Author Topic: (Death To) Inactive Member's  (Read 9340 times)

Thrashamatrix

• There is no spoon, kid....
    • View Profile
(Death To) Inactive Member's
« on: 2006-05-09 17:33:39 »
This is aimed more at the people contributing to the forums lately and of course our ever present god "Qhimm".

Why don't the members of Qhimm.forums who have been inactive for at least a year and the people who have left the forums for good, have their account deleted.

It just cleans up the whole site a little, methinks.

Some people have not posted since 2003 thats a long time to keep an account, but it's just an idea

Or even a roll call, paste every ones nickname and make every one "sign in" and the people who don't, get deleted and have to re-register.

I know it's a bit harsh but check the member lists and you will see my point.

Jedimark

• View Profile
Re: (Death To) Inactive Member's
« Reply #1 on: 2006-05-09 17:51:09 »
Qhimm has already said he intends to purge inactive accounts as part of the forum maintenance.

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
« Reply #2 on: 2006-05-10 00:58:21 »
We did once not too long ago delete all of the members who had 0 posts.  I don't know if we'll go any further than that.

Relf

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006-05-10 02:02:25 »
Couldn't you find away to delete them based off activity and post? If they have under 100 posts and have not visited the site in more then 6 months, give them the kick?

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
« Reply #4 on: 2006-05-10 08:48:46 »
There's no point in deleting accounts which has posts, since those posts will then become either authorless, or tied to a disabled user. The first case screws up the topic pages, the second provides no benefit since the user is still there in the database.

Thrashamatrix

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006-05-10 16:12:37 »
Oh I see, but is there a way you could go and delete the deleted member's posts individualy (four thousand, nine hundred and twenty four, four thousand nine hundred and twenty five, four thousand nine hundred and twenty six. :evil:) or every post of said deleted member? :roll:

---EDIT---
Why do we want to delete old posts?  That would just make a mess in old threads with posts missing.
We want to, because they don't come to the forums or contribute anymore, about the mess, delete the whole topic. :|
« Last Edit: 2006-05-10 16:41:37 by Thrashamatrix »

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
« Reply #6 on: 2006-05-10 16:30:50 »
Why do we want to delete old posts?  That would just make a mess in old threads with posts missing.

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
« Reply #7 on: 2006-05-10 17:24:25 »
On a similar note, we should burn all copies of Einstein's Theory of Relativity, because God knows he's not around to contribute anymore.

Thrashamatrix

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006-05-10 17:39:11 »
(Ouch, you know when ever I see a post by Qhimm next to mine, I get a bit worried and then I brace myself for the witty/snappy usually cruel/ruthless comment/remark and and I ALWAYS get a burned)

What I am saying, Qhimm, is maybe getting rid of our "one hit wonders" from 2003, will help the site...

And I know this wont be on the same scale as Einstein's Theory of Relativity.

Relf

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006-05-10 21:14:13 »
Well, my idea of it was simply this, they posted once demanding help on a question that was answered a million times already, or asking for their file to be moved on. Then we never seen them again. They are no help to us, and God knows they are not pioneering the future of physics with their post.

odo324

• View Profile
    • http://www.mindscape.siteburg.com
« Reply #10 on: 2006-05-12 06:25:41 »
Quote from: Thrashamatrix
It just cleans up the whole site a little, methinks.
Perhaps, but the ends don't always justify the means. As Qhimm implied, such an action would likely cause just as much clutter. Although in a different way (ie: Posted by Anomomus).

Quote from: Thrashamatrix
Or even a roll call...
FYI: On many Bulletin Boards, the exact time of which a user logs in is recorded, right down to the second. This integer is then overwritten with each subsequent login to provide that oh-so-common "view posts since last visit" feature :P.

Quote from: Relf
They are no help to us...
True... Philosophical/Psychological reasons aside, why are such users a burden? Its the active users who cause stress on the database, not the inactive. Are they cluttering up the forums? Well, I'd kind of have to agree (kind of); but the decision on which_topics/when to delete/move is strictly up to the moderator in charge. Uh? What’s left?

Midgar

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006-05-12 07:15:35 »
I disagree, deleting those old posts from the inactive would make the pirates and annoying have a reason to not search. They may have the same problem and therefore annoy the active constantly. Seems pointless for them to be deleted and cause strange missing replies and  quotes from nowhere.

Relf

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006-05-13 01:06:55 »
Well, one could simply make these posts worthless, if a large scale FAQ was made.

HBK187

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006-05-14 13:54:48 »
Hi Just wanted to say that i've been a member here for awhile. I've made a few posts on stuff i knew or my oppinion on one thing or another but not a whole lot and i doubt anything would be considered really important but i am sure i'm not the only one who doesnt post a lot but comes here all the time n e ways. I come because i like to troll the boards and read a lot of interesting stuff see new stuff get help occasionally and offer what i can when i can. If people are gonna be deleted which it doesnt look like its gonna happen but is a possibility I'd like to say I'm here! just quiet hehe

Thrashamatrix

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006-05-14 17:20:06 »
HBK187: :wink: I know what you mean but people like you are great to have as part of the forum, but what some of us are concerned about is the people who have not been here since about 2003.

Not the people who come on a regular basis even if they do not post that much.

Remember it's not the quantity of your post's its the quality :-P

Moggraider

• View Profile
    • Moggraider's Site
« Reply #15 on: 2006-06-03 14:36:11 »
Inactive members will live forever!

Sad Jari

« Reply #16 on: 2006-06-03 14:45:32 »
Like you?  :-D

Emerald Weapon

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2006-06-03 21:01:58 »
Jeez, his last post was more than 4 years ago!

Why still bother coming and posting this?

No they won't.

Sad Jari

« Reply #18 on: 2006-06-03 21:32:24 »
Why still bother coming and posting this?
Well, why not? :-P

I'm surprised that the notification emails resurrected only one member. Although to be completely honest, I have seen couple more hanging around, but not posting. :-)

Sukaeto

• View Profile
    • Sukaeto's web server
« Reply #19 on: 2006-06-04 03:42:28 »

Oh my god!  He's still alive!

Creative Inc

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2006-06-14 09:23:13 »
You also have to take into consideration the number of people who sign up just to read the forums. I for one am a person who like to read more then post and it wouldn't be uncommon for me to join a site just to read some things from time to time. So if you want to delete accounts with zero posts, take that into consideration and perhaps base it of their activity as well.

Vehek

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2006-06-14 14:29:58 »
Who ever said you need to sign up to read the forums? I was guest since just before the Reunion patch was completed and only signed up recently.

dziugo

• View Profile
    • A new copy of FF7 thanks to Salk. Pack (zip/rar/etc) your saved game before sending it to me.
« Reply #22 on: 2006-06-14 14:42:21 »
I believe it's just to keep a track of new posts and to have the forum personalized.

Simon

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2006-06-18 11:30:27 »
I joined in 2000. I might not post much but I would like to keep my account if nobody minds  :wink:

MagiMaster

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2006-06-20 19:59:53 »
I believe it's just to keep a track of new posts and to have the forum personalized.

...and to have a cool avatar! :-D (said MagiMaster hypocritacally) :oops: