Author Topic: FF7 Crisis Core Upscale Project  (Read 125000 times)

olearyf2525

• View Profile
Re: FF7 Crisis Core Upscale Project
« Reply #25 on: 2020-07-08 08:23:48 »
Thanks Devina and EQProg for all your work.

eqprog

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2020-07-08 21:23:05 »
Thanks!

I probably spent way too much time on this than necessary but at least I had fun!  :-D

Devina

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2020-07-08 22:32:39 »
Here's what I got so far:

000000006bff1e383c584e48= ui_upscale\purple_guy.png
000000007519b4019bf0ae34 = ui_upscale\moogle.png
00000000023139f0a7afe217 = ui_upscale\save.png
00000000020f6f462a6c78de = ui_upscale\tonberry.png
00000000674ff67b2a5c490f = ui_upscale\firebirdy.png
000000004a7329da2da6e84d = ui_upscale\cactuar.png
0000000026800ae51447f3eb = ui_upscale\big_statue_man.png
00000000c37657bc28a1af6d = ui_upscale\silver_summon.png
#00000000ccb0c441669d523d = ui_upscale\gray_summon.png
000000001df8a8bc1b09c63f = ui_upscale\ifrit.png

If I find the rest, I'll let you know (I think they may appear during Chocobo Mode).

Some of the screenshots that occur a lot during Angeal/Tseng aren't upscaled and they're a bit random so I'll keep a list of what I find for those).

Right now I'm in Nibelheim, here's some updates:

For some reason, I found this texture in the files but I'm unsure whether this sign is (I found 4 in the main village), if anyone knows where this is in the game, please let me know:

I just discovered a texture error (I'll try to edit the door texture later to fix this):

I think the directory looks good although I have a few concerns. I find it very hard to read, I wonder if you can reduce the transparency?

Also, why does it say Shinra was founded in 1902? Is this based on canon?
If not, I would remove it since while I think adding flavor text is necessary sometimes, if it adds non-canon info, it's too much on the iffy side for me.
« Last Edit: 2020-07-09 00:59:28 by Devina »

eqprog

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 2020-07-09 00:14:15 »
Still looking good. I fixed the flavor text to something less specific.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2020-07-09 01:13:57 »
Not sure what the cannon year is it was founded
If I'm remembering right, the year 3 is when before crisis starts.  Jenova was initially sealed in year 0, and then in the year 2000 they reset it to 0 again.  So year 3 is really 2003.  Or something like that.

Devina

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2020-07-09 01:27:07 »
I found all the summon icons, I edited my post above.

"Grey summon" is Bahamut (00000000ccb0c4418a8a8aaf), but it's already in the npc folder so it doesn't matter.

JBedford128

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2020-07-09 14:31:05 »
More flavor text in Hojo's lab:

The container in the Shinra science lab: In the original it says "SHINRA-01", which it appears you've changed to read "JENOVA". Jenova's not even being housed there at the time you visit it in Crisis Core. Sephiroth's Nibelheim freakout would probably have happened much earlier if he ever stumbled across that.

The mansion is called "Shinra Manor" in the localisation.

I believe "PA" here stands for "Parking Area", which is a wasei-eigo term. You might consider changing it to something more understandable, like maybe a circled/boxed "P".

If I'm remembering right, the year 3 is when before crisis starts.  Jenova was initially sealed in year 0, and then in the year 2000 they reset it to 0 again.  So year 3 is really 2003.  Or something like that.
Something like that. At the very start of Crisis Core is the date appears on the screen, [ μ ] – εγλ 2000. FFWiki says this is the same as [ μ ] – εγλ 0000, but I don't know where that comes from.

The modern era starts from [ ν ] - εγλ 0001. No Year 0.

Since FFVII, dates tend to get written this way. [ era ] - εγλ YYYY. I don't know if dates appear as just YYYY anywhere in Crisis Core.

Devina

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2020-07-09 16:08:46 »
Good catch on the Shinra Manor, I looked in-game and it definitely says Manor on the Zone Information. I'll change it accordingly.

Do you have a source on the SHINRA-01? It's not that I don't believe you, I'm just really curious and want to see how it's written so I can best replicate it. I looked up a scene online and couldn't see any text.

JBedford128

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2020-07-09 17:21:51 »
If this is the original textured version, it's blurry but I assume that's what I can make out.

eqprog

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2020-07-09 17:24:21 »
If you look at the screenshot you posted in the previous page you can see the text. I don’t know if it says Shinra or not, really. I think it’s the closest thing. Tbh I’m not really a “lore/canon guy” in that I don’t care, personally. However I understand why people do. In the future if there is something I can’t figure out I’ll post it here.

