Author Topic: FFVII Tifa model?  (Read 3457 times)

DarkSpyda04

• View Profile
FFVII Tifa model?
« on: 2015-10-31 15:03:16 »
Hey, I need the FFVII unedited Tifa battle model. I need the thing as an OBJ because I'd like to port it over to Resident Evil 2. I'm a modder over at those parts. Here all I can do is ask for files. Secondly, is it alright for asking?
« Last Edit: 2015-10-31 15:07:19 by DarkSpyda04 »

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
Re: FFVII Tifa model?
« Reply #1 on: 2015-10-31 15:23:28 »
Have a look at the rules.

We Do Not Allow Ripped Content
Content ripped from other games, including models, backgrounds, textures, etc., is not to be distributed or requested. This content is just as copyrighted as the games it's ripped from. Please only distribute things either you created yourself, or you have permission to distribute.

This applies to assets of the game, which might be considered piracy in part. Answer's no for the request and the question. That question should have been asked before the request, tbh.

There are plenty of tools you can get here to extract and convert models yourself. As long as you have the game no one can stop you, but taking assets from FF7 and directly converting it to another game for others to use can get you in legal trouble.

DarkSpyda04

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2015-10-31 15:45:07 »
Noted. Well I don't have the game so I can't quite use an extractor. Would it be alright to port the model if I made it myself via reconstructing the original model w/ front/side/back references to each part? Technically it wouldn't be Square's model.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2015-10-31 17:34:07 »
What you do with a model you make yourself is up to you. We don't have any rules against that. We just won't distribute models from the game.

DarkSpyda04

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2015-11-01 23:57:56 »
But what if you distributed a model from the game and I drew a moustache on it? There, it's no longer Square's content :D

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #5 on: 2015-11-02 00:01:18 »
But what if you distributed a model from the game and I drew a moustache on it? There, it's no longer Square's content :D

Still technically a violation of the EULA. Unless it's parody, but I'm not as clear on the legal terms with that.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2015-11-02 03:09:13 »
Then all but the mustache is their data. 100% fan-made models are already nebulous legal territory but generally ignored (at worst they would constitute trademark infringement, not copyright infringement, and companies really don't care), but the actual original data is totally, entirely copyrighted.

If you want to rip the model yourself and inject it into your own copy of the game, that's fine though.

DarkSpyda04

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2015-11-02 22:51:06 »
Okay then. I appreciate everyone's concern and thanks for helping