Author Topic: [FF7] Bootleg, multitude of problems.  (Read 10210 times)

Sparrow421

• View Profile
[FF7] Bootleg, multitude of problems.
« on: 2014-07-31 02:09:29 »
This is my first time messing around with modding FF7.

I used bootleg for my first attempt. I got it installed and working no problem. The problem is i want to disable some things im not seeing in the program. Things like, companions literally following cloud (barret becomes bugged on the ladders at the first reactor and it crashes my game). Also the music seems pretty wacked out. I will be battling and i get random battle themes, like the chocobo music will start playing in a random battle its just makes things weird. I messed around with this and the pack that is causing this is the mp3 (remix) pack. I don't know how to change it. Also i cant turn the volume down, i tried using my volume mixer in windows but as soon as i focus the game again it goes back to full volume. There is also the issue of the bottom of the screen (where the command and battle timer menu is) is just a black background, it's weird and hard to explain but it doesn't bother me much i can play fine with it. All the other problems just caused me to uninstall ff7 and delete all the mods to start over again. I want to do things right this time so here i am.

Basically all i want is the HQ textures and animations, with the nightmare conversion mod, and the HQ OST. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
Re: [FF7] Bootleg, multitude of problems.
« Reply #1 on: 2014-07-31 03:02:06 »
Nightmare causes characters to follow you and change the music. You need to install Nightmare's OST pack. Please note that if you use the Windows mixer and lower only the ff7.exe volume, music will not be affected as they are played through FF7Music.exe instead. The black bar at the bottom of the screen is normal behavior.

-Vgr

Sparrow421

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2014-07-31 03:37:31 »
Nightmare causes characters to follow you and change the music. You need to install Nightmare's OST pack. Please note that if you use the Windows mixer and lower only the ff7.exe volume, music will not be affected as they are played through FF7Music.exe instead. The black bar at the bottom of the screen is normal behavior.

-Vgr
So is there no way to edit that stuff out of nightmare conversion? If not im just not going to play it. The random music is what is bugging me the most. I guess that is nightmare aswell?

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2014-07-31 05:10:29 »
As I stated, you need to install Nightmare's OST pack.

Sparrow421

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2014-07-31 05:39:05 »
As I stated, you need to install Nightmare's OST pack.
Does bootlegger not install it with the mod? Not trying to be annoying here sorry. I cant seem to figure out a way to switch the ost. Im using FF7music but there isn't an option to change what sound pack is being used. I can only remove paths but when i do what to the mp3(remix) there is no sound. Am i missing something here?

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #5 on: 2014-07-31 08:43:23 »
If you downloaded the OST part of N7, bootleg SHOULD install that when it installs N7. The whole install method will be overhauled in a week or so when the music changes to looping oggs and will simply be placed into a folder, not requiring ff7music, since Aalis new driver works like that. You probably cannot install any music packs over N7 OST or it will overwrite the files. You could manually install FF7music but I don't know if it even works with the latest version of aalis driver.

The "random" music is four battle BGMs. Of course it's unfitting nonsense if the required OST is not installed. To elaborate, this would be 3 of the 4 battle BGMs with the custom OST installed. (Note, this is mp3s, not the looped ogg)
http://tindeck.com/listen/mqaz
http://tindeck.com/listen/eaxh
http://tindeck.com/listen/vybn

Also, the following around is only in reactor 1 and Jessie even tells you what to do, ingame, when you get stuck (press start)

The other issues are not related to Nightmare.

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2014-07-31 14:02:20 »
Bootleg does not currently use the latest version of Aali's driver, and as such the MP3s need to stick until next release, where we implement all the latest mods.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: 2014-07-31 14:35:15 »
The Bootleg.log will tell you what is installed. When you select N7 in the BFE, the soundtrack options should immediately gray out. This is to prevent anyone from accidentally installing a different soundtrack that won't fit with the N7 scripting. I don't believe FF7Music works anymore with Aali's 0.8+. Any music involved with those drivers are found in the music\vgmstream folder and have to be looping .ogg files.

