Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v2.0.99994)  (Read 4929638 times)

Dracozombie

• View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v1.35)
« Reply #2725 on: 2016-02-22 03:50:17 »
Mmkay. Before that, I'm going after the Weapons. I was pleasantly surprised by how easily Ruby went down; after how much I got mauled in Dark Cave, it was a relief to kick something else's ass for a change. Of course, since Ruby and Emerald unlock other fights, I'm guessing those aren't the hard ones. But for Emerald, I can't peg what Kcatta emit Storm draws its damage from (thank god it's not from your materia). I know it's "time attack," but does it draw from your ATB gauge or something? The first time he used it, it knocked out Cloud but missed Tifa, but I can't tell if it didn't affect her or if she just dodged it.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #2726 on: 2016-02-22 07:09:07 »
It's based on the in-game timer; if your timer reads 29hrs, 30mins then it'll do 2930 damage; the max it can do is 9959 (the timer 'stops' at this in the menu, though I think it actually keeps counting; not sure). It's also a physical attack meaning it can be Lucky Dodged with the Luck stat, maybe regular evasion as well depending on what I set the accuracy to.

Dracozombie

• View Profile
« Reply #2727 on: 2016-02-23 03:39:18 »
It's based on the in-game timer

whywouldyoudosuchathing

Mithrain

• View Profile
« Reply #2728 on: 2016-02-23 13:29:38 »
Every day, this thread has several hundred more views/reads. I can't help but wonder how many of them are mine.

« Last Edit: 2016-02-23 13:31:50 by Mithrain »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #2729 on: 2016-02-23 16:54:19 »
One of these days, the page will show a little message saying 1.4 is finished. Maybe.

JonJon412

• ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2730 on: 2016-02-23 21:40:28 »
One of these days, the page will show a little message saying 1.4 is finished. Maybe.

If it comes or not, I still appreciate all the help you've given me all this time.

I still watch the guide videos you did of it from time to time, cheers.

Dracozombie

• View Profile
« Reply #2731 on: 2016-02-24 02:18:33 »
I too am grateful for the help with my Disc 3 pain. 1.4 hype whoooooo

NeoDraconis

• View Profile
« Reply #2732 on: 2016-02-24 04:13:33 »
I am waiting for 1.4 before getting started so I can enjoy some lovely documentation.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #2733 on: 2016-02-24 09:07:21 »
There will be much documentation.

NeoDraconis

• View Profile
« Reply #2734 on: 2016-02-24 10:57:33 »
With any game as big as Final Fantasy 7 I tend to need such documentation or I will miss things often. :(

Nikkolas

• View Profile
« Reply #2735 on: 2016-02-25 00:04:45 »
Will 1.4 be significantly different than the one I played?

Really want to replay FFVII again and while I loved your mod and am eternally grateful for all the help you gave me, I'd be interested in seeing new things.

Also since you probably don't remember me, I last played the NT mod in October of 2014.

Webbhead08

• View Profile
« Reply #2736 on: 2016-02-25 00:53:05 »
Hi All - I wanted to see what everyone thought about playing New Threat with the NT Custom .exe Patch. I played 1.3 extensively last summer without the patch, (and am a long time ff7 fan) but have yet to play the mod with the Rank-Up and other new features of 1.35. Hoping to hear some comments and thoughts about playing through with the custom .exe patch or not! Thanks in advance!

-Web
« Last Edit: 2016-02-25 01:01:59 by Webbhead08 »

Dracozombie

• View Profile
« Reply #2737 on: 2016-02-25 05:12:55 »
How does one get around Emerald's time attack storm thingy? He's otherwise completely manageable except for that one attack that totally wipes out my party (my timer's pushing 70... shaddap). I know it can be dodged, and sometimes my characters do, but whether they do depends on luck and that's not a strategy I can rely on. Speaking of luck, I was thinking of bringing Yuffie into the fight in the hopes of activating her lucky dodge innate, but she's so squishy it's hard to keep her alive until Emerald even starts using Emit Kcatta. There's also how Yuffie's lucky dodge will cancel if she's hit with magic effects, and most of Emerald's attacks are magic-based. Besides, getting lucky dodge to activate at all is... well, luck. Which I don't feel like depending on.

