Author Topic: The Berserk Attacks ? (FFVII)  (Read 3862 times)

Armorvil

• Working on : FFVII Total Grudge
    • View Profile
The Berserk Attacks ? (FFVII)
« on: 2011-04-05 17:39:01 »
It's been bothering me for a while, now. All enemies have a designated Berserk attack, but it seems the data that tells an enemy which attack to use when under Berserk, isn't in Scene.bin.

For example, the enemy 2-Faced that you encounter in the Corel Prison can be put under Berserk, but doesn't have a designated Berserk attack - according to Terence's FAQ. The FAQ mentions that if you Berserk 2-Faced, this enemy will try to use a non-existent attack, and since this attack's data is entirely made of FFs, it ends up costing 65535 MP. Too many for 2-Faced to use. For someone who knows about FFVII's mechanics this makes sense, but...

...The thing is : this blank attack in *not* in 2-Faced's list of attacks. Normally, these dummied attacks are just blank spots, and exist in the enemies' animation list (Dual Horn and its 3rd physical attack comes to mind). The fact that 2-Faced looks for an attack Proud Clod doesn't list, for its Berserk attack, makes no sense to me.

I feel that we need infos on Berserk attacks - if only just to fix 2-Faced and a few other foes (Doorbull, Guardian, Manhole, X-Cannon, and Helletic Hojo's right arm). And sure, it's easy to fix this by making those enemies immune against Berserk, but I'd be interesting in knowing the inner workings behind this :) (not to mention the fact that I'd like to change some Berserk attacks, in my mod).

EDIT:

Never mind, I figured it out just after posting the thread (one of my bad habits, you might say -_-) ...

The Berserk attack is just the first ability in the Manipulate attack list. Since most enemies that aren't manipulable have a blank attack listed in the first slot, it explains the behavior of 2-Faced and the others. So yeah, the Berserk attacks indeed are in scene.bin, but I won't edit my first paragraph in this topic. I'll leave it for posterity, as a reminder of my own stupidity and me jumping to conclusions :P
« Last Edit: 2011-04-05 18:34:40 by Armorvil »

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: The Berserk Attacks ? (FFVII)
« Reply #1 on: 2011-04-05 19:08:28 »
It's been bothering me for a while, now. All enemies have a designated Berserk attack, but it seems the data that tells an enemy which attack to use when under Berserk, isn't in Scene.bin.

For example, the enemy 2-Faced that you encounter in the Corel Prison can be put under Berserk, but doesn't have a designated Berserk attack - according to Terence's FAQ. The FAQ mentions that if you Berserk 2-Faced, this enemy will try to use a non-existent attack, and since this attack's data is entirely made of FFs, it ends up costing 65535 MP. Too many for 2-Faced to use. For someone who knows about FFVII's mechanics this makes sense, but...

...The thing is : this blank attack in *not* in 2-Faced's list of attacks. Normally, these dummied attacks are just blank spots, and exist in the enemies' animation list (Dual Horn and its 3rd physical attack comes to mind). The fact that 2-Faced looks for an attack Proud Clod doesn't list, for its Berserk attack, makes no sense to me.

I feel that we need infos on Berserk attacks - if only just to fix 2-Faced and a few other foes (Doorbull, Guardian, Manhole, X-Cannon, and Helletic Hojo's right arm). And sure, it's easy to fix this by making those enemies immune against Berserk, but I'd be interesting in knowing the inner workings behind this :) (not to mention the fact that I'd like to change some Berserk attacks, in my mod).

EDIT:

Never mind, I figured it out just after posting the thread (one of my bad habits, you might say -_-) ...

The Berserk attack is just the first ability in the Manipulate attack list. Since most enemies that aren't manipulable have a blank attack listed in the first slot, it explains the behavior of 2-Faced and the others. So yeah, the Berserk attacks indeed are in scene.bin, but I won't edit my first paragraph in this topic. I'll leave it for posterity, as a reminder of my own stupidity and me jumping to conclusions :P

Yup, Berserk is the first manipulate attack. 2-faced doesn't have one defined, so that's why Berserking it makes it try and cast an impossible attack costing 65,535 MP.

Really, someone should post a big FAQ about modding limitations and how to achieve some common tasks. Maybe I'll do it, in the vein of my Battle Error thread, and with the benefit of some experience using AI to implement new mechanics.

Armorvil

• Working on : FFVII Total Grudge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2011-04-06 09:00:03 »
This is a great idea :D

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2011-04-06 21:10:22 »
I could do it... but not right now. And, just for the fun of it, Garland made a video where he gave 2-faced 65 535 MP and berserk'd it. That caused a data error.

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: 2011-04-06 21:31:09 »
There's no reason it has to be a one-person, one-post thread.

Let me compile a few things and we'll get something down in the next few days.

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2011-04-06 21:46:51 »
Oh, yeah, like ff7-2 the spreadsheet by halkun. :)