Sparrow421

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2014-07-31 20:28:15 »
If you downloaded the OST part of N7, bootleg SHOULD install that when it installs N7. The whole install method will be overhauled in a week or so when the music changes to looping oggs and will simply be placed into a folder, not requiring ff7music, since Aalis new driver works like that. You probably cannot install any music packs over N7 OST or it will overwrite the files. You could manually install FF7music but I don't know if it even works with the latest version of aalis driver.

The "random" music is four battle BGMs. Of course it's unfitting nonsense if the required OST is not installed. To elaborate, this would be 3 of the 4 battle BGMs with the custom OST installed. (Note, this is mp3s, not the looped ogg)
http://tindeck.com/listen/mqaz
http://tindeck.com/listen/eaxh
http://tindeck.com/listen/vybn

Also, the following around is only in reactor 1 and Jessie even tells you what to do, ingame, when you get stuck (press start)

The other issues are not related to Nightmare.

I have never heard those Mp3's before, it plays the standard ff7 music in battle but it is random ones, like the chocobo encounter or jenova's theme, sometimes it will play fighting too but i only want it to play fighting in random encounters, chocobo theme when i encounter a chocobo, ect...

Idk what happened bootleg installed the "custom" theme but it is not selected and does not play ingame. it also installed the remastered OST which doesn't play and the mp3 (remix) which is the folder being played.

Also pressing start didn't help as it was barret bugged on the pipes down the ladders right after talking with jesse. He just keeps running forward. If i climb the ladder back up from the save point with cloud where barret is, cloud will start running forward and i have to restart the game. Pressing start did not help.

I will most likely just try this again when you guys get the mod updated, the textures and everything look great so i may just try an install for now without nightmare conversion.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #9 on: 2014-07-31 22:31:54 »
"I also installed the remastered ost and the mp3(remix)"
well obviously there is your problem
You completely borked ff7 music with that

but i only want it to play fighting in random encounters, chocobo theme when i encounter a chocobo,
Then you can not play the mod as the rotating battle BGM is in every field.

Also pressing start didn't help
You didn't map your start key correctly. The way the code is setup this isn't possible unless the controls themselves are borked.

I will most likely just try this again when you guys get the mod updated
Stop talking like any of these issues are my fault or that of the mod. The music issue is not only completely your fault but wouldn't come as a surprise if you had read the damn release post for the mod at least once. And the getting stuck issue is also on your side as nobody else has ever reported this happening.

You can try again when you learned how to not destroy your own installation of the game.

Sparrow421

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2014-07-31 23:05:21 »
well obviously there is your problem
You completely borked ff7 music with that
Then you can not play the mod as the rotating battle BGM is in every field.
You didn't map your start key correctly. The way the code is setup this isn't possible unless the controls themselves are borked.
Stop talking like any of these issues are my fault or that of the mod. The music issue is not only completely your fault but wouldn't come as a surprise if you had read the damn release post for the mod at least once. And the getting stuck issue is also on your side as nobody else has ever reported this happening.

You can try again when you learned how to not destroy your own installation of the game.
First off i said "it installed" not "I" It reffering to the bootleg program, don't change my text to cast blame.
Second i want the game to merely play the proper music for the correct situation. I did not know the music was supposed to be random.
Also i didn't say it was anyone's fault i stated that i will try again later since the mod was going to be updated.

This is my first shot at modding this game which i stated in the OP, im not looking for little assholes like you with your condescending text to sling blame when you obviously misread my post and even went as far as to change my text in your quote. This is a troubleshooting thread so please kindly and politely fuck off if your not going to help. Thanks.

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2014-08-01 01:10:00 »
First off i said "it installed" not "I" It referring to the bootleg program, don't change my text to cast blame.
Second i want the game to merely play the proper music for the correct situation. I did not know the music was supposed to be random.
Also i didn't say it was anyone's fault i stated that i will try again later since the mod was going to be updated.