Mithrain

• View Profile
« Reply #2738 on: 2016-02-25 07:25:25 »
Hi All - I wanted to see what everyone thought about playing New Threat with the NT Custom .exe Patch. I played 1.3 extensively last summer without the patch, (and am a long time ff7 fan) but have yet to play the mod with the Rank-Up and other new features of 1.35. Hoping to hear some comments and thoughts about playing through with the custom .exe patch or not! Thanks in advance!

-Web

I personally prefer the custom .exe, as it allows greater customization of my characters, in the form of bigger penalties/boni, allowing me to stack certain stats, such as dex/str/mag to basically whatever extent I please. Granted, this also means that if you simply load up all your characters with a full inventory of materia, you might be gimping yourself, due to the penalties. :)

Edit: if you're trying to decide whether or not to use the custom .exe, based on the materia-list in the database, don't. As it's quite outdated, it seems. o/

How does one get around Emerald's time attack storm thingy? He's otherwise completely manageable except for that one attack that totally wipes out my party (my timer's pushing 70... shaddap). I know it can be dodged, and sometimes my characters do, but whether they do depends on luck and that's not a strategy I can rely on. Speaking of luck, I was thinking of bringing Yuffie into the fight in the hopes of activating her lucky dodge innate, but she's so squishy it's hard to keep her alive until Emerald even starts using Emit Kcatta. There's also how Yuffie's lucky dodge will cancel if she's hit with magic effects, and most of Emerald's attacks are magic-based. Besides, getting lucky dodge to activate at all is... well, luck. Which I don't feel like depending on.

One way is to simply bruteforce it, absolutely wreck it before it even has a chance to use it. Considering the time you've spent already, you might(/should?) have the materia/gear needed to accomplish that. :) I think I used cloud & Cid primarily as my physical attackers. Not sure if Aerith did anything but support, she might have been octo-casting.
« Last Edit: 2016-02-25 07:27:00 by Mithrain »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #2739 on: 2016-02-25 07:32:33 »
Will 1.4 be significantly different than the one I played?

Really want to replay FFVII again and while I loved your mod and am eternally grateful for all the help you gave me, I'd be interested in seeing new things.

Also since you probably don't remember me, I last played the NT mod in October of 2014.

Long time no see, Nikk; I remember you. 1.4 has a different progression curve that puts you on Disc 3 at roughly around Lv.70+, some of the sidequests are different and start earlier in the game, and I streamlined some things like Junon Leagues and Extra Battle to mix their enemies more into Disc 1 & 2.

-Web

I need to fix the custom .exe patch; it isn't a good fit with NT at the moment due to the HP problem in 1.35 and weak Limit damage.

Lucky Dodge isn't the innate, her evasion against physical/magical attacks itself is raised to 255%; if hit by a critical hit (or Lucky Hit as it can be called) then this standard evasion won't help. Time Attack Storm has 255% physical accuracy as well, so even with that on it won't be a sure thing. To use Lucky Dodge, you need a high Luck Stat; try swapping party leaders to Cid and using him, Cait Sith, and Yuffie in that fight. Bolster Cid and Cait's Luck with whatever equipment you can find (Amulet should raise it by 75, and certain armours do as well; you want to be pushing 200 Luck on both of them for a solid chance of dodging this attack consistently). If you have Final Attack, you can put that on Cait or Cid to give yourself a safety net as well.

As for damage, physical attacks are likely the way to go so Cid can cover that as well. Load him with Bolt + Elemental in his weapon, and either 2x-Cut or Mug + Added Cut (4x-Cut randomly targets enemies so when his eyes open it'll make Cid less effective, so stick with 2x or an Added Cut set-up). He only has 180,000HP and low defence, so if you're aggressive enough you might even be able to kill it before his eyes open. If his eyes do open, the he'll start counter-attacking any damage that isn't Limits or Bahamut Summons with Revenge Stamps.

