Author Topic: Final Fantasy VIII game text editor.  (Read 18923 times)

zathoraus

Final Fantasy VIII game text editor.
« on: 2009-02-13 03:18:14 »
 Well first of all, hello all!!! This is my first post!!! I've been trying to find a way to edit FFVIII in game text so I can tweak the existing story line a bit. I have been researching for days. I wish I new C#/C++ but I don't have a clue when it come to that. I have Microsoft Visual Studio Pro 2008 and I don't even know how to use it LOL. I read here about using Wallmarket but I don't know how to find or make Kernel.bin. also when I use EIGHT.exe to view some of the FIELD files .msd all the dialogue is jibberish. and the 3,4,5,6,7 files show error this dialogue should have never been shown. I have hexeditor as well but again I'm not a programmer I don't know how to interpit code. So I was wondering if someone can steer this noob in the right direction. like maybe how to utilize the tools I have or download another program that mey simplify the text editing task. Thanks in advance for your help.

ff7rules

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy VIII game text editor.
« Reply #1 on: 2009-02-13 11:08:32 »
Well first of all, hello all!!! This is my first post!!! I've been trying to find a way to edit FFVIII in game text so I can tweak the existing story line a bit. I have been researching for days. I wish I new C#/C++ but I don't have a clue when it come to that. I have Microsoft Visual Studio Pro 2008 and I don't even know how to use it LOL. I read here about using Wallmarket but I don't know how to find or make Kernel.bin. also when I use EIGHT.exe to view some of the FIELD files .msd all the dialogue is jibberish. and the 3,4,5,6,7 files show error this dialogue should have never been shown. I have hexeditor as well but again I'm not a programmer I don't know how to interpit code. So I was wondering if someone can steer this noob in the right direction. like maybe how to utilize the tools I have or download another program that mey simplify the text editing task. Thanks in advance for your help.

The Wiki of Final Fantasy VII tool's is located here. They have descriptions of what they do and what version they work for.
http://wiki.qhimm.com/FF7/Technical/Customising

also if your wanting to get the files from the psx version. You need CDmage. Google it you will find it, and the pc version you need to find your main Final Fantasy VII directory and edit the files from there. If its dialogs you want to edit either Loveless or Hack7 is the way to go depends which version your editing.
« Last Edit: 2009-02-13 11:14:57 by ff7rules »

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009-02-13 11:34:33 »
This is for 8, not 7.:wink: It could be interesting, 8 doesn't have nearly enough modding tools.

Cheyck

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009-02-13 12:38:52 »
Oh, I know a Text editor for FF VIII, It's Garden, but It don't function correctly I believe...

ff7rules

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009-02-13 13:17:16 »
This is for 8, not 7.:wink: It could be interesting, 8 doesn't have nearly enough modding tools.

Oh yeah i just noticed that im an Rtard sometimes. Also isn't garden really the only editer out there i haven't hardly seen any at all.

Colly

• View Profile
    • Final Fantasy VIII PL
« Reply #5 on: 2009-02-13 15:07:11 »

FF8, of course, have enough modding tools ;)

See here, if You don't believe.

Zathoraus, I'll send You Moomba and other files, maybe today. :)

PS. I'll prepare battle hardcore patch for FF8 PC soon...

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009-02-13 15:17:44 »
Oh wow. It's all in Polish!

Colly

• View Profile
    • Final Fantasy VIII PL
« Reply #7 on: 2009-02-13 15:54:41 »

Yes, it's in Polish :) Full list of programs to edit FF8:
- Garden by Qhimm + proper GPR file (1409 KB)
- FF8AC by M4v3r - Archive Commander
- FF8msg by M4v3r - for menu
- Moomba by me ;) - for dialogues + dialogues on World Map
- Omega by M4v3r - for tex, fonts, etc.
- Hexeditor (Translhextion is the best) + proper thingy tables (for kernel, menu, dialogues, battle, etc.)
- TIM plugins for Photoshop & GIMP
- PSIcture & TIMViewer
- many console programs by Kruci for implementing/extracting/editing background graphics, etc. :)
- MS Excel/MS Word/Trados/Notepad/MS Paint, etc. ;)

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009-02-13 16:01:10 »
I didn't know there were that many! Unfortunately I only have the PSX version (I imagine the PC version is incredibly rare now). Do any of these work for the PlayStation version?

Colly

• View Profile
    • Final Fantasy VIII PL
« Reply #9 on: 2009-02-13 16:11:41 »
Do any of these work for the PlayStation version?

For some files, probably yes :) You should "only" find a way to extract all files from PSX CDs ;) A lot of files are exactly the same as in the PC version (for example mngrp.bin - menu).

