Author Topic: Fallout 1 PC free For Limited Time from GOG  (Read 7115 times)

Kranmer

• View Profile
Fallout 1 PC free For Limited Time from GOG
« on: 2012-04-06 16:59:30 »
Thought this was worth posting here for anyone who likes the fallout games (i only liked 1 and tactics, i really disliked the new ones),
Fallout 1 for PC is free for a short while at www.gog.com (only requires membership and that is also free).

--------------------------------------------
OFFER NOW OVER
« Last Edit: 2012-04-07 21:56:31 by kranmer »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 1 PC free For Limited Time from GOG
« Reply #1 on: 2012-04-06 20:27:39 »
Yeah, I grabbed this yesterday. Haven't installed it yet. I've never played any game in the series before, but I'm curious enough and this is free enough that I'm willing to give it a try.

For anyone who isn't aware, all GOG games are 100% DRM-FREE, no need to run a special client to download or play games purchased there. I can think of absolutely no reason not to take them up on this, even if you already own the game. If nothing else, it can serve as a backup if your internet goes down and you can't access your old Steam copy or whatever :P

PitBrat

• Change to feed the machine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2012-04-06 23:13:57 »
GOG's Fallout is a very worthwhile download.  The CD-ROM version has graphical artifacting issues and doesn't like Aero-- one must kill explorer.exe before playing.  The GOG version is an improvement.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2012-04-07 00:16:32 »
GOG's Fallout is a very worthwhile download.  The CD-ROM version has graphical artifacting issues and doesn't like Aero-- one must kill explorer.exe before playing.  The GOG version is an improvement.
I doubt it's simply an Aero issue, otherwise the solution would be to turn off compositing in the program's compatibility tab. Way easier than killing explorer.exe, and pretty much disables Aero (you lose transparent borders, Aero snap, the whole shebang).

BloodShot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2012-04-07 01:22:52 »
I saw this on several sites already, it's an awesome deal. I never beat FO1 because I didn't own it but it's a great game nonetheless, and now I do :)

Personally I like Fallout 3, but I view it more as a spinoff then a sequel

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2012-04-07 21:55:54 »
Looks like the offer is over now :(, I love GOG's offers, i signed up to them a few years ago for Tex Murphy for free when they had that on offer, and then i keep going back for free stuff (so far i have got Tex Murphy 1+2, Broken Sword 1 Directors Cut, Empire Earth 1 Gold, Jagged Alliance Deadly Games and now Fallout 1 all for free :) and that's not to mention the already free games they have like Beneath a steel sky etc)

BloodShot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2012-04-08 01:10:27 »
Off topic, but I really wish Good Old Games had the Space Hulk games with fixes for modern OS. The second one, my favorite, doesn't even run on Windows 7 at all.

On topic, installed Fallout 1 and after unchecking a box in my setpoint control panel for my mouse it works flawlessly in windows 7. It's a hard game though, but I like hard games.
« Last Edit: 2012-04-08 03:29:20 by BloodShot »

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2012-04-10 19:28:30 »
Off topic, but I really wish Good Old Games had the Space Hulk games with fixes for modern OS. The second one, my favorite, doesn't even run on Windows 7 at all.

Space Hulk ? not a game i know, any good ? what game would you compare it too ?

Jari

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2012-04-10 22:30:25 »
Space Hulk ? not a game i know, any good ? what game would you compare it too ?

Russian roulette. At least as far as the first Space Hulk goes. Both are roughly equally fair.

Don't misunderstand; it is a good game, especially for its time. It also is easily the most difficult, frustrating and unfair game ever made. No, I'm not exaggerating one bit - feel free to try it. You'll see. ;D

BloodShot

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2012-04-11 23:49:05 »
That's because it's a strategic first person shooter. I used to think that until I played through the second one with proper squad management.

There are difficulty settings on the second one, just so you know :P The first one is free though cuz it's abandonware, but that one is a b**ch to play difficulty wise because the friendly AI is shite (and the enemy AI is not), so yes I agree if you are referencing the first.

On topic, this was amazingly worthwhile - I'd recommend buying fallout for 6 bucks off of GoG even if you missed the deal - the story is excellent, and the control the player has over situations is simply amazing - great atmosphere too (because of the music). I can't believe I never played it this far other times I had it. Once you get the water chip it really becomes a sandbox for you - though I would recommend getting the unofficial 1.2 patch, hires patch, and child restoration patch because GoG.com sells the censored UK version, and Fallout relies heavily on it's dark humor and mature themes.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2012-04-12 01:11:01 »
The first one is free though cuz it's abandonware
Abandonware is no more free than the the latest Halo game from [insert popular torrent site]. Unless the owner decides to make it free, or the copyright expires, abandonware is still piracy.

BloodShot

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2012-04-12 01:23:31 »
Well excuse my ignorance then