Author Topic: FF7Music.exe instability  (Read 4323 times)

auxili160

• View Profile
FF7Music.exe instability
« on: 2008-06-08 05:58:56 »
This patch works fine for me, except for one thing.

I'm using Windows XP, and, while each song is buffering (within 10-30 seconds of a song starting) FF7Music is prone to locking up. First the song will get really choppy and then FF7Music will freeze. I alt+tab out of FF7 and FF7Music is not responding.

I've tried different buffering configs, both out dlls, different settings and such, but I cannot stop FF7Music from playing songs choppily and freezing.

I also don't know how the old version of FF7Music work (the ones that only have a setup program and not an operate-while-open program).

obesebear

• View Profile
Re: FF7Music.exe instability
« Reply #1 on: 2008-06-08 08:15:43 »
It sounds like your RAM is getting used up.  I doubt FF7Music is a very memory intensive program... but you can try shutting down unnecessary processes in your task manager or upgrading your RAM....  even raising your virtual RAM could possibly help.

Also make sure you're running it in compatibility mode for windows 98/me just in case.

auxili160

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008-06-08 09:54:17 »
I'm running XP with 1gb of ram, with 700~mb free while running ff7 and ff7music. Ram ain't the least of my problems. :P
And yeah, I also tried different compatibility modes.
No cake.

EDIT:
Never mind, it seems I got it to work with more fiddling. Setting it to no compatibility, out_wave, and microsoft sound mapper seems to do the trick.
Thanks for the help, I wouldn't have thought of resetting the compatibility options if it wasn't for you. I overlooked that after changing it to 98/2000. Silly me.
:)
« Last Edit: 2008-06-08 10:33:25 by auxili160 »

CLobo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008-06-13 16:19:57 »
I'm running XP with 1gb of ram, with 700~mb free while running ff7 and ff7music. Ram ain't the least of my problems. :P
And yeah, I also tried different compatibility modes.
No cake.

EDIT:
Never mind, it seems I got it to work with more fiddling. Setting it to no compatibility, out_wave, and microsoft sound mapper seems to do the trick.
Thanks for the help, I wouldn't have thought of resetting the compatibility options if it wasn't for you. I overlooked that after changing it to 98/2000. Silly me.
:)

Hehe when you mess around with the possibile issues you end up fixing it yourself :).

auxili160

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008-06-13 21:08:34 »
Same thing happened with ffvii. I was sure that I wouldn't get it to work. Then, after two days, I uninstalled it and reinstalled it... and it worked. LOL
Then came getting the vids to play (installing a standalone trumotion codec, methinks, fixed it), fixing the black screen problem when character models are implemented in movies (uninstalled k-lite to fix), getting ffvii to run smoothly (changed to win98/2000 compatibility), and then installing all of the other patches (chocobo patch, minigames patch, and other personal preference patches like 9999limit break and transparent windows).

E-Daddy

« Reply #5 on: 2008-06-17 20:43:48 »
yes ff7music is unstable for me too in Vista.  But I can't use MIDI music in Vista with loopbe and without it, the game gets jerky.  Are there any other MIDI Drivers/fixes I could use?

P.S.  How do you use out_wave & microsoft sound mapper?

auxili160

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008-06-18 03:07:11 »
You change the options of Wave_out. That's all there is to it.