Author Topic: FFXIII: Cloud With Tits Comes Back When No-one Asked Her Too.  (Read 27720 times)

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
So, dat demo, pretty bad.

Discuss.

Fights consist of holding a button, pressing RB/R1, holding a different button, Pressing RB/R1, pressing the guard/evade button, holding another button, pressing RB/R1 repeat to fade.

It's not fun.

The outfit designs are pretty bad too, I can see the Dragoon outfit is meant to look like Kain and the Thief outfit somewhat like Zidane but they're still pretty bad.

Nightmare799

• View Profile
So, dat demo, pretty bad.

Discuss.

Fights consist of holding a button, pressing RB/R1, holding a different button, Pressing RB/R1, pressing the guard/evade button, holding another button, pressing RB/R1 repeat to fade.

It's not fun.

The outfit designs are pretty bad too, I can see the Dragoon outfit is meant to look like Kain and the Thief outfit somewhat like Zidane but they're still pretty bad.

What did you expect? It is SquareEnix for christ sake...

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
I'll have to try this myself. I don't have high expectations for anything with "Final Fantasy XIII" in the name, though.

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
Thumps up for title. 8)
Now it's official, I'm a Lightning hater.  :evil:

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
What did you expect? It is SquareEnix for christ sake...

I expected it to be bad, but not this bad.

ajthedj747

• Looking Forward to 2017
    • View Profile
I like the new Victory Fanfare Theme. I am going to record it as a Wave file so I can edit it into an extended mix. Do you agree that the song is better than the failures?

Nightmare799

• View Profile
I like the new Victory Fanfare Theme. I am going to record it as a Wave file so I can edit it into an extended mix. Do you agree that the song is better than the failures?

I like the last remnant one more.

Hell I like everything in last remnant over FF13 and its sequels.

Thisguyaresick2

I watched this video (SPOILERS IN THE LINK) and the fights are boring as hell. When you're in battle, you can't move freely (you're stuck in a circular arena). Even the Xenogears' Battle Arena minigame can give you more freedom than this game. There's all that guard/evade crap (just like DragonNinja said), and the costume change is just like that Paradigm Shift crap (the only difference is that now you have R1 too). R2, L2, R3 and L3 are apparently useless (probably only 1 of these buttons can give you access to your items). It looks like the only special move she has is Cloud's Omnislash. If Lightning dies in battle, you can use a Phoenix Down on her and continue the battle. There will be guest characters joining your party temporarily (I've seen only Fang), but the fights are still boring.
« Last Edit: 2014-01-23 11:34:48 by Kikoutei »

Travis

• "I control the world with fear."
    • View Profile
After reading up on the ending of this one (mainly due to my being on the fence on buying it, yes Square has been so bad at endings recently i check to make sure i wont be pissed before i buy) I have decided that it'd be a waste to purchase it. This series should have ended after the first XIII and been left at that. They tainted the original so damn much and even the original wasn't that great.

Spoilers from here on...

So apparently Lightning kills the creator and we go to a whole new world... this isn't profound, good, nor does it make any sense. EVEN WITHIN THE XIII MYTHOS IT DOESNT MAKE SENSE

Garbage...

Cyberman

• View Profile
The First in the series I liked (FFXIII) however the second was pretty bad and I'm disspointed that it's gettng worse.

The originator for 13 seemed like a bit too much of a "I'm too good" attitude. HE apparently doesn't like the FF series. I guess this is his way to ruin it further. Square has been going down hill not because they don't have talented people, it's because of doing it for money. Sadly the best software I've seen was always made because of a passion to make the game/ program/ whatever. Not because you can make a buck.

Although the series "looks" good on the surface it suffered from a lot of silly design mistakes that are mostly from unpolished thinking.
FFXII is a much better game in fact they would have been wiser to expand on what FFXII was then to do what they did in 13 (which started OK and went stupid).

Let me see Star Ocean prequal was OK Dungeon Seige 3 ehh I think the problem Ive been having is that Bethesda softworks ES series is no FAR better quality games than anything square has put out in RPGs for the last 10 years. A real shame since Square USE to be decent.

(of course bethesday DOOM was weird admittedly)

Anyhow just my opinion.

PS as a character Lightening in the first of the series was actually one of the best next too Vinille. Unfortunately I suspect the game quality is so bad because the writters and people directing it are bad not the people making the actual game (ahem). Bethesda's games are still VERY open yet have a defined story line so what's up with Square? Can't they do the same? Heck you can make your char be most anything and yet still manage to be part of the story line that's what RPGs are about right? Having fun with the story not feeling beat up by some sadistic narcisistic directors 'ideas"

Cyb

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
Most of this thread reads like this:
"I hate change. Unless it's changed exactly the way I wanted it to. Then it's tolerable. But still bad."

I watched something like 80 hours of the game on SRL. The people who say it's worse than 13 or 13-2: I have an image for you.

Approval Dog has rejected your opinions as invalid.

