Author Topic: what's up with Vincent/Lucretia?  (Read 3809 times)

fabriknos

• View Profile
    • http://www.heavy-industries.net
what's up with Vincent/Lucretia?
« on: 2004-10-26 03:41:08 »
ok so i randomly came across that pool with the waterfall via the submarine you get after collecting the Huge Materia - and saw that little sequence when Vincent finds Lucretia again. so let me get this right - Hojo or Gast or whoever used Lucretia as a "specimen" to give birth to Sephiroth? but she said she has Jenova cells in her - so was she created as a specimen, or did she get the cells later on in order to give birth to Sephiroth? also, why did Gast/Hojo even want to create Sephiroth in the first place? i think i missed that bit of info.. can't remember any part in the game before this where that's explained. and lastly... what the hell is the point of this little sequence?? Lucretia just disappears after it, when Vincent tells her Sephiroth is dead... I don't get it. there doesn't seem to be any relevance to this point. any input would be appreciated.

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2004-10-26 06:45:33 »
Ok, here's the scope.

Gast was a scientist, who studied the Ancients, or, Cetra.  Hojo and Lucrecia were his assistants.  Vinny was there as protection.

Gast found what he THOUGHT was an acnient at the time: Jenova.

But that wasn't enough for him, oh no.  He wanted a living, breathing Cetra.

Knowing that Hojo and Lucrecia were an item, he waited for them to conceive a child.  While the child was in utero, professor Gast (with hojo and lucys permission, though vinyn objected) injected Jenova's cells\dna into Lucrecia's womb.  That way, the child would be a human/jenova hybrid (but he thought he was making the child a human/cetra hybrid).

The result was Sephiroth.  Human in apperance, with the powers of a god-like entity, though these powers were never fully realized until much later in Sephiroth's life.

Anyway, After that, Lucrecai dissapeared.  We see in the flashback that she cllapses, casuing vinny to go apeshit.  This results in hojo shooting him, mucking him up, and thrwing him into the side room in the basement.  Lucrecia evidently fled.  Gast, too, left, after freaking out that Jenova wasn't an Ancient (Naaw, ya think?!), and that he may have helped concot a monster (later meeting iflalna).

Lucrecia dreams of Sephiroth because she has J-cells, that which the clones all have, and links them to him.  Lucrecia probably has a smaller percentage then most injectes, as she has them in a second-rate sort of way.  Vinny tells her that Sephy is dad, becasue it was much easier for him to say that than "Oh, yeah, he's alive.  He's planning on destroying the planet and becoming a god becasue he went nuts which is all your fault for allowing the experiment, oh, and by the way, my friends and I here are on a quest to go kill him" =P

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
« Reply #2 on: 2004-10-26 07:57:46 »
Gast wasn't responsible for Sephiroth, in fact he realized JENOVA wasn't an ancient and abandoned that branch of research. Hojo however saw the potential JENOVA's cells and wanted to merge them with humans, against Gast's objections. Infusions was one idea, but in order to fully blend the two the infusion would have to take place at the conception of a child. He convinced Lucrecia (God knows how; "dear, let's turn our child into a mutant half-alien freak") to perform the infusion on their unborn child, and Sephiroth was the result. I don't know if Lucrecia saw it as a scientific experiment, but she cared for her son even if it drove her mad with anguish. Hojo however probably just had eyes for the potential scientific progress and exploitation.

Threesixty

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/threesixtyci/
« Reply #3 on: 2004-10-26 16:04:11 »
Well I have to admit that sound's dramaticly cool.

But the text in the story hints that Gast had a hand in the experment, it wasn't till he started traveling, searching for Answers....Such as going to Cosmo Canyon, and finding a true Ancient, that he realized the error he made.

The text also says that Lucretia never held her baby, it was taken away from her as soon as it was born.

--------

Sephiroth: (reading a book) ...an organism that was apparently dead, was found in a 2000 year old geological stratum. Professor Gast named that organism, Jenova... X Year, X Month, X Day. Jenova confirmed to be an Ancient ...X Year, X Month, X Day. Jenova Project approved. The use of Mako Reactor I approved for use... My mother's name is Jenova... Jenova Project... Is this just a coincidence? Professor Gast... Why didn't you tell me anything? ...Why did you die?

Sephiroth: Yes. Professor Gast, leader of the Jenova Project and genius scientist, produced me.

Vincent: That isn't completely wrong, but just a theory. He was born from a beautiful lady. That lady was Lucrecia. She was an assistant to Professor Gast of the Jenova Project. Beautiful Lucrecia.

Vincent: This body is... the punishment that's been given to me... I was unable...... to stop Professor Gast and Hojo... And Lucrecia... I was unable to stop them... All that I was able to do was watch... That is my punishment...

Hojo: Ha, ha, ha... I offered the woman with my child to Professor Gast's Jenova Project. When Sephiroth was still in the womb, we took the cells of Jenova... HA, HA, HA!!

-----scene:
Vincent goes toward her, she hold out a hand to stop him.)

Lucrecia -  "Stay back!"

(We now enter a series of scenes with no dialogue.)

- We are back in Nibelhiem, many years ago. There are three scientists in walking toward the Shinra mansion: Hojo, Gast, and Lucrecia.
- They are followed by a man in a Turks uniform, the young Vincent.
- The scene changes to Vincent and Lucrecia walking through Nibelheim Town Square, arm in arm.
- The scene changes to outside the mansion. Vincent is handing something to Lucrecia, (an engagement ring?). Lucrecia starts to cry and runs away shaking her head.  Vincent stands and watches helplessly.
- The scene changes again and we see Hojo and Lucrecia at the gate, kissing. Vincent appears, stares sadly a moment, then leaves before they see him)
----end scene

Lucrecia: I wanted to disappear... I couldn't be with anyone... I wanted to die... But the Jenova inside me wouldn't let me die... Lately, I dream a lot of Sephiroth... My dear, dear child. Ever since he was born I never got to hold him, even once... Not even once. You can't call me his mother... That... is my sin... Back!! Stay back!! Vincent... Won't you please tell me?

There is also some NPC dialog that I know is there, but couldn't find on the internet. And I'm not too sure where I saw it.....I think I remember some NPC at Cosmo Canyon saying something about a man visiting. Then saying somthing like the man mentioned something about a great error that he made. But I'm not positive. It was also hinted that that man was Gast. If I remember.

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2004-10-27 07:19:56 »
Yes.  that was eldger Hargo, who drinks @ the bar.  He talks about how 30 years ago, Gast would come in, and talk about his research with the Cetra.  However, he found out on his own that Jenova wasn't a cetra ( "One day, he came in looking very depressed, saying that Jenova wasn't an ancient and that he had done something horrible"), and not through the cosmi's.

And after that, gast was never heard from again.

fabriknos

• View Profile
    • http://www.heavy-industries.net
« Reply #5 on: 2004-10-27 08:27:50 »
i actually learned the truth about Hojo being Sephiroth's father after completing the return to Midgar segment. so that was somewhat of a premature post ;) but thanks everyone for the insight, you could write a book with all this stuff.