Author Topic: *SPOILERS* Thoughts on the FF movie *SPOILERS*  (Read 2454 times)

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
*SPOILERS* Thoughts on the FF movie *SPOILERS*
« on: 2001-07-12 20:47:00 »
Even though I enjoyed the FF movie, I *will* own the DVD and will see it again. I'm sure that there was some things that was odd about it. I'll touch on some of them.

1) Religion in Science Fiction:
I don't know. Even thegoigh Gaia crops up in most if the later FF games. Seeing the story put out as "this is what happens when you die, that's a fact" I couldn't help but feel preached at. Kind if like if you went to a christain movie and said that basicly your going to hell if you don't beleave in Jesus. The christain reviews on the web will have a field day with this aspect of the move. Saying it's trying to convert the youths to saitanism and that it's based on an RPG and sumsuch.  Maybe it's my american thinking, but isn't religoin pretty much a no-no in Science Fiction. Sakaguchi was pretty brave to go that on the big screen.

2) Jeez Aki, get a figgen tissue!
I think she cried too mich. The story of how she go infected was kind of sad. It's not really that, when she was kind-of whimpering during the second "kissing scene", it was really pethetic. On the flip side, I think Aki gave him the tounge.

3) I didn't hate the bad guy enough:
Is it me or did Zeifer just die his hair and put on a black trenchcoat. He seem the annoying pion and I was waiting for the *real* end boss to show up.

4) stock footage:
there were some scenes *I swear to god* was ripped from FF7. The whole cliff and the lifestream bit for example. and the lifestream floating up to the sky remininded me of FF7s opening.

5) "Oh, it's warm!" (The ending)
Whenever the move was slow I just sat back and gawked at the animation. I do that with the games too. But I think the last words were supposed to inspire you. It just came off, however, like Cid just peeed his pants. I felt like the move didn't end. Like they didn't finish rendering it. I saw the moutains, that looked real, but the was no animation to gawk at execpt for the eagle. Not's not much to leave me with. The could of just had the music go to a high pitch and then fade, or switch to black. Silence, Then the music. (They could of snuk prologe in there somewhere My buddies and I was singing it at the top of our lungs in the threater during the credits)
-You guys have anything to add?

Caddberry

• View Profile
    • http://animenfo.com/
*SPOILERS* Thoughts on the FF movie *SPOILERS*
« Reply #1 on: 2001-07-13 10:19:00 »
You were right no man.. and yeah i Swear that was Seifer.. Yeah the whole lifestream bit too.. but another thing

Did you notice how nothing Dripped.. Aki had no tears when she cried.. No dripping blood. .and in the scene where some guy picked up a glass of what seemed to be alcohol there was no condensation.. now that i could imagine espically if it was warm .. but nothing in the movie dripped...

For some odd reason it felt really slow to me too.. and i didnt hate the bad guy near enough.. yeah sure he seemed like an asshole but still .. he wasnt that bad of a guy.. i think i would invite him to a barbeque..

The animation was a great step forward.. and i did like how they threw in suttle things from the games.. but it just seemed too staged i guess.. almost like the characters knew what was going to happen before it did..

Decent movie.. I will probably buy the DvD.. espically if it has interviews and the like but i am still gonna think about buyin it.. maybe i will just rip it..