One thing to note though is that if you kill all four eyes when they open, Emerald will be knocked out of his 2nd-phase AI and won't use Storm at all so that's another possible solution; you could prevent the attack altogether. For that, you'll want to either have a multi-target Limit Break ready (Fury could be handy for that) or Bahamut Summons to avoid the counters, or go after the eyes individually with 2x-Cut and Bolt3.

Finally, if you bring Aeris along you could pop Planet Protector or Great Gospel when his eyes open to give yourself some temporary invincibility for a little extra time in destroying the torso/eyes. Slow can make Peerless last longer, but avoid using Haste as it'll make it tick off faster.

Mithrain

• View Profile
« Reply #2740 on: 2016-02-25 09:46:20 »
I need to fix the custom .exe patch; it isn't a good fit with NT at the moment due to the HP problem in 1.35 and weak Limit damage.
Will it be released simultaneously with 1.4?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #2741 on: 2016-02-25 12:16:23 »
I'll try.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2742 on: 2016-02-25 22:15:46 »
You're kind.  In Weapon, that move is game over.    :-D

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #2743 on: 2016-02-26 07:08:54 »
You're kind.  In Weapon, that move is game over.    :-D

That because of the timer being extended? Or did you actually make it Cait Sith's Game Over? D:

Still looking forward to the full release of Weapon :I

Mithrain

• View Profile
« Reply #2744 on: 2016-02-26 07:35:00 »
Is "Weapon" another FF7 mod? :> My google-fu only yields skin/model replacements, if so. o/

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #2745 on: 2016-02-26 08:46:23 »
Dan's Reunion project has multiple parts to cover every aspect of the game; most people know it for the retranslation, called Beacause, but there's also another section called Weapon that's looking into the gameplay. So far I think it's just the minigames that have been fixed up/released, but I remember he altered the game's formulas at one point and was streamlining how they work.

Zedes

• View Profile
« Reply #2746 on: 2016-02-26 09:08:07 »
Dan's Reunion project has multiple parts to cover every aspect of the game; most people know it for the retranslation, called Beacause, but there's also another section called Weapon that's looking into the gameplay. So far I think it's just the minigames that have been fixed up/released, but I remember he altered the game's formulas at one point and was streamlining how they work.

Does the retranslation include a guy who are sick?

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #2747 on: 2016-02-26 09:59:57 »
Only a guy who is sick, I'm afraid.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #2748 on: 2016-02-27 11:26:14 »
Well, a serious problem has finally emerged. I found a series of scripting flaws in Dark Cave which will need a fair amount of work to repair. I'm going to temporarily close that sidequest for 1.4's release so I can get the time I need to properly re-do it; because of the way I've done it, I can't overhaul it the way I wanted to so it needs to be rewritten. Fortunately, it's kind of insular and end-game so nobody is going to miss it by advancing too far (unless they, y'know, beat the final story bosses and finish the game).

I'm doing the same with Arrange but for different reasons; I want the initial feedback/big-reports to be focused on the default normal mode, rather than split between that and Arrange. I need to do a test-play of it in any case to set it up properly.

As for what remains to be done, I just need to implement some revamped pre-battle AI for enemies to handle SP & general mechanics then test out some sidequests to make sure they're functioning at all times. There's a thing I want to do with the final boss as well to make it more...tense.

Mithrain

• View Profile
« Reply #2749 on: 2016-02-27 12:08:10 »
Don't worry too much about the Dark Cave and Arrange, most of us just want to start trying out the new stuff. :>

Also, I hate to be "that guy" but do you have any idea when you'll be releasing it? (And hopefully the custom.exe)
Wouldn't want to miss it, been ridiculously hyped ever since my first playthrough of 1.35 :D
« Last Edit: 2016-02-27 12:29:41 by Mithrain »