WillGaRd

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 2020-07-09 21:57:22 »
Hi guys, sorry to bother you but i have a question. I have installed the texture, but sometimes in combat i see spike lags that are a bit a problem. I've listen even some corruption in the musics. should i change something in the PPSSPP settings?

Thank you for the patience  :D
« Last Edit: 2020-07-09 22:16:20 by WillGaRd »

eqprog

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2020-07-10 01:42:04 »
Hard to say... what are your settings now?
What hardware do you have? (PC?)

Devina

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2020-07-10 07:13:09 »
Some nice news, I'm basically done most of my work on the game.
I think the rest of it is pretty stable.

Something interesting, I found out where the sign texture above is used.
When you drag Cloud out of Nibelheim, the game changes to a texture where two opposite directions are used on one sign:

I wonder if this is a texture goof, but I think it might be a subtle clue that the village Zack/Cloud visit years after waking up has been rebuilt, and Shinra accidentally messed up the sign directions, so I left it in my HD version.

Here's some things I plan to work on so eqprog and me aren't doing the same stuff:

-Midgar logo on truck in Exhibit room
-License plate on truck in Loveless alleyway
-Cryo containers in lab in Shinra Manor basement (they're poorly upscaled)
-There's a small glitch on the bed blanket in the Shinra Manor
-Briefing room item pods
-Shinra text on blockade in Junon

The cobblestone floor in Loveless alley is still poorly upscaled but I'll leave it for now in case eqprog wants to do it.
« Last Edit: 2020-07-10 07:14:49 by Devina »

WillGaRd

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2020-07-10 11:12:29 »
Hard to say... what are your settings now?
What hardware do you have? (PC?)
Specifics of my PC are:
CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K 4.00 Ghz
RAM: 16GB DDR3 800 Mhz Dual Channel
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070
(i posted only the usefull hardware :D)

As for options in PPSSPP, can i post some images here?

WillGaRd

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2020-07-10 11:36:28 »
I've seen that the memories of Zack when the DMW activate are not retexturized. Will you modify them in the future, or you want to touch only the main textures?

P.S. the spike lag happen most of the time when a battle start (when "activate combat mode" appear).

WillGaRd

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2020-07-10 12:12:18 »
Bug Report:

In the first visit of Wutai, when Zack examine the Leviathan statue, the first sentence he said to the crescents, he don't move the mouth.
After defeated the two anti-shinra monsters every sentence that he speaks, are spoken with the mouth closed untill the CGI.
« Last Edit: 2020-07-10 12:15:02 by WillGaRd »

WillGaRd

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2020-07-10 12:14:39 »
Bug Report:

In the first visit of Wutai, when Zack examine the Leviathan statue, the fist sentence he said to the crescents, he don't move the mouth.
After defeated the two anti-shinra monsters every sentence that he speaks, are spoken with the mouth closed untill the CGI.
First sentence*

eqprog

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2020-07-10 12:23:31 »
You can post images here.

As far as the bug report, that is weird. It doesn’t behave that way for me.

We actually have pretty similar hardware, except I have a 1080. I also use an SSD for storage.. maybe that’s the difference?

WillGaRd

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2020-07-10 12:48:13 »
You can post images here.

As far as the bug report, that is weird. It doesn’t behave that way for me.

We actually have pretty similar hardware, except I have a 1080. I also use an SSD for storage.. maybe that’s the difference?
mmh... i use an M.2 for the emulator, but the iso is on my HDD.

eqprog

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2020-07-10 19:59:41 »
Did you download the files from the github repo or from google drive? It probably doesn’t make a difference here, but the version on google drive is a little older. If you’re using that version, I will try to get the latest release uploaded to google drive for you sometime soon - I’m at work now. (Lurkers - I will be doing this anyways. It takes me a little over an hour to upload everything because my upload speed is slow. Keeping the drive version up to date is inconvenient for me).

As far as performance goes, moving the ISO to the same drive might help.  I’m using a regular SSD and I’m not having the issues you’re having or at least not very often.  Without getting too technical I think it’s reasonable to assume the issue is how texture replacement is implemented by the PPSSPP emulator. There are more texture files that the emulator needs compared to the number of texture files the ISO actually contains. I don’t think the developers had complete texture replacement packs in mind when designing it, but rather stuff like replacing textures for the main characters, UI, or whatever.

