Author Topic: Convert PNG to *.FI  (Read 3669 times)

savage-xp

• View Profile
Convert PNG to *.FI
« on: 2012-05-01 22:41:32 »
I am starting working on FFVIII

Quick question, how can i convert a png file to *.fi?
I used FFVIII archive commander and tried to replace a *.fi file to a PNG, and game crashed.
Any Help is much apreciaded :)

myst6re

• Light King of the Savegame - Field Master - FF8.fr
    • View Profile
    • FF8.fr
Re: Convert PNG to *.FI
« Reply #1 on: 2012-05-04 11:27:42 »
I don't understand why you want to replace an archive by an image file...

savage-xp

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2012-05-05 19:16:24 »
I want to start to restore backgrounds on FF8. If i could replace converting the PNG to Fi...
« Last Edit: 2012-05-05 19:20:56 by savage-xp »

savage-xp

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2012-05-20 22:04:36 »
Best edit i can do: Gimp for Windows

Original 320x224

Scaled withFSAA 1069x749

Conveted to 125 DPI 936x749

Compare

I used Dealing to extract to png, but i presume theres no tool to convert fo *FI, i mean put the filtered image back to game?

« Last Edit: 2012-05-20 22:20:55 by savage-xp »

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2012-05-20 23:59:32 »
I think the one on the left looks better.

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2012-05-21 13:07:29 »
I agree with bear.

Also, something you should know :

.FI files are indexes(FI stands for File Index), only telling the .FL (which stands for File List) (or was it .FS? I can't remember) which file to look for.I suggest decompressing the FS (stands for File Source) file, replace files and then recompact. Although if you wish to distribute, that wouldn't work.

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #6 on: 2012-05-21 14:09:05 »
Is it possible to use SMAA? Or it doesn't need to?

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2012-05-21 15:37:54 »
...Wait what? This isn't FFVII, this is FFVIII.

savage-xp

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2012-05-21 18:35:22 »
Yup, it`s FFVIII, I used FF8AC and stand *.fi, this files are compressed (i presume, lamme mod here, lol), in Field File of DATA directory of the game.

Obesebear, The compared picture, left is "super pixelized in game" and right is the aliased one.

« Last Edit: 2012-05-21 18:43:05 by savage-xp »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2012-05-21 19:23:52 »
I'm gonna have to agree with Obesebear, the original looks better.

In particular, take note of the lower space between the pieces of pavement, or the texture on the back wall. In the original, pixellated version, it retains some depth, but the lower contrast and blurring of the modified version causes these things to look painted on. In general, this form of upscaling tends not to play nicely with thin, dark lines on light surfaces.

One thing to keep in mind is that FSAA is meant to be used for antialiasing 3D assets, not upscaling 2D assets. When you play a proper 3D game (not something with prerendered backgrounds) with FSAA, what it does is render the scene at a higher resolution, and then DOWNSCALE it back to the display resolution. Since the original data is vector-based, it can render at a theoretically unlimited resolution with no quality loss, limited only by your graphics card's abilities. What this means is that the extra data for higher resolutions is there, and used to average what each pixel should be.

FF8's backgrounds are 2D raster images. The original 3D polygon data is not there anymore. FSAA does not have a larger image to pull data from. What you are probably doing, in "upscaling with FSAA" is in fact probably just a standard bilinear or trilinear upscale; basically taking a nearest-neighbor upscale and applying a blur filter to it.

tl;dr - FSAA is useful for antialiasing vector images as they're rendered, not for enlarging raster images after they've been rendered. You'd be far better off checking out OnOne Software's Perfect Resize 7. You want a scaling method that uses a bunch of sophisticated math stuffs to guess what SHOULD be in the extra pixels you're creating, not one that relies on the data already being available.