Author Topic: So then, TV-Series.  (Read 12724 times)

Emerald Weapon

• View Profile
So then, TV-Series.
« on: 2006-07-28 23:02:45 »
Topic title explains all.

What TV-series, probably American, have you followed/fallen in love with/despised/watched over and over/are you looking forward to for next season/turned into your guilty pleasure? Just to be ahead of any confusion, I am not talking about Anime-series. There have been enough topics about that.

My list (in semi-random order):

Battlestar Galactica -- Brilliancy. Extremely good series. Might be the best on TV right about now (only to be matched by one other). Plot is awesome, mindfracking all the time, great cast, great story. Just great.

Watch: If you like a mindthrilling, extremely good drama-thriller in space. With lots, and I mean lots, of twists.
Do not watch: If you hate SF, are more the Gilmore Girls -type.

Veronica Mars -- Guilty pleasure. But hell, I don't give a damn. I love this. Might be the best on TV right about now (only to be matched by one other). It just has it all. The story completely sucks you up, keeps asking for more. Well, I really don't know what else to say. Together with the other one the only series that got me to skip food, sleep and many other things. I just had to see another episode.

Watch: If you're not a complete idiot. If you secretely like series in somewhat of a highschool-setting. Like plots that are almost unpredictable, yes you read it right, really unpredictable. Just watch it all damn right!
Do not watch: If you've got testosteron bottled up in your room because it wouldn't fit into your body anymore. If you're too cool and sleep with a teddybear.

Prison Break -- Good. Very decent series. Friend of mine once put in this way "It does it's thing. It does that in a very, very good way though." Don't expect the best plot ever, it's good though. Suspense, high risk of failure, outsmarting and being outsmarted, careful planning. That sums it up really boldly.

Watch: If you've always wanted to break out of prison but just never managed to actually get there. Like suspense and the above-mentioned. Sarah Wayne Callies.
Do not watch: If you'd rather know what happened on the latest episode of Everwood or Will & Grace.

Boston Legal -- Now this is hilarious and brilliant at the same time. William Shatner and James Spader are the greatest lawyers ever. Jokes that surpass the "yeah-that-was-fun-level" with ease. Dialogues: Superb.

Watch: If you like William Shatner or James Spader. If you've got an "educated sense of humour".  :-P
Do not watch: If you dislike good series and thought Grey's Anatomy rocked.

Scrubs: Fun. That describes it in one word. Let's use two though: Great fun. Nah, three is better: Super Great Fun. Care to hear some more?

Watch: If you're not a-hilarious.
Do not watch: If you are. If you die while watching hospital-series.

So, short:

Official Love/Adore/Best-list:

Battlestar Galactica
Veronica Mars

Great list:

Boston Legal
Prison Break

Hilarious-list:

Scrubs.

Official-Despise (Go to Hell and Die-list):

Gilmore Girls
Sex and the City
Grey's Anatomy
Any series like these.

If I could name one series you have to watch: Battlestar Veronica Mars.

That's it for me.

MagiMaster

• View Profile
Re: So then, TV-Series.
« Reply #1 on: 2006-07-29 00:38:21 »
Well, I'm not really obsessed with any show, but I have to admit I love Monk.  I watch it whenever I can, record it when I can't, and watch it in my spare time.  It's really funny!  I hope they contine making new episodes for a while yet.

Darkness

• View Profile
    • http://www.x0r.net
« Reply #2 on: 2006-07-29 03:29:55 »
Battlestar Galactica, Stargate (Any and all), Family Guy

Edit: Oh. And Pimp My Ride... the only thing on MTV I have ever watched.

Relf

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006-07-29 06:00:30 »
It has been months since I watched a full episode of television.... At least three or four.. We have not had televsion in my house in about 2 years. I never missed it.

Jedimark

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006-07-29 09:47:48 »
I don't watch much TV but:
UK - Extras, Season 2 out later in the year.
US - Lost and The US Office (Bring on Season 3 for the both of them)

ye-roon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006-07-29 13:52:19 »
i personally follow alot of series, actually too much, but someone has got to do something right.

