because of all its bad press. If I owned a company I wouldn't want to associate my company with a company that has a lot of bad press most of the tim and people spend most of the time cursing to infernal damnation because their products dont work

cHiBiMaRuKo

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 2001-02-28 20:44:00 »
Isn't it official that FF XI will come out in X-Box too along with PS2. I must have read it somewhere in FFO. Microsoft isn't that bad of a company IMHO, some of their products is just excellent, for instance Internet Explorer and Windows 2000 and XP.

M0T

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 2001-02-28 21:44:00 »
I saw thing about ffxi xbox and man do i hope its true, hopefully the games will no longer be released on playstations and on consoles that i actually plan to get. But at this stage isnt xi xbox a bit difficult to do since the specs arnt finalised. I also  found this:
In addition to speaking of XI's online abode, that particular foray has been also scheduled for direct release on PC.
Something about a final fantasy for a handheld which isnt the wonderswan colour