Author Topic: Final Fantasy Versus 13 Cancelled  (Read 22631 times)

BloodShot

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy Versus 13 Cancelled
« Reply #25 on: 2012-07-21 03:50:23 »
I applaud creative use of "fantasy", and Square's older titles definitely fall under that category.

As much as I love all the TES games, Skyrim and Oblivion were definitely the least creative in the series. The fact that they focused on dragons, which is one of the most

rudimentary fantasy things ever, just hurt their originality in the long run. I liked their stories much better when they focused on political issues and their creation, the

daedra - instead of dragons, which are very generic

Don't get me wrong, TES is still one of my favorite series, but with each installment they seem to have worse stories, and less RPG elements. It's why my favorite ones

are Daggerfall, and Morrowind. Those two games were brimming with creativity.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2012-07-21 04:42:20 »
The Simpsons under Scully has been negatively labelled as a "gag-heavy, Homer-centric incarnation" by Jon Bonné of MSNBC, while some fans have bemoaned the transformation in Homer's character during the era, from sweet and sincere to "a boorish, self-aggrandizing oaf", dubbing him "Jerkass Homer". When asked in 2007 how the series' longevity is sustained, Scully joked, "Lower your quality standards. Once you've done that you can go on forever.
Same thing here.  They now have the fanbase onboard (who seem to buy everything), they make a profit no matter how much lack of care is taken... and they have lowered their standards to make it easier to churn out a product.  Just like The Simpsons did.

A quick offtopic post about The Simpsons... most people think the series went into decline around season 9, but I have just finished watching 1-9 and imho the decline started after season 3.  Homer got dumber and dumber, the stories became more and more silly and "gag heavy" and the stories that once made you feel something for the characters became non existent.  It is true that things went far worse after season 9 but the coffin lid was firmly in place by season 5, just that most people didn't see it.
« Last Edit: 2012-07-21 04:50:23 by DLPB »

savage-xp

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2012-07-21 19:36:57 »
Final Fantasy series Died After Final Fantasy 10.

Gemini

• Not learner's Guru
    • View Profile
    • Devil Hackers
« Reply #28 on: 2012-07-21 19:46:58 »
Final Fantasy series Died with Final Fantasy 10.
Fixed.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2012-07-21 20:13:06 »
Fixed.

X was a great game and last great FF.... after that with FFX-2 (the first main cash in), it was over.  It has never recovered.

Jenova's Witness

• Right Wing Safety Squads
  • I ♥ SCIENCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2012-07-21 20:13:51 »
« Last Edit: 2015-11-16 10:00:57 by Jenova's Witness »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 2012-07-21 20:15:14 »
... And was briefly resuscitated for FF12, but only for the first 40 hours of gameplay.
Personally, I thought XII was the final nail.

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2012-07-21 21:30:14 »
Horrible characters in X killed it for me, the voice acting didn't help that much.

strife98

• Global moderator
  • Doink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 2012-07-21 21:42:17 »
I thought X was good. Was it the best? Not by a long shot, but it was good. I wasn't surprised about the voice acting since it was the first time they made an entire game with voice acting. In my opinion, it also had one of the best mini games. I loved Blitzball, which is weird since I don't like sports. I do believe though, that X was the beginning of the end for Final Fantasy sadly. When they came out with X-2, it made me not like it so much that I actually lost a few good opinions about X. (And I could murder them for what they did to Blitzball!) I never played 11, but from what I heard about it, it was a good attempt for a first time at an MMO. Then when 12 came out, I lost hope. The person they tried get people to think was the "Main Character" Vaan, had no point in the story past him trying to steal the stone. Which, if they had just been in Balthiers point of view instead, the story would have continued no problem. That game was just so long, and had too many things to do. I also think that is what influenced 13 to be what it is. Very linear and with barely anything to do. 12 and 13 are on opposite ends of the spectrum I think.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #34 on: 2012-07-22 02:59:21 »
10's characters and story weren't too great (a lot of important concepts were poorly explained, possibly thanks to a bad translation), but the actual battle mechanics were very well-refined. Characters were highly individuated and spells and statuses felt useful. The game was reasonably well-balanced for the most part and fights demanded at least some limited strategy.

12, on the other hand, was horrific. It wasn't just that the gameplay was bland and insipid - it was that the repetitive dungeons and arbitrary grinding made me feel I wasn't making any meaningful progress. And stupid stunts like the Zodiac Spear chests left a bad taste in my mouth. If it hadn't been an FF title, perhaps I'd have been more forgiving - I could easily see FFXII making a 6/10 or 7/10. But being a highly anticipated title, it cost me (and others) a lot of goodwill with Square-Enix.

