Author Topic: FF7 Video Crash/Freeze fix  (Read 6893 times)

Xelah

FF7 Video Crash/Freeze fix
« on: 2010-04-09 11:32:56 »
My apologies if somebody has already come up with this solution and posted it.  I searched for hours before coming up with this without finding anywhere else it had been posted.  Great minds think alike. :)

After spending many hours of trial and error... mostly error... trying various workarounds on videos running slowly, crashing, or freezing my game.  Getting stuck in the planetarium was the last straw and just as I was about to stab my PC, I noticed a similarity in almost all of the suggestions.  They had something to do with the Truevideo codecs.

My solution?  Recode the videos with a different and more modern codec (cinepak).  It's going to take my PC about an hour to finish converting all of the videos, but I tried it with the first few videos that play (edios logo, squeenix logo, the intro video, and cloud jumping onto the train, and then the entire boogen scene where he tells you about the planet dying) and it works perfectly.

No errors, no crashing, no slow playback.

I'll try to upload them to the web somewhere when I'm done, but if you want to do this on your own, this is what I did:

1)  Used Windows Movie Maker (comes with XP) to turn all of the game's AVI files into uncompressed WMV files.  This will take a bit of work as you'll be doing them one at a time, make certain you name all the files correctly.  I'm not posting a tutorial on how to use Movie Maker, sorry.

2) Used another program to convert said WMV files back int AVI files with the Cinepak codec.  It probably doesn't matter what program you use to do this, I used this one: http://www.appfree.net/wmv-to-avi-mpeg/  If you use this one, there is an option to do many files at once, so you don't have to sit and do them all one at a time.  It will still take a while to convert the videos though. Make certain you set the program to put a codec on the new file (Cinepak works, if you want to try a different codec, I can't vouch that it will work).  My original idea was just to try making the game play raw avi files, but that didn't work either.

3) Move all of these new AVI files into a folder in your FF7 directory, then edit the registry to point the game to this folder.
--- Click Start
--- Click Run
--- Type Regedit
--- Click Ok
--- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ SQUARE SOFT, INC \ FINAL FANTASY VII
--- Click once on FINAL FANTASY VII
--- In the panel on the right, right click on Video path
--- Click Modify
--- Change it to where ever you put those videos.  For me, this was "C:\Program Files\Square Soft, Inc\Final Fantasy VII\data\movies\"

4) Start your game and enjoy.

--Xelah

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
Re: FF7 Video Crash/Freeze fix
« Reply #1 on: 2010-04-09 12:00:27 »
Re-coding the videos themselves? And it worked on an unmodded game? Huh. True, I believe that it's known that the TrueMotion 2.0 is a pretty lousy codec (and decommissioned because of it).

It's an interesting workaround, but using Aali's OpenGL driver is supposed to work too. I've never had any problems with the stock one so I haven't switched yet and can't vouch for it. Others have and would probably swear by it.

Xelah

« Reply #2 on: 2010-04-09 12:10:20 »
Yup, totally works with an unmodified game... assuming we're not counting the chocobo fix and patching to 1.02 as "mods"

I tried the OpenGL driver, but it didn't work with my pc.  I actually already had that for something else, but downloaded and reinstalled it anyway.

titeguy3

• A jack of all trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010-04-09 16:09:33 »
It's an interesting workaround, but using Aali's OpenGL driver is supposed to work too. I've never had any problems with the stock one so I haven't switched yet and can't vouch for it. Others have and would probably swear by it.
I would.
I'd say that if you couldn't get Aali's driver working it's because it wasn't configured or installed correctly, although I have seen a few cases where the graphics card just plain doesn't support OpenGL 2.0.

Aali

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010-04-09 16:25:37 »
Good thing OpenGL 2.0 is not necessary then :P

It will work fine on anything that supports OpenGL 1.1 as long as you don't try to use any of the fancier features (non-multiples of 640x480 and postprocessing specifically).

Xelah

« Reply #5 on: 2010-04-09 18:09:15 »
if it matters,  I'm playing on a netbook with winXP, an intel 945 video chipset, and a 1.6ghz processor.

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #6 on: 2010-04-09 21:17:47 »
if it matters,  I'm playing on a netbook with winXP, an intel 945 video chipset, and a 1.6ghz processor.
sounds just like my netbook , but mine came w/ win7 and that got promptly removed for kubuntu 9.10. it runs so nice but the battery could be better it only came w/ a 3-cell (~2-3hr) battery. if i remember correctly the intel 945 chip is absolute crap on windows, but i have not tried to install ff7 on my netbook yet to see if it works, maybe i'll give it a go this weekend and report back.

iceydamo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010-04-20 16:32:51 »
ok i found another way for encoding them and its pretty fast to i used leawo free avi converter from http://www.leawo.com/ i just added in all the videos into it converted to them into Xvid and after about 15 to 20 mins it had finished put them back into the movies folder and ran the game it played the video's hope this helps the reason why i had to find another way cause my true motion codec kept failing so windows movie maker could not read the files. but anyway great guide Xelah hope this can go with it.
« Last Edit: 2010-04-21 16:02:17 by iceydamo »