Author Topic: [FF9] Summon models  (Read 5582 times)

Jack Back

• View Profile
[FF9] Summon models
« on: 2014-08-24 21:17:55 »
Hello there everyone.  :)

It's been quite some time since the game came out and I wanted to figure out if there was anyone able to extract or rip summon models ? In particular I am interested in Bahamut model. Tried to use Noesis programm and DB-extractor but didn't find summons in the field models or monster data folders.

If anyone has any information on this topic please share. Thanks.

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
Re: [FF9] Summon models
« Reply #1 on: 2014-08-24 21:41:55 »
I recall being able to extract them with Noesis alone. I'm not 100% positive but pretty sure you can.

Jack Back

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2014-08-24 22:06:07 »
I recall being able to extract them with Noesis alone. I'm not 100% positive but pretty sure you can.

Could you please tell in which directory they are located so it will be easier to find ?

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2014-08-24 22:23:41 »
Seems like I spoke too soon. I just now quickly checked the first file of each directory and none of them appear to be summons. However I may have overlooked a couple of things, so it's always good to check in behind me.

JBedford128

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2014-08-24 23:15:11 »
I've been told they're in directory 13 (the last one) along with other magic effects, though they're not in a format Noesis understands.

Jack Back

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2014-08-27 22:05:37 »
Here's an update, I contacted Zidane_2 (the one who made DB-extractor) and asked him about summon models extraction from FF9. He answered me the following:

" Oh, DB-extractor only works with files started with HEX:  DB XX XX XX XX. In 13 dir may be compressed files, I can't find any logic when view it hex editor. Good way is use emulator capable set breakpoints on CD reading - pause game before summon, set breakpoint, summon, catch breakpoint - dump psx memory, view what sector was readed, try to find needed file in FF9.IMG by searching in log.txt files by field "Start Sector:   " (this sector is from begining of FF9.IMG, don't forget add starting sector of FF9.IMG on CD to this sector number). Dumped psx memory may be loaded into IDA and you may go to address what you catched, but this is hardest part - to find CD read caller and file format parser (tracing in emulator debugger may help find address), and after you will try to understand what this code doing - reading this file into internal game format or firstly decode/decompress. "

He also gave me PCSX emulator with modified debugger.

" At that time, there were two versions of PCSX with the debugger, one tracing was comfortable enough to do, and even view the memory in the other there were such things as setting breakpoints to read the disc. Of these two, I made one. "

So, if anyone want try to extract summon models from the game by himself Here's PCSX emulator with merged debugger that may help (run pcsx3.exe):

- https://mega.co.nz/#!51wXlAiZ!dXsE86Q9q2ZLoFPTDeArBKEq9wOd4B34I88a1qoMY1E
« Last Edit: 2014-08-28 00:21:21 by Jack Back »