My favs are: Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis, sg1 being superior. And Prison Break.

Good seconds are: Smallville, grey's anatomy, CSI:NY, My name is Earl.

Also just started Blade, Angela's eyes and brotherhood. And feeling down that Free Ride is no longer on tv :(

sfx1999

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006-07-29 18:17:41 »
Did anyone see Who Wants to Be a Superhero?

Anyway, I like:

The 4400
Monk
Psych
Medium

zero88

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006-07-29 19:36:07 »
I don't think I've watched any of those shows listed at all in this topic (except for Family Guy!) and I have digital cable.

We've got a bunch of premium movie channels though, so I normally only watch movies. But Family Guy and Futurama are about the only show I watch.

RW_66

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006-07-29 20:05:36 »
Good Shows (US):

1. HOUSE (Fox): Definitely one of the best combinations of sarcasm, Medical drama, and human drama, all in one hugely entertaining package. Some of the best dialog and situational dramas since "West Wing".

2.BATTLESTAR GALACTICA (Sci-Fi):Space. Dark. Dramatic. Edward James Olmos. 'Nuff said..

3. MEDIUM (NBC): Not only suprisingly original, but replete with both humor and drama. Definetly not your normal 'psychic investigator' show.

4. EUREKA (Sci-Fi): Humorous and lighthearted look at a "brain-tank" secret-town in Colorado. Just started, but looks promising.

5. KYLE XY (ABC): Has anybody else been watching this? Good story line, excellent characters, and an overall storyline that is really interesting. A 16/17 YO old boy is discovered, with no memories or learning of any kind. However, he posesses some equally amazing abilities that he is discovering as he goes through life, trying to discover who (or what) he is..

ye-roon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006-07-29 20:15:44 »
zomg i forgot Eureka :) that show is made of <3. first comedy scifi in ages. really like it so far :)

MagiMaster

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006-07-29 20:31:16 »
Did anyone see Who Wants to Be a Superhero?

Anyway, I like:

The 4400
Monk
Psych
Medium

Yes I saw it.  You'd have to be really obsessed, as the reward is to have a comic book made after your character.  I think Major Victory and those other guys with suits and fancy emblems are the future finalists, as they seem the most obsessed.  They had something on the morning news where they interviewed some of them.

Oh yeah, Psych is brand new but pretty funny  :lol:

sfx1999

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006-07-30 00:45:11 »
1. HOUSE (Fox): Definitely one of the best combinations of sarcasm, Medical drama, and human drama, all in one hugely entertaining package. Some of the best dialog and situational dramas since "West Wing".

I forgot to put that on my list, but that is a good show.

Lieron

• View Profile
    • Learnin' Time
« Reply #12 on: 2006-07-30 10:12:56 »
hmm House and Any Stargate are the only ones in can think of

Az

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006-07-30 17:05:09 »
I hardly watch any TV at all.
« Last Edit: 2014-01-04 18:14:37 by Tawm »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006-07-30 23:09:52 »
I'm a comedy junky. I love the following:
My Name is Earl
The Office
Two and a Half Men
The New Adventures of Old Christine
The Loop
Futurama
The Simpsons
The War at Home
The Colbert Report
NewsRadio.

Emerald Weapon

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006-07-31 00:17:26 »
Edit: Oh. And Pimp My Ride... the only thing on MTV I have ever watched.

Pimp my Ride is fun. That's the episodes with Xzibit, all the rip-offs suck. One of the few good shows on MTV. As far as good goes on MTV.