Gemini

• Not learner's Guru
    • View Profile
    • Devil Hackers
« Reply #35 on: 2012-07-22 03:32:14 »
X was a great game and last great FF.... after that with FFX-2 (the first main cash in), it was over.  It has never recovered.
Dull cast, embarrassing story, incredibly boring battle system based on a growth system that simply doesn't exist and ends up making your characters identical in pretty much every aspect (with the exception of Yuna, she has the Summon command after all ;O ). And Nomura, oh for the love of god, NOMURA ALL OVER THE PLACE. FFX killed the series for me: so many terrible choices for just one game. No wonder the same team created XIII, another gigantic pile of flaming sh*t.

Lion

• Sleeping Lionheart
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2012-07-22 08:10:58 »
FFX had all the marks of final fantasy going downhill. Exploring was a joke. They might as well have gotten rid of maps and just stringed together encounters with an option to heal between every fight.

Story was bad as well. By bad I mean everything before the ending was absolutely terrible. If they had made the first 80% better storywise FFX would have been killer. Since FFX is story driven the story has to be effing amazing. It wasn't. In fact I felt like FFX would have been better if the setting was in Zanarkand.

Sidequests were terrible. Monster Arena, aka grind through hundreds of battles using mediocre equipment. Blitzball was a joke. Jecht Shot/Jecht Shot 2. minute long animations for jecht shot 2 and prizes are terrible after you get wakkas limits.

Battle System I actually enjoyed.... In the sense that I loved the expert sphere grid and having a fair amount of choices every time. Weapon/armour customization didn't come out well. Lots of options, not many real choices. The standard sphere grid though.... They might as well have just made it like pokemon where you learned a new skill every few levels. Only the illusion of choice existed in the standard grid.

Setting was also terrible. For a game that names itself final fantasy, the setting of ffx was about as much of a fantasy as my backyard. running down straight paths knowing exactly where you're going, and nothing that you would look twice at. Terrain wasn't interactive and that was something I always loved about FF.

Characters were hard to connect with. Tidus looked like a massive tool. Yuna was dull. Auron I enjoyed. Noone else was developed enough.

gjoerulv

• me
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #37 on: 2012-07-22 16:16:28 »
If it hadn't been an FF title, perhaps I'd have been more forgiving

That's the problem. FF12 isn't a FF. 13 is more of an FF than 12. 12 would be more praised if another company made it with no reference to the FF franchise. Imo 12 > 10.
Both are good games though. Flawed, but still good.

I'm actually doing playthrough of 10 now. It's a better game if you ignore all the side stuff and just concentrate on the beating the game.
F*ck you Tidus, Rikku, cloister of trails, laughing scene and mandatory blitzball game!  >:(

I found out if you do it like this, it's pretty much the exact same experience as 13. 13 is still weaker though.

Edit: oh and the reason for posting here.

I don't care about versus 13. 6 years in development? Wow... I can't imagine squeeny not using the materials for something at least.
« Last Edit: 2012-07-22 16:18:33 by gjoerulv »

Fischkopf

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2012-07-22 16:37:58 »
I don't care about anything Final Fantasy, as long as they don't come with a FF VII Remake, FFVII-2, or a game on par with FF VII...

Fixed.

Agreed.  :'(

Horrible characters in X killed it for me, the voice acting didn't help that much.

It would have been much better without voices, but i didn't like the art style too. Much to "cartoonish" and clean as opposed to VII which was more greyish, dirty and realistic  (and awesome)

And for some reason the MUSIC did never again sound as good as in FF VII. 
« Last Edit: 2012-07-22 16:45:07 by Fischkopf »

Lion

• Sleeping Lionheart
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 2012-07-22 18:20:49 »
[quote author=gjoerulv link=topic=13328.msg185681#msg185681 date=1342973788

I don't care about versus 13. 6 years in development? Wow... I can't imagine squeeny not using the materials for something at least.
[/quote]

Inb4 Zack Fair gets retconned.

BloodShot

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2012-07-22 22:02:07 »
Don't know if this article is legit or not

http://playstationgang.com/final-fantasy-versus-xiii-is-not-canceled/

The author doesn't seem to know correct english.

GeekRichieUK

• I haven't completed Final Fantasy IX...
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2012-07-22 22:13:05 »
Final Fantasys are all different flavours for the same audience.  Some people like chocolate chip, some pistachio.  But at the end of the day, Ice cream is a childs food and we're all growing old.  A taste of it is good for some refreshment, but no-longer do you crave for ice-cream in the heat - now we reach for cocktails and beers. 