I think the audio issues are caused because your system is loading the replaced textures as soon as the game “needs” them, slowing down performance. The audio shudders/distorts because it trying to stay in sync what’s being displayed on screen. As far as I know they aren’t preloading or caching any of the replaced textures in RAM, either.

As we continue working on the project, the over all file size is slowly going down because the files are getting optimized. Hopefully we can get the file size reduced enough to alleviate some of the performance issues.

WillGaRd

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2020-07-10 20:20:54 »
Did you download the files from the github repo or from google drive? It probably doesn’t make a difference here, but the version on google drive is a little older. If you’re using that version, I will try to get the latest release uploaded to google drive for you sometime soon - I’m at work now. (Lurkers - I will be doing this anyways. It takes me a little over an hour to upload everything because my upload speed is slow. Keeping the drive version up to date is inconvenient for me).

As far as performance goes, moving the ISO to the same drive might help.  I’m using a regular SSD and I’m not having the issues you’re having or at least not very often.  Without getting too technical I think it’s reasonable to assume the issue is how texture replacement is implemented by the PPSSPP emulator. There are more texture files that the emulator needs compared to the number of texture files the ISO actually contains. I don’t think the developers had complete texture replacement packs in mind when designing it, but rather stuff like replacing textures for the main characters, UI, or whatever.

I think the audio issues are caused because your system is loading the replaced textures as soon as the game “needs” them, slowing down performance. The audio shudders/distorts because it trying to stay in sync what’s being displayed on screen. As far as I know they aren’t preloading or caching any of the replaced textures in RAM, either.

As we continue working on the project, the over all file size is slowly going down because the files are getting optimized. Hopefully we can get the file size reduced enough to alleviate some of the performance issues.
I see what you're saying :D. I used textures for monster hunter 4U and if i didn't mistake, those are more or less 1,4GB. About this package of thextures, sometimes on my screen i see a message who say that the textures trying to adaptate to FullHD. Are you working in QHD/2k?

I Downloaded the github version because of your warnings in the main page hahahaha. As for the Audio issues, think i resolved them changing the audio in the PSP2 options putting the "compatibility filter"

The only thing i can do now is waiting for the complete project, sadly im not so competent in this kind of modifications. I don't even know how to start  :'( .
All I can say is that i really believe in this your work and that i'm your greatest fan :D :D :D

Good Work and good luck!!!

P.S. Is this project compatible with other versions of the game or only for ULUS10336
P.P.S. If i can do something to help, pelse ask! :D (you only need to say to me what should i study for the project  8-) :P

eqprog

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2020-07-10 20:41:27 »
As far as I know, it’s only compatible with the ULUS10336 as far as I know. I haven’t tried it on other versions yet. I do speak Spanish, so I’ve considered making a version for that as well. But again, the way texture replacement is implemented in the emulator makes conversion to another language difficult. The way the game replaces the textures is based on memory addresses the emulator uses for each texture. That’s why the file names for the textures are all hexadecimal to correspond with the memory address. I haven’t tried it yet but the memory addresses are almost certainly going to change with another language.

Edit: you know, converting the texture pack should be pretty easy, in theory. If I could get a dump of all the textures for whichever language, it should be easy to the filehash from the dumps and cross-reference it with the English dumps and just translate the textures.ini file over. The fonts would have to be redone for a language but I think if I make the tool then I’ll leave the fonts up to the community.

After the English version is completed I wouldn’t mind playing through the Spanish version myself to get a new texture database and try making a conversion tool.
« Last Edit: 2020-07-10 22:00:34 by eqprog »

eqprog

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2020-07-12 18:09:06 »
Here’s an updated link for those who prefer downloading the release from Google Drive. It should include all of the updates up through July 11, 2020.

Download FF7CCUP on Google Drive.

Devina

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2020-07-12 20:47:57 »
Not my best work (it's hard to get the right font), but it's passable for now:

Also, you know how to desaturate using the lasso tool, right?

You should go into the character textures and and desaturate the uniforms and Zack's hair (and whatever has chromatic abberation) to get rid of the blue areas. I don't want to touch the characters now since you said you're working on them.
« Last Edit: 2020-07-12 20:55:52 by Devina »

eqprog

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 2020-07-12 21:37:55 »
I know how to do it. I actually use the brush and set the blending mode to “Color” and select the color from the original texture. Are you using the latest build? I thought that I did mostly fix that, at least for the sweater on the zack models. I need to go and fix up Angeal and the other random soldier models that use basically the same skin.
« Last Edit: 2020-07-12 21:57:58 by eqprog »