Oinker

« Reply #10 on: 2009-02-15 05:19:41 »

Yes, it's in Polish :) Full list of programs to edit FF8:
- Garden by Qhimm + proper GPR file (1409 KB)
- FF8AC by M4v3r - Archive Commander
- FF8msg by M4v3r - for menu
- Moomba by me ;) - for dialogues + dialogues on World Map
- Omega by M4v3r - for tex, fonts, etc.
- Hexeditor (Translhextion is the best) + proper thingy tables (for kernel, menu, dialogues, battle, etc.)
- TIM plugins for Photoshop & GIMP
- PSIcture & TIMViewer
- many console programs by Kruci for implementing/extracting/editing background graphics, etc. :)
- MS Excel/MS Word/Trados/Notepad/MS Paint, etc. ;)
Is it possible to edit models, or texture for models?

I'm interested in editing the script in the game, so Moomba seems to be what I need - how do I go about acquiring this?

zathoraus

« Reply #11 on: 2009-02-17 00:02:51 »

Thanks Colly,
 I do look forward to tinkering around with moomba. I haven't recieved it yet so when you get a chance feel free to send it my way. Also I have PC and PSX Version of Final Fantasy VIII does moomba work for both?

Colly

• View Profile
    • Final Fantasy VIII PL
« Reply #12 on: 2009-02-17 00:15:01 »
Thanks Colly,
 I do look forward to tinkering around with moomba. I haven't recieved it yet so when you get a chance feel free to send it my way. Also I have PC and PSX Version of Final Fantasy VIII does moomba work for both?

Zathoraus, I sent You Moomba few days ago... please check your e-mail on yahoo (check spambox, I have gmail) :)

zathoraus

« Reply #13 on: 2009-02-17 00:23:56 »

I'm having trouble registering at that sight even with english web translator
after I type everything it a message comes up I don't understant?

zathoraus

« Reply #14 on: 2009-02-17 04:09:42 »
Thanks Colly,

Zathoraus, I sent You Moomba few days ago... please check your e-mail on yahoo (check spambox, I have gmail) :)

Colly,
 I was able to register at that sight you posted. I was wondering if you could resend me Moomba. I have deleted all spam and inbox. If you resend it I'll be sure to look in all mail boxes. Thanks again for your help

Edit: I did recieve the file thanks agian Colly
« Last Edit: 2009-03-04 16:59:55 by zathoraus »

Silent Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2009-02-24 13:15:09 »
Oo, oo, can I have it, too? Of course, I won't have a chance to use it until around May, but this will give me something to look forward to. I suppose Moomba is all I'll need as well - I only care about the text, and I have neither time nor proper tools for anything else. (Though I'd love the hell out of ANY program that will let me change the music used in-game in a better way than running Winamp with FF8 muted...)

Colly

• View Profile
    • Final Fantasy VIII PL
« Reply #16 on: 2009-03-31 14:54:28 »
Oo, oo, can I have it, too? Of course, I won't have a chance to use it until around May, but this will give me something to look forward to. I suppose Moomba is all I'll need as well - I only care about the text, and I have neither time nor proper tools for anything else. (Though I'd love the hell out of ANY program that will let me change the music used in-game in a better way than running Winamp with FF8 muted...)

Please PM me your e-mail address (e-mail in your profile is correct?) and I'll send you Moomba and other needed applications.

Alkor

• O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2009-04-06 17:58:18 »
Colly
Wow! Too many progs i see, can u send me some of (or all) of it ^__^"
I have Omega, Garden, eight, FF8AC  :-P

PS http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=7619.msg92303#msg92303 just some of my work :wink:
« Last Edit: 2009-04-06 18:00:23 by Alkor »

ddraven

« Reply #18 on: 2009-04-13 07:01:18 »
could u send me that Moomba file too

Vlaric

« Reply #19 on: 2009-04-15 23:25:55 »
Colly, if you have time, I would like all of the files mentioned in your previous post as well, please. I'll send you a PM with my contact information.

venom_kill

Re: Final Fantasy VII game text editor.
« Reply #20 on: 2009-04-27 07:08:29 »
i have already to play FF VII with VGS EMULATOR. When i am search walkthrough, i see patch for FFVII. So, i download it. But when i try it, it cannot work[/size][/size][/size][/size]

It said, there is no FF7.exe

it's mean, i can't patch on emulator or something else

frostedsn0

« Reply #21 on: 2009-05-10 07:33:54 »
Hey guys I am REALLY needing that moomba text editor. I have garden editor BUT the thing is useless IMO.
I havent the slightest on howto use it. I already redid 99% of ff7 story... now wanting to do ff8. Thx in advance! -frostedsn0