This is true with final fantasy - I personally love every final fantasy between 6 to 12 (excluding XI) with fond appreciation for the different experiences they gave me.   I've seen thier gimmicks and even tasted them, but now, I'm too old for cheap tricks to entice me.  When Final Fantasy XIII came out, I changed the name of a bunch of elements and came up with the intro storyline for Final Fantasy 7, all the crazy was just an attempt to hide the fact they were trying to reignite the Final Fantasy 7 flame.  They failed, in part because 'the crazy' was just that, and partly because the resultant product was a breath of what it was first planned to be (The story was just off-cuts of the original and didn't even fit together right for me).

The fact that more and more things from Square show that their dreams of recreating a great game are only hindered by the fact they underestimate how much effort it requires - and 13 was just too much for them.  In thier effort to do new interesting things, they do silly and thoughtless things, like making a game in English just was foreign as if it were written in Japanese. 

Final Fantasy VII on the other hand isn't there to feed the dreams of the designers, it is there to line the pockets of the business.  So Final Fantasy XIII Versus being cancelled must be hurting the business.  I very much doubt it will be cancelled completely.   Worst case - they'll reuse everything and change the story and make a non-final fantasy out of it.

What doesn't sit right with me is in regard to the duality of Square - The dreamers release over-budget games that are a let down because their purse-strings are strangling them.  But the business side still release substandard money-makers like FF-VII PC.  So why NOT release a half-arsed Versus 13?  The cost of making it is alot, marketing could double that, but I very much doubt that selling it would get less back than the marketing costs.  The cancellation doesn't fit either duality - that confuses me.

My theory to justify this - Versus was cancelled because they fear the backlash from releasing a substandard game after all the expectations we have for it, knowing it could be the final nail in the coffin got Square. I think someone who is very powerful in Square has overturned the project, in a hope they can resurrect the company to its former glory.  Now I don't think for a second this has anything to do with a ressurection of old franchises - rather a step away.   Someone has come forward with a new story, a new plan for game that will be good enough to potentially fuel a resurgence in Squeenix fans, a new Final Fantasy, with an original format, somethign that appeases the money spinners and the creative minds. 

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2012-07-22 23:32:37 »
Don't know if this article is legit or not

http://playstationgang.com/final-fantasy-versus-xiii-is-not-canceled/

The author doesn't seem to know correct english.
A Senior US Editor, Erren Van Duine  Square Enix  resourceful source was  awared and respond  to the rumor that Final Fantasy Versus XIII is alive and it  will be shown at this year’s Tokyo Game Show.
I'm not convinced this was written by a human. This really sounds like a chatbot  ;)

nickblames

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2012-07-23 00:07:56 »
I'd take this with a grain of salt.  I have a not-so-sneaking suspicion that many of Kotaku's "anonymous" sources are actually "pulled from own ass to generate hits/buzz".  They've done it before, they'll do it again.  Hopefully they're doing it to try to force Squeenix to actually make an official comment on the game.

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #44 on: 2012-07-23 02:24:02 »
...to force Squeenix to actually make an official comment on the game.

That would be nice...

Jenova's Witness

• Right Wing Safety Squads
  • I ♥ SCIENCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 2012-07-23 03:40:54 »
« Last Edit: 2015-11-16 10:00:37 by Jenova's Witness »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 2012-07-23 23:25:06 »
No rebalance is going to sort the dialogue and story out.  You'd need ti redo the whole thing.  Gameplay wise, at least something could be done, but the Gambit system is a destroyer and the random chests, ill thought out, to name a few things.

Masamune

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2012-07-24 00:01:50 »
I thought this would mean more work on Kingdom Hearts III, until FFXIII-3.

StickySock

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 2012-07-24 06:10:02 »
For my quick summary of the series so far :

FF1 sucks, FF2 was okay, FF3 was okay, FF4 was great, FF5 was okay, FF6 was great, FF7 was great, FF8 was terrible, FF9 was great, FF10 was great, FF12 was okay, FF13 was okay, FF13-2 was okay but slightly better than 13.

Kotaku's "anonymous" sources are actually "pulled from own ass to generate hits/buzz".  They've done it before, they'll do it again.  Hopefully they're doing it to try to force Squeenix to actually make an official comment on the game.
Really?  ::)

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2012/07/square-enix-confirms-the-existence-of-final-fantasy-versus-xiii/

FFVS13 looks like the next one I might be able to label "great" but it's too early to tell. I have high hopes because of the reviews of Type-0 though, so I think that not everything once branded "13" is doomed to mediocracy. I am still thinking Final Fantasy is more in a rut than dead.

Edit: FF10-2 also sucked
« Last Edit: 2012-07-25 19:06:17 by StickySock »

ultima espio

• View Profile