Author Topic: More litigation from Squeenix  (Read 6943 times)

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
More litigation from Squeenix
« on: 2009-08-05 19:44:36 »
So, according to Sankaku Complex*, Squeenix has successfully sued the producers of a Korean music video that recreates scenes from Advent Children for ¥400,000,000. Quite why anyone thought that such a big amount was appropriate is a mystery.

* Warning: might be NSFW
« Last Edit: 2009-08-05 19:51:00 by Kudistos Megistos »

Jari

Re: More litigation from Squeenix
« Reply #1 on: 2009-08-05 20:06:32 »

Might? :-D

The litigation itself is entirely deserved, IMHO - it's about as much of a ripoff as anything can be. And as we are talking about businesses here, the sum is very fitting, as well.

And parody? My ass. It seems Artefact does not understand meaning of the word. :lol:

EDIT: For that matter, I forgot all about the melody they ripped off as well. Very... original. GG, Koreans. :-D It's not under copyright anymore, but goes to show the unimaginable depths of creativity these people have. Someone more into classical music can probably tell us what it is, because I don't remember.
« Last Edit: 2009-08-05 20:12:36 by El Ammo Bandito! »

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009-08-05 20:17:35 »

Might? :-D

Well, one's boss would have to be looking pretty closely  :-P

The litigation itself is entirely deserved, IMHO - it's about as much of a ripoff as anything can be. And as we are talking about businesses here, the sum is very fitting, as well.

It's more deserved than legal action against some fans making a Chrono Trigger mod, at any rate.

Also, it seems that we're under attack.  :-D

EDIT:

EDIT: For that matter, I forgot all about the melody they ripped off as well. Very... original. GG, Koreans. :-D It's not under copyright anymore, but goes to show the unimaginable depths of creativity these people have. Someone more into classical music can probably tell us what it is, because I don't remember.

Für Elise, by Beethoven.
« Last Edit: 2009-08-05 20:21:03 by Kudistos Megistos »

Jari

« Reply #3 on: 2009-08-05 20:22:27 »

It's more deserved than legal action against some fans making a Chrono Trigger mod, at any rate.

Indeed. BTW, the melody is (of course) from Für Elise. You can thank my friend who remembered an ad that used it and Googled. :lol:

Also, it seems that we're under attack.  :-D

WE GET SIGNAL!

It's probably a crawler that has gotten somehow confused and is doing something bizarre instead of indexing.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009-08-05 20:25:33 »
BTW, the melody is (of course) from Für Elise. You can thank my friend who remembered an ad that used it and Googled. :lol:

Yes, I recognised it when I watched the video all the way through for the first time  8-)

Also, it seems that we're under attack:-D

WE GET SIGNAL!

It's probably a crawler that has gotten somehow confused and is doing something bizarre instead of indexing.

I think that this happened to the qhimm forums once before; google was suggested IIRC.

Jari

« Reply #5 on: 2009-08-05 20:33:30 »
BTW, the melody is (of course) from Für Elise. You can thank my friend who remembered an ad that used it and Googled. :lol:

Yes, I recognised it when I watched the video all the way through for the first time  8-)

:-D But you are not allowed to tell, when I'm going through all the trouble of typing a message, damn it!  :lol:

More seriously, my good friend Mr Bale sums up my feelings about this video.

Absolutely not safe for work, though. :-D

I think that this happened to the qhimm forums once before; google was suggested IIRC.

It has happened several times, both GoogleBot and MSN's bot launch multiple instances - but usually they don't end up doing Unknown Action. Also, AOHell's round-robin-style megaproxies can do some whacked out shit, occasionally.

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009-08-05 22:04:30 »
My feeling is that they deserved to be prosectued in the first place. I remember the first time I saw that video, I couldn't believe my eyes  :-o

Otokoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009-08-06 07:49:21 »
Quote from: Prince Lex
My feeling is that they deserved to be prosectued in the first place. I remember the first time I saw that video, I couldn't believe my eyes

I agree.  When Square Enix shuts down a fan mod, it tends to leave a bad taste in my mouth because it is made by fans with no intention for profit.  In the end I understand it's their intellectual property, so that is that.  This music video, in contrast, is looking to profit by making a poor frame for frame recreation of a Square Enix property.  The large value of the suit is meant to send a message, and I think they made it a clear one.

Opine

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009-08-06 13:56:40 »
When I watched Advent Children, this is exactly what I thought it needed. More dance scenes.

But it does leave me wondering where the are going to draw the line next time. I loved the Robot Chicken spoof. Since that was done for profit, would those of it's ilk be tolerated in the future?
« Last Edit: 2009-08-06 13:58:48 by Opine »

Jari

« Reply #9 on: 2009-08-06 14:09:30 »
Parody is protected under the fair use-clause.

Actual, real parody, that is. Something the Ivy-video most certainly is not.

Opine

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009-08-06 14:32:10 »
Okey dokey, Robot Chicken is safe  :-P
I'm glad there are smarter people out there who can put my mind at ease. Thanks Bandito.

seifertemp

« Reply #11 on: 2009-08-06 22:16:36 »
Parody is protected under the fair use-clause.

Actual, real parody, that is. Something the Ivy-video most certainly is not.

is that even english?

:-D

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2009-08-06 22:30:03 »
Its better English than yours - there's nothing wrong with that sentence.

Your spelling and grammar is atrocious.

seifertemp

« Reply #13 on: 2009-08-06 22:31:05 »
Its better English than yours - there's nothing wrong with that sentence.

Your spelling and grammar is atrocious.

It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again.

:lol:

Its?  You mean It's?  

:-D

So easssssy to criticise spelling and grammar isn't it, when one doesn't take much care because it's just a forum :P

:-D  But hey dude, don't look in the mirror, whatever you do!

:-o
« Last Edit: 2009-08-06 22:34:15 by seifertemp »

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #14 on: 2009-08-07 02:20:56 »
parodys are usually accepted as long as the one performing/creating gives credit to the original author. Weird Al's gotten out of a lot of potentially hot water because of this.

After watching the video for the first time, yes, they deserve every cent/en/won they have to pay. They didn't use any footage, but it's move-for-move identical to their movie. Wow...

Satoh

• Assuming this statement is correct, I'm alive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2009-08-11 04:55:21 »
parodys are usually accepted as long as the one performing/creating gives credit to the original author. Weird Al's gotten out of a lot of potentially hot water because of this.

After watching the video for the first time, yes, they deserve every cent/en/won they have to pay. They didn't use any footage, but it's move-for-move identical to their movie. Wow...

It looks to me like they used quite a few clips from the original movie, but only when you couldn't see any faces, specifically the motion blurred action scenes. The actors in the music video kinda suck at action sequences and they didn't look like they had a 3D budget...