It is said in the official N7 threat. Bootleg is an install helper, created to make the installation process a bit more comfortable for a bunch of mods, not a tool for blindly installing mods because they seem to be cool. Don't install things without to know what they are doing. This is a general advice not only for moding.
N7 isn't made for the masses, so Tengo Kuugen has to deal often with 'Why is it so hard!?' or 'What have you done to the story!?' or 'I don't like the way it plays the music!'. That he will have an unpleasant behavior to people who has problems with his mod, because they use it in an unpredictable way should be a bit understandable.
There are some mods out there, which can't combined with others and maybe it's the fault of Bootleg to not warn you properly, but it is also an user error. Inform yourself about the mods you want to use. Maybe the next bootleg is more user friendly. But please keep in mind people are sacrifice their free time for the mods and tools so take a rude answer not as offensive against you, sometimes they are simply annoyed by answer the same questions again and again. ;)

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2014-08-01 02:15:54 »
First off i said "it installed" not "I" It reffering to the bootleg program, don't change my text to cast blame.

This is my first shot at modding this game which i stated in the OP, im not looking for little assholes like you with your condescending text to sling blame when you obviously misread my post and even went as far as to change my text in your quote. This is a troubleshooting thread so please kindly and politely fuck off if your not going to help. Thanks.

Actually, it does play the current music for the right situation. You installation was done wrong.

You didn't say it was anyone's fault, you said you would try the mod later. That's blaming your issue on the mod. Kuugen made that mod. Therefore you are (unjustifiably) blaming Kuugen. You nullified your own point.

You're not looking for little assholes, so you're going to be one? Makes sense there.

Without any further info, I can almost guarantee that you have the Steam version, that you downloaded the Bootleg and ran it without doing anything else such as run the Game Converter before applying it.

Kuugen might be harsh, but he's contributed a lot more to this community than you have, and since you're using his mod you should at least show some respect, and not tell them to "politely and kindly go fuck yourself" when they're actually telling you what's wrong. And he was trying to help.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2014-08-01 02:20:11 »
A little too much drama in this thread, fellas.  Let's keep it friendly.

Sparrow421

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2014-08-01 07:14:40 »
I apologize guys i was a little out of line, just i felt i was unjustly jumped on for just looking for help.

@vgr i did use the game converter. I actually followed the step by step here http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=13212.0 precisely.

@Kaldarasha i found nightmare conversion though using bootleg. I googled it watched a youtube vid of it read a few comments about it and thought i would try it. I did not realize there was an official thread for the mod. So that is my bad.

@Tenko I really enjoyed what i got to play of your mod man. I love hardcore challenges and i don't mind if there is story changing a bit (i have played the original game enough its time for something different). I apologize for what i said but people are going to have issues with it man, it is to be expected. Maybe mine is an issue you haven't faced yet? If you would like to start over maybe we can work it out together?

Thanks for the replies guys sorry for the trouble.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #15 on: 2014-08-01 10:12:50 »
Where did you even download it if not from the official thread? Because I can't support anything that doesn't come from my release post. And as was previously said, always read the release post for a mod. Not just install it. Especially if something is titled a game conversion. To quote from it:

Rotating Battle BGM in fields ( Not world map ). Rotates between 4 BGMs.

The music works if the OST is installed. I already went over this.

The start button un-stuck script is made to work no matter what is happening, even if you're in the middle of a textbox. It will reset you to the room entrance. Change your start key and try again. Otherwise something much more fundamental than the music is broken as well.

The story is new from scratch and has very little to do with the original story. Some things are even the complete opposite.

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2014-08-01 12:45:10 »
Where did you even download it if not from the official thread?

