Author Topic: buy pc ff7 or no?  (Read 5131 times)

icawn

• View Profile
buy pc ff7 or no?
« on: 2008-06-15 15:49:54 »
i have it for psx, but it would be nice to play it on pc.  after seeing all these problems people are having, i don't know if i want to deal with the headache.  is it seriously as bad as it seems?  maybe i should just install an emulator and use my psx discs instead.    sure some of the model upgrades would be nice though.

i have a dell inspiron 9300 laptop.  geforce 6800 go, windows xp

dziugo

• View Profile
    • A new copy of FF7 thanks to Salk. Pack (zip/rar/etc) your saved game before sending it to me.
Re: buy pc ff7 or no?
« Reply #1 on: 2008-06-15 17:00:09 »
Well, you should be able to get it working, so if it's the only thing you're worried about, go for PC.

icawn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008-06-15 19:00:42 »
well, i just see myself having all these issues at the chocobos, the submarine, getting trapped at the quit screen and control issues, random crashes, black texture problems, discoloration, and god knows what else people have been having trouble with.  i would not want to have software rendering as the only way.  that defeats the whole purpose of playing on the pc.

is there some place that has all of these patch files put together?  all zipped up real easy.  so i can only copy-over what i want, and don't have to research every single patch and have to install every single one individually..  one thing that would get annoying is constantly modifying text files between tedious game reloads--for different variables to tweak things to where they were meant to be, etc. 

from my skimming over all these things.. it's just a real turn off and i imagine most people give up or don't even bother as well.

auxili160

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008-06-15 20:59:25 »
You can easily find every patch you need. Do a little searching.

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008-06-15 22:36:29 »
Its really worth buying to be able to play with all the enhancements this forum offers... even if you do spend a few hair pulling hours trying to get it to work for the first time!

And if you get stuck there are always people here to ask, or you can just search the forums for an answer and solve it yourself, which is what I did.

And with the voice-over project coming up I think its well worth it!

*:.Griever.:*

• Formerly Tidus_Lionheart
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008-06-15 22:48:43 »
In my opinion, the PR-P makes the PC version of this game worth it alone.
Just the new models adds a whole new lease on life to this game, even though as Appz Freak said in his thread, the game is still the same, and he says it makes it worse, because it shows all the old textures and such on backgrounds even more.
But personally, I think it adds to the game, because it's something we'll likely never see anytime in the next 5 years from Squeenix.

What the awesome modders are doing on this forum are the closest we are going to get to a remake for a while.

Terid__K

« Reply #6 on: 2008-06-16 03:08:11 »
PCs are always going to give you headaches. Sometimes big, sometimes small. This game gave me lots of headaches to get it working properly, but I eventually got it. I've never had problems with it again ever since.

This forum helped me a lot. Just remember, the search function is your friend. Whatever problem you may run into, I can assure you the answer lies somewhere on this forum.

The sticky in this section covers most of the major issues, but there's one they still haven't put there, for whatever reason. Make sure you use the default Windows AVI Splitter (If you have a Codec Pack that comes with a non-default one. Those will usually be Haali Splitter or Gabest), or else the cutscenes and the characters won't interact, wich is vital in FF7. The screen will also go completely blank in a few areas.

auxili160

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008-06-16 03:23:23 »
What Teris said.
Once ff7pc gets working, it's way better than ff7psx.

icawn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2008-06-16 06:39:59 »
ok well i found it at a local game shop.  this bugger wasn't exactly cheap.  anyway i installed it.  ran it, all the textures were black.  the intro movie played fine, and so did the sound.  but when cloud got off the train, everything except him and barret were black.

so, after installing 1.02, and making sure all AA and AF was disabled.  i ran it again.  this time the textures displayed fine.  there were no gridlines.  for d3d, it looked pretty damn non-3d and ugly-looking if i do say so myself.  anyway, it crashed as soon as i ran into the first battle confrontation.

the 8-bit textures don't say "fail", they say "---".  i assume that means fail.  according to everyone else, most of the nvidia cards should be supporting the 8-bit textures.  i guess my 6800 go does not. 

i was messing around with riva tuner for the hell of it as well.  i went in to try and disable the 8-bit textures this way, but its not an option to uncheck.  the only option i can uncheck is "Enable 16/32-bit RGB/RGBA textures".  altering this has no effect on the game.

i tried running it again, and this time it did not crash when entering a battle confrontation,  it seems to be ok now.  the only bit of annoyance is that the music plays faster than the psx.  in fact the sound in general is not as good.  i guess i could get used to that though.

man i miss the 90s.  3dfx was the sh*t and -everything- worked back than...
« Last Edit: 2008-06-16 07:09:37 by icawn »

dziugo

• View Profile
    • A new copy of FF7 thanks to Salk. Pack (zip/rar/etc) your saved game before sending it to me.
« Reply #9 on: 2008-06-16 07:07:19 »
If it crashes right before the battle swirl should appear, install YAMP + MiniGamesPatch. There is a readme inside the thread, so you'll probably have to read it, but the problem should disappear after you installed it.

auxili160

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008-06-16 07:52:59 »
8-bit is always fail or ---. It doesn't matter.
If you run hardware, it's ---, if you run software, it's fail. No big deal.

As for the music, it's time for you to configure ficedula's ff7music. It'll take you a while if you aren't lucky, but it's worth it.