Turn based combat has been what exactly? Press X, press X, press down, press x, press down, press x, wait, wait, wait, repeat. See how you can make any form of combat look bad? X13-3 combat is more akin to Tales of or even more accurate, Breath of Fire 5 combat than to traditional Final Fantasty. Does that mean it's bad? If you're a narrow minded person, of course it does.

This was your regularly scheduled shit-on-your-opinion post by Kuugen.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Square has been going down hill not because they don't have talented people, it's because of doing it for money. Sadly the best software I've seen was always made because of a passion to make the game/ program/ whatever. Not because you can make a buck.

Precisely.

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
Kuugen, I see your point, but at least all those pressings of X had strategy (try your mod for example). I watched the final boss fight for Lightning Returns, and the player just attacked and then occasionally healed and the boss was just a bullet sponge with six forms that did nothing different and he barely even moved or attacked.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
So, you mean like the final boss fight in FF10 where you were literally immortal?
Or the final boss fights in FF7, where all you did was cast KOTR over and over? (Or slots)
Or the final boss in FF6 where you Joker'd Kefka to death?

Similarly, any boss can be made silly and easy given eneough preparation. No AI is unfailable. Unless it's already enslaving humans, that might be an unfailable AI.
13-3 can have strategy too. If you overlevel or simply find a cookie cutter chain, there is no need for that. if you look at speedrunning it does offer some pretty good possibilities however.

StickySock

• View Profile
"I hate change. Unless it's changed exactly the way I wanted it to. Then it's tolerable. But still bad."
- is what i've read on every FF forum or board or comment section of an article about Square Enix since FF13 came out.

FF13 sucked, but I don't mind experimentation as long as it is good. If it is not, then move on. The only problem is that FF13 is the most despised FF in the series and it is the only one with two full video game sequels. They keep tweaking the gameplay, which is nice, but the writing is still awful and the narrative is basically a lost cause because of it. The franchise will do better once this series is left behind.

I personally believe they are trying to make the most of the engine they made for 13 and background mythology written for it, to try to get the most out of the investment instead of dropping the series like the flop it is. I can't say I blame them, but I think they are hurting the brand and causing more damage than these games can make back in sales. FF15 can't come soon enough!

Cyberman

• View Profile
Turn based combat has been what exactly? Press X, press X, press down, press x, press down, press x, wait, wait, wait, repeat. See how you can make any form of combat look bad? X13-3 combat is more akin to Tales of or even more accurate, Breath of Fire 5 combat than to traditional Final Fantasty. Does that mean it's bad? If you're a narrow minded person, of course it does.

This was your regularly scheduled sh*t-on-your-opinion post by Kuugen.
Change is fine the problem is change for the sake of change is not.
Most people don't like change or ocassional change is OK. I prefer to have order which is change that's organized and not chaotic.
FF10 was pretty fun (hint fun).
FF9 was OK (short but fun)
FF8 a bit strange but fun
FF7 darn fun
FF6 definately fun
FF5 definately fun
FF4 hmmm strange fun ? :D

FF12 damn fun but kind of strangely difficult (I don't read the cheat things so it can be really challenging if you screw something up) that weird beach full of chests for example (sigh).

FF13 the first was fun a bit too much like Xenosaga Episode 1 with all the darned cut scenes though.

Cyb - as I said it's an opinion just like you expressed

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
FFXIII's combat could've worked well with a better meta-game around it. If they'd ditched the crystarium for something a little more like the sphere grid or license board, where you get to choose how your characters develop in meaningful ways instead of just filling up a meter with occasional dead-end branches, it could've been decent. It would've required players to keep formations/paradigms in mind all the time instead of just choosing two obvious ones and switching back and forth to heal, and to deliberately build each character to serve different purposes. Sort of an unenforced job system made by the player out of necessity. That would've been fantastic.

Instead we get characters are functionally almost identical except for summons, and combat where there's only one right way to do things anyway and it's usually obvious, making the menus almost superfluous busy work. I am 100% fine that they ditched this for something new. I can't speak to how good or bad the new system is, but at worst it's just as pointless, and at best it's an improvement. Either way it was worth the experimentation.

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
The battle system of the FF series isn't the problem. SE had enveloped with every new FF a better battle system (the one of FFXIII is amazing if you compare it in its tactical depth and speed). The problem lies in the way they are telling a story.
For example, in Mass Effect is it optional to read the library for understanding the story (it was simply a nice addition), in FF XIII it was a must to read it. It took hours until I was able to distinguish L'Cie from Fal'Cie.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
(the one of FFXIII is amazing if you compare it in its tactical depth and speed).
Not really. Almost all of the tactical depth comes from setting up paradigms, which is done outside of combat when you don't have to worry about speed. What's more, there's pretty much one "correct solution" that can be used throughout the whole game.

