Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] Multiple mods and Modding Framework-The Reunion [R06f]  (Read 3048532 times)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] Multiple mods - The Reunion (R03c)
« Reply #1825 on: 2015-08-22 22:14:57 »
The menu is now 100% done from my side.  A final before and after

before
http://oi60.tinypic.com/15dwbi8.jpg

after
http://oi60.tinypic.com/23ruaeo.jpg

Originally the boxes overlapped (but waited), in the original version. 

I'm also starting to think "Perfected" is a better localization than Devised.  But it's too long anyway, so sticking with devised.
« Last Edit: 2015-08-22 22:17:47 by DLPB »

White Wind

• View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: 2015-08-23 07:51:37 »
Yes yes YES

Superb

I love that screen.
Just the full stops seem out of place to me ( "was born." and "was devised." ) I think it's not meant to be a sentence, but more like a note.

And I'm wondering what actually should be yellow.
Things related to the characters being yellow and things related to the materia being white, makes sense ( the other way around would make sense too ) but I can't help thinking that a new materia being born is an event special enough to deserve yellow.
Or maybe the most special in both category should be yellow : character level up - white  /  character limit break - yellow,  and,  materia level up - white  /  materia created - yellow
Or all yellow, with the name of the newly created materia being yellow, and the "Level Up" of the materia box being yellow too.

Timber

• View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: 2015-08-23 12:08:39 »
The PSX buttons will be added to Steam in the new version, XBox will not.

I think that's a bit silly, and I assume is motivated only by nostalgia.

This is a PC game, and here on the PC, Xinput / Xbox button layout has been the gamepad standard for a good 10 years now.

Xbox gamepads, and other PC gamepads that use the 'ABXY' layout, are used by the overwhelming majority of PC gamers.

Could you please add the option to choose?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: 2015-08-23 12:21:21 »
The xbox isn't being added firstly because this is  PS game and the buttons don't suit and secondly because it's a load of work.  If someone wants to edit the game texture to add them and make them look great in game, I'll add them.  The new version of Reunion has been stripped down to what I want in the mod, the old version will be finalized and for people who want the other enhancements.  The new version of Reunion has abandoned nearly all the graphic enhancements because they do not fit the game and will never ever be complete. 
« Last Edit: 2015-08-23 12:23:36 by DLPB »

Aavock

• View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: 2015-08-23 16:12:48 »
After watching some FFVII on iOS, I've noticed that the "Quit" option in the menu was removed and it definitely looks more "PSX-like":

Thanks to the hex documentation, the box is resized on the screen below and the "Quit" text is invisible; this is how the game looks like right now but the "Quit" selection is still available... Any idea how to get rid of it? Would it be a good addition for The Reunion?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1830 on: 2015-08-23 20:12:46 »
I'm leaving the quit menu in tact (easier to close game in fs mode), but it's very easy to remove the option.  Look for the assembly that deals with the cursor position and you'll find where the limiting code is. 

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: 2015-08-23 20:59:13 »
Is it possible to add the soft reset key combo of the PSX to PC?

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: 2015-08-23 21:05:28 »
Is it possible to add the soft reset key combo of the PSX to PC?

I have no idea how, if so.

Aavock

• View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: 2015-08-23 23:53:49 »
Look for the assembly that deals with the cursor position and you'll find where the limiting code is. 

Thanks, all I did so far was hex editing based on the documentation, I don't even know what tools to use and where to look at. :-[

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: 2015-08-24 00:01:12 »
Thanks, all I did so far was hex editing based on the documentation, I don't even know what tools to use and where to look at. :-[

use Cheat Engine.  Move the cursor and keep checking CHANGED values.  From there you can narrow down where the code is being used.  You can even guess what the values may be to make it easier.  When pointing to Item, the likely cursor value is 0, for example (because it is the first position).

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: 2015-08-24 00:10:14 »
I'll do this one for you.  But only this one ;)

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: 2015-08-24 00:28:28 »
006CA17C = 6A 0A               

Will solve it.

If there is another issue, look above that as there is another "0B"  that may need altering.  Keep me posted.

Aavock

• View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: 2015-08-24 02:22:14 »
It works, ;D love it that way, much appreciated, everything seems to run flawlessly and no crashes during tutorials. Thank you!

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: 2015-08-24 03:05:29 »
The tutorials don't use quit menu anyway.  They're designed for psx.

MEMANIAsama

• View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: 2015-08-24 03:29:30 »
The new version of Reunion has abandoned nearly all the graphic enhancements because they do not fit the game and will never ever be complete.

Glad to hear it. I always felt this was the weirdest/weakest part of the whole thing because it was such a gigantic and slow process. I personally think the graphics look alright on the PC, very smooth looking. Would less pixely pre-rendered fully painted BGs be cool? Of course, but nobody has time for that, and the remake is going to give everyone the fancy HD graphics they've been craving.

Also, in regards to the person asking for Xbox Buttons. If they have the Steam version there's a mod already out that replaces the [MENU] [CANCEL] etc. text with the icons for the Xbox buttons. It should be compatible with this mod (maybe not the new menu mods though.)

