Author Topic: Ugh, yet another problem probably involving FF7Music  (Read 4417 times)

Freakwency

Now my FMV's are choppy, and they weren't before using the music program.
BTW, nice little conversation you had in my last post :P

Rubicant

• View Profile
Ugh, yet another problem probably involving FF7Music
« Reply #1 on: 2003-04-19 18:17:09 »
Ok, this may have to do with your cpu config and your plug-ins. Since I'm assuming you're using mp3's, it seems that maybe your cpu is not able to handle all this. Correct me if I'm wrong, however.

Since you did say that you were using the OST mp3's, I would suggest something else. There's a beautiful file format that someone created called the .PSF. What it does is take music ripped directly from the game, and is easily playable. Someone has managed to rip the full FF7 OST into PSF format (except for some minor songs). I would greatly suggest using the PSF's over MP3's. Why?

1. PSF's can loop by themselves effortlessly
2. PSF's are so much smaller than MP3's (less resources required, I believe)

However, if you're not interested in using PSF's that's okay. If you still wish to use the mp3's, I will guide you through using them. Just tell us your specs, and we can guide you through this..

Freakwency

« Reply #2 on: 2003-04-19 18:45:32 »
Although the PSF's sound appealing, I want to try to make the mp3's work first, since I went through all that trouble to get them to.

My specs:
AthlonXP 1800+
256mb Sdram
Windows 98 SE
GeForce2 MX/MX 400 (64mb)
60gb Maxtor hard drive (don't know speed)
DVD ROM (16x)/CD-RW (32x10x40x)
Onboard sound (VIA AC'97)

I used EAC and Lame to rip from the OST. Average bitrate per song is 192.

Rubicant

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2003-04-20 02:36:28 »
Ok, well it shouldn't be the cpu speed causing this. By the way, which cinematics does this happen on? Does it happen on the eidos logo as often as the in-game movies? To test this, try unpatching your game then running it to see if the movie playback is changed or not.

I really can't think of any reasons why this would happen, though.

Freakwency

« Reply #4 on: 2003-04-25 21:46:52 »
Okay, I'll use the PSF's. Where do I get those?

atzn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2003-04-25 21:57:31 »
Quote from: Freakwency
Okay, I'll use the PSF's. Where do I get those?

http://www.zophar.net/psf/

Freakwency

« Reply #6 on: 2003-04-26 04:25:57 »
Alright, what I did was I went and downloaded the PSF package on Aaron's FFSF website. I found that it included FF7Music version 1.05, so what I did is I copied his song list profile to 1.10 as well as the in_psf.dll file and used that for the input. Now the game has an illegal error whenever one of the songs tries to play. This has probably already been answered somewhere, but I looked and couldn't find it.

Freakwency

« Reply #7 on: 2003-04-26 09:54:19 »
Oddly enough, out_ds.dll worked while out_wave.dll didn't, and swapping did the trick. Now I have good-sounding music and my midi is muted. One thing I was wondering about, however, since this leaves me skeptical about stability, is that after I close FF7, there is an illegal error everytime.

ficedula

• View Profile
    • http://www.ficedula.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: 2003-04-26 11:39:45 »
Probably depends on your sound card ... under Win98 at least (not sure about 2k/XP) most cards prior to the Live couldn't play multiple sound streams at once through the Waveout interfaces, so using out_wave under those circumstances is usually an automatic non-starter. In theory, out_ds should always work best, since DS is more or less designed for multiple sound streams, but I guess that depends on your individual setup too.

Rubicant

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2003-04-26 15:48:40 »
Hey freakwency I have an older out_ds version that shouldn't freak out when you exit the game. Just ring the bell if you want it.

And btw, I was the one who made the ff7 psf config.

Freakwency

« Reply #10 on: 2003-04-26 17:41:31 »
:P Sorry, Rubicant. It's just that FFSF was mentioned on Aaron's posts so I just thought he made the package. Anyway, sure I'd like to use the older out_ds
And I should help out others with their problems, but a lot of this is either greek to me or it's already been answered. I'm more versed in RPGMaker 2k. (that reminds me, I have to work on my game)