Author Topic: FF8 - Seifer & Gunblade Animation Desynch Problem  (Read 3193 times)

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
I was trying to edit Battle #136 (the last fight on Disc 1) to include both Edea and Seifer but I've encountered 2 issues:

1) Seifer's Gunblade isn't synched to his animations; he'll attack but the sword stays in place + no SFX plays when physicals are used. The two actors aren't synched with each other.

2) The end of the battle causes a freeze after Edea's 'death quote' (unknown cause). A freeze also occurs if Seifer is in the 1st spot instead of Edea, with the game loading one of his text dialogues when Rinoa + Irvine show up.

In the formation editor Cactilo, I've been looking at the other formations where Seifer appears, including the one where both him and Edea are present at the end of Disc 2 and taking note of the flags used there. I also tried shuffling the order of the enemies in the formation but that caused other issues (Rinoa and Irvine are scripted to enter the battle at the start, I'm not sure where this is set from).

The three pics of their formation data:
Spoiler: show

I'm thinking it's either those unknown values in the bottom-right (not sure what they are, but the Gunblade ones seem to be consistent across every Seifer encounter except for the final Disc 2 one which uses a different 'actor') or it's some kind of hard-coded deal. I also see 2e5 used in the top two sometimes, or 209. Any info on how this works would be appreciated.

Edit: By chance, I used the wrong Seifer during a test and was surprised to see it working fine (used the Disc 2 version of him, where he fights the party alone). No text displayed when Rinoa & Irvine appeared but it otherwise seemed to be OK. I'm checking & comparing their AI at the mo.

Just to clarify, here's how it's going down now:
I've got the formation set up as 1) Seifer, 2) Gunblade, 3) Edea (using Edea's default flags and flags taken from Seifer #1 in Formation #195)

If I use Seifer #1 (Disc 1 Seifer) in that slot then only he will load, Gunblade + Edea won't be visible, and he himself will run his Death script as Rinoa + Irvine run in before the game hangs. But if I use Seifer #2 (Disc 2, Fight 1) then the fight loads correctly with gunblade synch, etc. albeit with the initial Rinoa/Irvine text missing (I think this might be run from Edea, but if she's not in the 1st spot of the formation it maybe doesn't play or something; don't know how the game triggers this as there's nothing in Edea's AI for it as far as I can see).
« Last Edit: 2017-09-26 03:45:55 by Sega Chief »

Girl next door

• View Profile
Re: FF8 - Seifer & Gunblade Animation Desynch Problem
« Reply #1 on: 2017-09-28 16:39:06 »
Did you change the AI with the Ifrit version of JWP ? I've encountered lots of issues due to this.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2017-09-28 23:11:50 »
Yeah, I eventually isolated the problems I was having down to the AI section of the tool. I was able to modify Edea's AI with no problems but modifications to Seifer's AI were causing all sorts of problems. Doing anything with Seifer #2's AI would turn Edea's model into a bugged mess (this got me wrongly thinking the problem was somewhere in the export/import process) but after going through it step by step I realised it only happened if I touched Seifer's AI in any way.

I guess enemies that link up to other actors are being broken by the AI compiler in some way. Are there any other problematic enemies you've encountered that I should be careful of?

Girl next door

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2017-09-29 08:16:25 »
All the enemies in fact. The only solution I found is to isolate enemies. If you put 2 different ennemies with modificated AI together, you will have problems like that:

If you put 2 enemies and there is only one with modified AI, it could work but not in every battle scene.

Maybe you should wait for a new version of Ifrit.

JWP

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2017-09-29 09:34:13 »
I'm guessing that it might be either due to the way the if statements are encoded or due to an issue with how the offsets are adjusted.
I'm working on a newer version but I'm rewriting a lot of the code because it's a hacky mess.