This game makes me sad because they had a bunch of innovative ideas and not a one of them lived up to its potential. If, instead of paradigms, players had to switch manually per-character, and if out of battle they had to choose what roles to buff for each character, there could've been a lot more depth. As it is, the whole game pretty much relies on alternating saboteur and commando, with the occasional switch to medic when you're low on health. Sure, there are other roles and strategies, but the most obvious one is so reliable that there's little point to bothering with the others.

StickySock

• View Profile
FFXIII's combat could've worked well with a better meta-game around it. If they'd ditched the crystarium for something a little more like the sphere grid or license board, where you get to choose how your characters develop in meaningful ways instead of just filling up a meter with occasional dead-end branches, it could've been decent...

...I am 100% fine that they ditched this for something new. I can't speak to how good or bad the new system is, but at worst it's just as pointless, and at best it's an improvement. Either way it was worth the experimentation.
Agreed 100%.

The problem lies in the way they are telling a story.
I agree and the fictional mythology is actually pretty interesting, but my god the execution is horrendous.

Sure, there are other roles and strategies, but the most obvious one is so reliable that there's little point to bothering with the others.
I agree, the times when the game requires strategizing beyond what you find to work through 95% of the game is with the few optional megabosses. When you engage them, the game's combat is somewhat enjoyable, as coming up with ways to handle these foes can be quite the creative exercise (as long as you don't do walkthroughs). If they could have found a way to give incentive to players to experiment more with roles like you can at the optional bosses, and made the crystarium anything more than a glorified standard level up system, the gameplay portion (outside of the extreme linearity) would have been good.

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions

Chrysalis

• ESUI Developer
  • Global moderator
    • View Profile
FF13-3 is no way a sequel to FF13 in anything other than story.  Looking at the video its not the same battle system , they may claim it is but it isnt.

FF13 was like a fast paced version of FF7 ATB which allows queuing of multiple commands and that some commands have higher usage cost (multiple ATB bars).  With AI controlled allies.

It was certianly a shock to the system for turn based fans as myself however after I got used to the game it was still a good game.  Also surprisingly not much bugs considering how bad square are at releasing games with bugs.

FF13-2 copied FF13's battle system so a sequel but in my opinion a not as good game, down to 2 party members from 6 with a monster assisting, FMV's significantly reduced replaced with cheaper to make in game sequences.  Areas copied for low cost production.  Game balance completely messed up (way too easy compared to FF13 which was balanced very well.)

Now here is the thing, some may not admit this.  FF7 is a good game, however it suffers from a flaw which is common in many jrpg's which is it has many near useless abilities, how often in FF7 do you bother to confuse, sleep, slow enemies etc.  Or do you just hit with your hardest hit attack repeatedly to get through fights, eg. 4x cut, ultima, kotr.  FF13 is the first jrpg I played in a long time where spamming attack is not efficient.  You have to utilise enemy weaknesses to efficently kill them and boss fights were genuinly diffilcult without having to nerf yourself.  Of course it seems many casual people complained and FF13-2 reverted to type, so enemies with low HP counts and basically spamming attack works much better in FF13-2 than in FF13, but FF13-2 is still a reasonable game.

Funny enough I am not a big fan of FF10, I think that has a bad level up system (having to use all characters every battle if want to give them exp), also no normal stat increases.

The tales games in my opinion (as well as star ocean games) do not compare to FF13-3, the tales games still feel like a jrpg (action based jrpg) as you have a party still and not zoomed in.  Lightning returns FF13-3 looks like a action game with rpg elements, it seems square no longer want to be a jrpg developer.  Instead going for outstanding visuals and action to please western casual gamers. Withn 5 years it will be first person view for a FF game.

Turn based games can still work, think of lost oddysey, absolutely brilliant game.  The problem is now days profit is king, making a game that appeals to the masses is more interesting to publishers than making a great playing game for a niche market.

A remake of FF7 which has hard, ultra hard modes and a new game+ would be fantastic.  But it wont come.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
FF7 gave you a choice of what to do and had real effort placed into it.  FF13 was a dumbed down game for the masses.  FF7 may have had poor implementation of its battle system, but that battle system was infinitely more jrpg, and engaging than anything that came from 12 onwards.  With proper implementation, 7 could be far better than it was, with the same battle system.  7 also had a decent story and good pacing... not just a literal gauntlet play through. 

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
FF7 gave you a choice of what to do and had real effort placed into it.  FF13 was a dumbed down game for the masses...

You're not wrong, but the dumbed down difficulty in FF7 was also a appeal to the masses.

On FF7 there was a team passionate about their work. On FF13 there were a bunch of people doing their job. At least that the impression I got. It's noticeable. Same thing with Mass effect 3. A real shame.

15 LOOKS good. Very good. At this point though, I wont be surprised if the only thing good is the looks. Great graphics with mediocre gameplay is my guess. I want to be proven wrong. What I'm almost 100% certain of is that I wont like the characters. Sqyeeny has turned into a generic anime character making machine.

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: 2021-10-28 17:07:46 by dkma841 »