Anyways, now for the reason I came here to post:

There's something weird I noticed in the retranslation that seemed out of place. This occurs before the date at Gold Saucer, when everyone is gathered at Ghost Square and Cloud is telling his story. When everyone is ready to turn in for bed, Yuffie says something that seemed extra childish, like it was missing a word or something. I don't remember the specific sentence but she said something along the lines of "I going bed now too." I feel like a "to" is missing in there.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: 2015-08-24 03:32:23 »
It may be British thing.  We use this here all the time (missing words doesn't constitute a mistake in that sentence especially).  It's one for Covarr.

Personally the way I did it flows better imho.  I don't know anyone in my area who would use the "to" there because it's redundant.  And it sounds more awkward with the "too".  "I'm going to bed now too"
« Last Edit: 2015-08-24 03:33:58 by DLPB »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: 2015-08-24 04:15:31 »
The new dialogue boxes are finally done.  Nice and neat and this time the scroll and box height are properly calculated.  All that's left now is to try my hand at autosizing the boxes in assembly.  We'll see what happens.
« Last Edit: 2015-08-24 07:48:49 by DLPB »

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: 2015-08-24 08:36:24 »
Also, in regards to the person asking for Xbox Buttons. If they have the Steam version there's a mod already out that replaces the [MENU] [CANCEL] etc. text with the icons for the Xbox buttons. It should be compatible with this mod (maybe not the new menu mods though.)

It is not because the Reunion changes the texts and the X-Box button mod changes the text too (it simply replace the flevel if I remember it right). Well if the button mod would use a proper installer (I can't blame him because I can't make a good one myself) then it would be possible with ToughScript and DLPB's Tools 2.0 to replace the text for the buttons only.

MEMANIAsama

• View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: 2015-08-24 14:18:09 »
It may be British thing. 

Probably. My wife who is watching me play through the game also caught it and thought it sounded weird, like a form of baby talk or something. Might be one of those weird things that could be changed between the American English & British English options if that's still a thing.

Both ways are correct, it just depends on what you're used to hearing I think.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: 2015-08-24 16:47:34 »
It may be British thing.  We use this here all the time (missing words doesn't constitute a mistake in that sentence especially).  It's one for Covarr.

Personally the way I did it flows better imho.  I don't know anyone in my area who would use the "to" there because it's redundant.  And it sounds more awkward with the "too".  "I'm going to bed now too"
I thought I brought this up before. It would absolutely not be used this way in the US.

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1845 on: 2015-08-24 17:02:31 »
Nah that was another one.  There's been a lot of this type thing :P

I'll add to British / American changes.  It is "I'm going bed now too" not "I"  though, in my text.
« Last Edit: 2015-08-24 17:09:32 by DLPB »

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1846 on: 2015-08-24 17:14:55 »
Mistake corrected.  Covarr recommended "acting" in the last line and I think it sounds better.

tin_2

before
“Stop it!
  You’re adults,aren’t you?
  Then behave like one.”

after
“Stop it!
  You’re an adult,aren’t you?
  Then start acting like one.”

« Last Edit: 2015-08-25 01:03:16 by DLPB »

MEMANIAsama

• View Profile
« Reply #1847 on: 2015-08-24 18:33:20 »
It is "I'm going bed now too" not "I"  though, in my text.

Yeah, I was just going from memory.

I think the American version would probably be "I'm going to bed too." or "I'm going to bed now."

DLPB_

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #1848 on: 2015-08-26 04:33:03 »
Reunion R03c is now removed.  Please wait for the next installer, which will be here in the next few days.

The next installers will be:

R03d:  a finalized version of Reunion with the updated font and menu graphics.  It will only support 1998 version.

R04: the ongoing project, which will always use the old font and menu graphics from this point on.  It will support 1998 version and Steam.

---------------------
R03d:
1998 version only
Retranslation (optional)
Basic compatibility with Hardcore (it's never been great)
New font (forced)
New menu graphics (some optional)
Break 1999 limit (optional)
Long/short status text (optional)
Models (optional)
Mempatches (optional)
60fps battles (optional)
updated minigames (optional)
field fixes (optional)

R04:
1998 + Steam.
Retranslation (forced)
Old font (forced)
old menu graphics (forced)
Break 1999 HP (removed)
short status text (forced)
models (optional)
Soldier Quest (Optional. I will get round to it someday :P)
mempatches (optional)
60fps battles (optional)
Weapon (optional, and still incomplete so will only install minigame updates for now)
field fixes (forced)

---------------------

I appreciate some people may think the new version is going backwards but the changes have been necessary for the following reasons:

1. I no longer want to support the updated font and graphics as they do not fit in with the original game style and never will do (because to do so would require everything else being updated including the engine).

2. The work load that has been needed to make all these mods work together with a ton of options has been stupid and from the start a ridiculous decision by me.

3.  With the Steam version now coming into the mix, things have gotten even more complicated, so now I want to concentrate solely on the original game.

I want to put effort where it is needed.

« Last Edit: 2015-09-04 21:12:38 by DLPB »

Aavock

• View Profile
« Reply #1849 on: 2015-08-26 15:29:56 »
The PSX buttons will be added to Steam in the new version, XBox will not.

Does it involve any usfont *.tex files editing by replacing any unused character by the PSX symbols? If so, are the buttons remain "plain" purple text using triangle/circle/cross/square shapes or colored buttons like the PS1 version?