I haven't watched House yet, even though a friend of mine has shown me some episodes. It just didn't appeal to me somehow. I might go and see it though, I'm always the skeptic-type with new series. Ranting on and on about the show I'm watching at the very moment and making fun of other shows. I always come crawling back with my tail between my legs though when it turns out I was, once again, horribly mistaken.  :wink:

I'm not really the CSI-person. Don't really know why, I just don't like it. I can't seem to not lose attention when watching episodes. Haven't really tried Stargate yet. Have watched almost all Star Trek there is, started watching Farscape, thought it wasn't that good and quit. Should go and see Babylon 5, I think. But Stargate I don't know, I just always go "Hey look! McGuyver! Oh no wait...."  :-P

So then, what show to watch after I finish my last episodes of Veronica Mars? House? Stargate? America's Next Topmodel?

Convince me! 

(Oh, and just out of the blue, I do have a thriving social life. Really I do.)  :wink:

knives

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2006-07-31 00:47:19 »
I like the simpsons and Familyguy. Venture brothers is good, and so is ATHF.

L. Spiro

• View Profile
    • http://www.memoryhacking.com/index.php
« Reply #17 on: 2006-07-31 02:29:43 »
Mystery Science Theater 3000.

L. Spiro

spyrojyros_tail

« Reply #18 on: 2006-07-31 10:18:48 »
Well I hate television now, nothing on it is any good. I wish MTV would go to hell, nothing is ever good on that, and i despise bam magera... such a knob end.

Anyway, I buy most of the series that I like and most of the stuff I buy is just through word of mouth.

Brasseye (life-changing series)
Father Ted!
Green Wing (excellent comedy)
IT Crowd (got crap reviews, but if you work in IT its a must see)
Monkey Dust
Robot Chicken
South Park
The Mighty Boosh (really good stoner comedy)
American Dad (from the makers of family guy)
Faulty Towers
South Park
and of course... thundercats!!  :wink:

RW_66

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2006-08-01 04:23:32 »
I have the entire Babylon 5 series (including their TV movies) on DVD. It's the only TV series I have bought in its' entirety. I have probably seen the enire series now 6-7 times. It ROCKS! :-D

I like the drama and philosophy in it a lot better than Stargate (which has really become rather silly over the last 2-3 years). Plus, the storyline from seasons 2-4 are ALL tied together so you have to watch them in order. You can't say the same for a lot of other series..

mirex

• View Profile
    • http://mirex.mypage.sk
« Reply #20 on: 2006-08-01 15:00:03 »
I Love:
Mash
Futurama (but I dont like simpsons)
Tropical Heat
Mc Gyver

I like to watch if there is time:

Stargate
StarTrek (some older ones and Voyager, but I like them all)
Step by step
Monk
Pimp my Ride
Sex and the City
Frasier
everything on old Cartoon Network, ranging from Powerpuffgirls, Dexter's laboratory, through Johnny bravo, to the Spaceghost (coast to coast), Birdman, Perils of penelope pitstop, Hong-kong phuey, Johnny Quest, Tobby Danger and such.

I dislike:
CSI-NY, CSI-Miami and all those new wave crimi-series where they solve everything quite fast and easily.
South Park

Emerald Weapon

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2006-08-02 18:55:06 »
Sigh...

I just finished the last episode of Veronica Mars Season 2. And it was brilliant. No, better than that. The best I've ever seen is more like it.
Now I have to wait for at least a whole month until the start of the next tv-season and with that new episodes...

What on earth will I do with my life the coming month? Someone? Anyone?

RW_66

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2006-08-03 02:00:07 »
@ Emerald Weapon:

Things to do:

Learn Bangledeshi..

Wallpaper your monitor..

Paint your CDs in custom colors..

Give a friend a root canal..

Research the family tree back to the 3rd Egyptian Royal Dynasty..

Give the cat a bath..

Remove un-nesessary parts from your vehicle..

Practice veterinary treatments and techniques with the neighbors pets..

Count out-loud from 1 to 8 million..

MagiMaster

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2006-08-09 19:36:07 »
@ Emerald Weapon:

Things to do:

[...]Count out-loud from 1 to 8 million..

You have waaaaaaay too much time on your hands.