Probably Tifa's Bootleg Mods Package by EQ2Alyza, containing your official release as of 12.31.2012

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #17 on: 2014-08-01 13:17:46 »
There have been a virtual ton of bugfixes since then and also extensions to the mod. I'm not going to support 18 month old version.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #18 on: 2014-08-01 14:07:05 »
It's okay Kuugen, we won't ever ask for your support with the current Bootleg version. We know it's outdated at this point, which is just one of many reasons why we're working on a new Bootleg release. Until then, you MUST stick with the Nightmare files from the download link or torrent. The code won't read any other versions and wont install them, thus breaking the mod.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #19 on: 2014-08-01 19:04:31 »
That doesn't stop them from manually overriding the old files with the files I provide in my thread.

Mcindus

• Artist, Modder, Musician.
    • View Profile
    • Lunatic Pandora
« Reply #20 on: 2014-08-02 20:53:17 »
Stop talking like any of these issues are my fault or that of the mod. The music issue is not only completely your fault but wouldn't come as a surprise if you had read the damn release post for the mod at least once.

This is the unfortunate side-effect of free mods.  No customer service department.  ;)
If you need extra care and help with something (that is already posted on the forums elsewhere... especially the original post), it is extremely frustrating to the community when fingers start getting pointed.  Especially since time is money - and none of us are making any real money off of the time and love we put into this.  It feels like a personal attack, when in fact it's just frustration butting heads on both ends.

N7 isn't made for the masses, so Tengo Kuugen has to deal often with 'Why is it so hard!?' or 'What have you done to the story!?' or 'I don't like the way it plays the music!'. That he will have an unpleasant behavior to people who has problems with his mod, because they use it in an unpredictable way should be a bit understandable.
There are some mods out there, which can't combined with others and maybe it's the fault of Bootleg to not warn you properly, but it is also an user error. Inform yourself about the mods you want to use. Maybe the next bootleg is more user friendly. But please keep in mind people are sacrifice their free time for the mods and tools so take a rude answer not as offensive against you, sometimes they are simply annoyed by answer the same questions again and again. ;)

I personally feel that if you need extra troubleshooting assistance other than what's provided (unless it's a huge legitimate bug that hasn't been addressed before -- and even then...) that you should donate to the creator of the mod.  Even a small amount.  Not only does it show personal investment and thoughtfulness (which is what we're giving you!), I consider modding an art.  And since the Renaissance and before, art has had its patrons - otherwise you only get what you -can- get with the limited resources available.  On one hand, this forces a really interesting peaceful coexistence with artists, designers, and programmers (and sometimes people who are all three!) But on the other hand, it creates large rifts of time between when the artist can find time to work on it.  These are just observations from witnessing countless hours of wasted debate over troubleshooting and whatnot.

I also kind of feel that Square Enix owes this forum something for bringing thousands of people to its games in the form of re-imagined nostalgia over the years.  After-all, re-playability is one of the largest facets of future profit projections in the industry today.  Every time someone puts out an update to an awesome mod like this - it's almost like a MMORPG patch... getting people to play the game with a fresh sense of wonder... all over again... for the 3rd, 4th, or (in some cases) 25th playthrough.  :mrgreen:  I mean... could you imagine if Bootleg was sponsored by SE?  As DLC?  I think it would be amaze-balls for everyone involved... especially if SE acted only as a Publisher and didn't try to take over the project. (and why would they when they can just pay to get something that already works? without their own r&d? lol)

Just a few thoughts... sorry it got ranty.

Vgr

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2014-08-02 21:47:51 »
[...] could you imagine if Bootleg was sponsored by SE?  As DLC?  [...]

That would mean a ton more work for the small group that is the Bootleg Dev. Team, and I'm not too appealed by this :P And knowing Square they'd be like "this belongs to us" and steal the project altogether, and we wouldn't be able to do anything about it.

To answer your question, nope :P But I get your point, and I agree that this forums did bring SE more money. At one or another they probably noticed this, and this is why these forums are still around.